Report it, or keep my nose out?

English archer

Just read through this post and tried to reason why would want such a cross. I can see the local chavs buying one and 'training' it through defence to be a mad thing bouncing off the end of a lead whenever it sees another person or dog - the dangerous dog prophecy is then fulfilled.

I am in no way condoning the breeding of banned breeds - we have laws surrounding this and have to abide by these laws. Generalising here but people breeding / supplying dogs outside of these laws do so knowingly and have will have clientele from groups of people who operate in similar circles.

On the bite pressure, a dog with 200lbs pressure has the same ability to kill a kid as a dog further up the 'league'. I would far rather be around a properly trained protection dog (or attack dog as sensationalised here and in the media) than a windy dog with less bite pressure that has no control.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not dispute that Anthony....but we are talking about a cross between a Lab/Pitbull, even if breaks my heart to say this, because I love all dogs, this litter should not be allowed for sale. What its worst its, that now we all know we will feel a little responsible if gog forbid a accident ever happens with a child.

You say that, but the best picking up dog by far on the Cotswold shoot I beat on is a lab x Staffie!

On the bite pressure, a dog with 200lbs pressure has the same ability to kill a kid as a dog further up the 'league'. I would far rather be around a properly trained protection dog (or attack dog as sensationalised here and in the media) than a windy dog with less bite pressure that has no control.

It has more to do with how they bite than the bite pressure, the fact they lock on then pull and shake is what does the damage not the bite.

I am not dispute that Anthony....but we are talking about a cross between a Lab/Pitbull, even if breaks my heart to say this, because I love all dogs, this litter should not be allowed for sale. What its worst its, that now we all know we will feel a little responsible if gog forbid a accident ever happens with a child.

Totally agree...as a minimum it should be investigated and if someone has a pit bull then it should be dealt with.

my cousin has 3 lurchers that never chase as they live on a farm with several pet rabbits and are often out in the garden with them. taught from pups, the same as any dog should be.

a lab picking something up in its mouth isnt a valid point, and is no way on the same level as a dog attacking someone.

and terriers dont always kill rats, if they are trained from a young age they will leave well alone like any other dog.

however, i agree with your point about owners needing to be trained, tested and qualified. it would save ALOT of problems.....

Ok, try training a lurcher to not chase little furry things that run away, a lab to never pick things up in its mouth, a terrier to not kill rats. sure you can work on these things but any dog bred for any specific purpose will always have strong leanings. If the owners were trained tested and qualified your point is more valid - BUT some nut job kept an entire Pit and then bred from it the word DONUT comes to mind

No worries mate! You know your dogs ill give you that! Its a shame they have a bad rep mainly due knobheads Its a shame as i think there a beutifull dog aswell!

Yup its a shame that ther reputation will be ruined now thanks to irresponsible owners,thanks ive just read up as much as i can about 'muscle' breeds initially to educate myself but comes in handy when people (including some of my own family) have questioned me about my staff

Chances are though its not actually crossed with a Pittbull at all and she is simply claiming this because it would appeal to chavs so easier to sell on. I've met many people over the years who claim their dog has as they put it-"part Pitt" in it,but in all honesty its just a Heinz 57.Best one i saw was when someone claimed their dog was part Pitt,but when you looked at its head it was just an English Bull Terrier cross which is completely different.

As long as people keep buying dogs which allegidly are Pittbulls or crosses it keep fanning the flames keeping their reputation alive.

What does that say? its like what is said about small privates and fast cars.

fast cars are legal, pit bulls or pit bull types are not, i have no issues with pit bulls as a breed but what type of mindset do you think would want to knowingly purchase an illegal dog breed that may be conviscated and put down at the whim of a dibble and has a reputation as being a dangerous breed designed purely for fighting?

I would report it; it is a shame for these type of dogs, as i'm sure that in the right hands (like most dogs) they would be ok but given the fact they are clearly physically more capable of causing a lot of damage, the need for them to be in the 'right hands' is even higher.

However - as these so called 'dangerous breeds' do attract a high proportion of half-wit owners who want to look hard (but are unable / unwilling) to train a dog, they become a self fulfilling prophecy.

if chavs wake up tomorrow morning and decide that they would look hardest armed with a yorkshire terrier, im sure the number of attacks by them would increase accordingly - but the damage would be much less.

The pups are not the worry for me, they may turn out to be gentle beasts in the right hands, its the fact that there is a pitball out there that could be dangerous to others.

Its hard to call if you report it the pitball could be found and pups could be destroyed, but if you dont report it the pitball goes on and may put children and other dogs lives risk.

I do not wish for animals to be put down for no reason, however I have to say that if this lady is intentionally breeding or is connected to someone who is breeding an illegal breed (all be it crossing it with another) then the authorities need to be told. I for one would be devastated if I did not report it and one of the pups injured or worse killed someone.

The use of the word "grass" as a description of the OP because he is thinking about informing the authorities is totally out of order. I believe that anyone who has the concern that an illegal activity is going on, especially one which could possibly cause injury or death to an innocent person, has a moral obligation to pass on this information to the relevant agencies.

Absolutely agree, Sometimes it seems like a schoolyard on here, I am waiting to see quotes like 'you don't dob in your mates'etc. we are supposed to be law abiding, a condition of your licence, or at least a reason for recinding it if we break the law to any significant degree. Yes, speeding, we are all occasionally guilty and if we are caught we only have ourselves to blame, but personally, I try not to, I have looked after too many people injured by speeders/drink drivers etc.

To the OP - you are not a 'grass' if you inform the police of a breach of the law, and if you think you can pick and choose what laws you will/will not obey, then you take the consequences, just don't whine if you get caught. I love dogs and would hate to see any put down, BUT - if the law states that particular breeds/crosses pose a higher risk of aggressive behaviour and are deemed illegal, then they need to be put down. It isn't the dogs fault, it is the breeder, but the risk is there, report it. I have worked with dog handlers over the years that told me that some dogs are really unsafe in domestic environments/kids etc, so there it is, if you don't like the advice you get, don't ask. We aren't all nosy jobsworths, but some risks aren't worth it, a child maimed or dead doesn't get up and walk again, and the family lives with the greif forever. Take care, think hard and do what you think is right, not based purely on the emotion of puppies being put down. Oh well, will see what happens when I come back from my holidays..

The other fascinating thing about this thread is those who are willing to abuse others for a differing viewpoint - must be a joy to be with these people.

I'm all for offering an opinion but ramming it down peoples throat is a 'style' I abhor - just MPO

Well put. I also disagree with this rubbish about being a "Grass" are we back at school for goodness sake. If you feel something is wrong, report it. If it is illegal, the authorities will deal with it. if not, there is nothing to worry about.