pcp on a budget?

PotHunter96

hey all i am thinking of getting a pcp to help with the vermin control on my permissions and i was wondering, could i get a decent pcp second hand or new, for £100-£250? or maybe a co2 would be better? thanks! ps. can you use a stirup pump of the sort you use for bike tyres etc for filling them up??

The stirrup pump you use for bike tyres wont do that sort of pressure. Most PCP`s use 180->200psi, not the 40psi a bike tyre uses.

You`ll be struggling I think to get a decent pcp for your budget. You may just about get one for the top end of it (£250), but then you need £100 for the pump, or just get your local gunshop to fill it up for £4 a go. A quick look in the for sale section on here will give you some idea of the prices.

I'm not convinced of the worth of CO2. It's far more susceptible to temperature than a normal PCP and more expensive for filling, although the initial outlay on the gun is lower. The price of PCPs makes the choice a bit more limiting, but for that budget you'll be looking at a second job. You might want to look at the Hatsatn AT-44 10. You could get one of those for £250 if you're prepared to put the leg work in on sites like gunstar.co.uk and guntrader.co.uk. There is one on PW's sister site gunwatch.co.uk for £265 http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/239883-hatsan-arms-at44-10-22/

Reviews of these are great; most people say you get far more gun for your money, even compared to top brand guns. A second hand Logun might be a possibility too?

My rws rapier was on there a while back.... Still got it, scope cylinder, silencer ... The lot 400. Bit more money but everything you need.

My rws rapier was on there a while back.... Still got it, scope cylinder, silencer ... The lot 400. Bit more money but everything you need.

Falcon fn19 the cheapest pcp iv ever owned and it was superb, in fact 2nd faveroute. You can find them for in your budget and buy a second hand pump or get shop to fill it. My local gunshops charge a pound for a fill up you could do that untill you can save enough to buy a pump.

BSA Ultra?

New, they go a little over £300 but you need all the bits on top.

Worth looking at the used market and you may find one with everything for £250.

You are going to more than struggle to find an acceptable PCP for £100.

Personally I'd say stay away from Co2 for any serious vermin/pest control.

I've a hatsan at44-10k for sale comming up soon, safety catch doesn't auto reset but the gun is perfect otherwise, can be seen in Matlock or Alfreton, with scope - bsa contender, x2 mags and sling, currently has jack pyke tough tape on the stock. in .22

£225, soon to be on gunstar,

pm me for details and pics

The stirrup pump you use for bike tyres wont do that sort of pressure. Most PCP`s use 180->200psi, not the 40psi a bike tyre uses.

You`ll be struggling I think to get a decent pcp for your budget. You may just about get one for the top end of it (£250), but then you need £100 for the pump, or just get your local gunshop to fill it up for £4 a go. A quick look in the for sale section on here will give you some idea of the prices.

I've never seen a PCP that will run at 200PSI, I think you meant 200BAR?

hey all i am thinking of getting a pcp to help with the vermin control on my permissions and i was wondering, could i get a decent pcp second hand or new, for £100-£250? or maybe a co2 would be better? thanks! ps. can you use a stirup pump of the sort you use for bike tyres etc for filling them up??

A quick word about pumps.

The air that you should use to fill a PCP must have all the moisture removed through a series of filters first, otherwise the water will mess about with internal components. This is why people go on about using 'Divers tanks' to refill the air. (Rather than a standard compressor).

The cheap (but still £100) option is to buy a hand pump. The slightly more expensive option is to buy a o2 divers bottle that you use to charge your airgun. This can then be refilled for very little cost, but getting the tank/adapters is the expensive part.

Edited by Bleeh

I would like to know just how the internal parts get damaged by water and what documented evidence is there of this?

I recently bought a Benjamine Discovery and out the box it was very poorly assembled.

After getting the reciever to sit flat! Polishing trigger parts and adding the third screw! Lapping the bore and shaping the wrist so my hand reached the trigger better and weighting the fore end some it made a pretty good gun, I miss it in fact and wish I had kept it now.

Its real gem was it only run between 1250psi and 2000psi and was easy to pump up.

It is in a shop for £140!

U.

I would like to know just how the internal parts get damaged by water and what documented evidence is there of this?

I recently bought a Benjamine Discovery and out the box it was very poorly assembled.

After getting the reciever to sit flat! Polishing trigger parts and adding the third screw! Lapping the bore and shaping the wrist so my hand reached the trigger better and weighting the fore end some it made a pretty good gun, I miss it in fact and wish I had kept it now.

Its real gem was it only run between 1250psi and 2000psi and was easy to pump up.

It is in a shop for £140!

U.

why does anyone need documented evidence when answering a question,,metal and water dont mix,it will cause corosion ,my buddy had an AAs410 that would not hold its charge ,on getting it back from the gunsmiths he was told not to use the stirrup pump because it was causing the internals to rust, he was advised to do this by a very competent gunsmith, we found the reason why,,,,he was leaving his stirrup pump in his garage in damp air and thats where the problems started, since the airpump has been kept indoors he has not had any problems at all,oh and his stirrup pump had a moisture filter on it aswell so the damp air was obviously getting past the filter

why does anyone need documented evidence when answering a question,,metal and water dont mix,it will cause corosion ,my buddy had an AAs410 that would not hold its charge ,on getting it back from the gunsmiths he was told not to use the stirrup pump because it was causing the internals to rust, he was advised to do this by a very competent gunsmith, we found the reason why,,,,he was leaving his stirrup pump in his garage in damp air and thats where the problems started, since the airpump has been kept indoors he has not had any problems at all,oh and his stirrup pump had a moisture filter on it aswell so the damp air was obviously getting past the filter

Why? Because I don't always believe everything I hear!

Depends on the metal as to mixing them!

Sounds like your buddy got a foriegn body on a valve seat, quite possibly from internal corrosion. It could also of been from the manufacturer, no?

How come pump up air guns give years and years of service then?

U.