old people

Big Marty

My mother fell today and broke her hip,and at 81 Iam worried that when she goes into Hospital she won't come out..Well you hear it all the time how they were fine up until they had there fall..Even through her pain she was still joking,asking me about some comedy show on Friday asking about washing your Mammy and was I prepared for it...Just wooried about her.....

My Godmother broke her hip and pelvis a little while ago.She is 88 and back home and well on the mend now,but couldn't get fit fast enough as she wanted to care for her terminally ill 86 year old best friend,my Mother! They had been friends since primary school,back in 1933.Don't worry about her;different generation;tough as old boots.

Marty, I can understand your fears but I believe that they are just because we always tend to fear the worst when something like this happens. Your Mum is in very good hands and I am sure that she will be bouncing around again in no time. Like Scully has said, they are from a different generation that us "youngsters" and are as tough as old boots! She faced the Second World War and came through that with flying colours so I am sure that she will do the same with this mate.

My thoughts are with her for a speedy and full recovery - Try not to worry too much mate!

My father in law had a hip replacement in December last year and was up walking the day after. Went home about a week after the op. The old guy is eighty and doing fine. His consultant even told him a story about a confused lady that had had a hip replacement done by himself last November. When the consultant came to do a ward round the day after the op the old dear could not be found. She was later found at home having walked the four mile distance in slippers. Just shows how resilient some people are. Good luck for today

Hi Marty,

I understand your concern, an incident happened to me only 3 weeks ago involving my grandmother of age 71 which is very similar in its nature to the one you describe.

As an a Community responder in my spare time i regularly attend call out involving falls from the elderly, however when i received the message saying 71YO female, Collapse and then the address, i was immediately surprised to see that it was in fact my next door neighbour and indeed my grandmother.

After attending the scene it was immediately apparent that her hip was broken by the inability to raise one leg at all, so i escalated a call to ambulance control who sped up the EMAS vehicle closest by. When they arrived they confirmed that it was indeed a broken him and she would need surgery to repair the pelvis.

She was operated on as soon as she was taken to hospital, such the severity of the break and the possibility of sepsis taking hold. The operation lasted 9 hours and was an agonising time to wait due to the fact that she had previous health issue's which would complicate the whole procedure. However, against all odds she made it through the operation.

Sadly, even after miraculously coming through such a painstaking operation, she did not look well, her vital signs weak, and her breathing extremely laboured.

Only 24 hours after being in hospital, she passed away, only minutes after i left her alone to go and get a coffee.

It turns out that the hospital had given her ventilator associated pneumonia, causing a lung to collapse and to slowly restrict the uptake of oxygen to a level that could no longer sustain life. There is currently an enquiry to her death.

I don't wish to post this to scare you, it is simply not the case that old people will not make it through. My Grandmother was a very ill and weak woman prior to her fall.

I am sorry to hear about this, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Watch her like a Hawk and make sure that someone visits her every day.Make sure that she is drinking and take food in for her-I spent 12 days in hospital in Feb and swear I will never go into a NHS hospital when I get old-I would rather rot at home.Take care of her like she did for you.

Watch her like a Hawk and make sure that someone visits her every day.Make sure that she is drinking and take food in for her-I spent 12 days in hospital in Feb and swear I will never go into a NHS hospital when I get old-I would rather rot at home.Take care of her like she did for you.

I would advise the same thing, how little effort it would have taken to clean the equipment that would have saved my relative is astonishing. Although the hospital in question has already been under scrutiny for terrible standards of care.

I'd be worried about going into an NHS hospital in my 50's nowadays! Anything the NHS can do to save money...

Best way to handle them is to keep on top of them - make sure they realise that any friend or relative going into hospital is expected to come back out alive and is not in the 'DNR' category.