advice on first .22lr

ky322

Evening all, I am in the process of applying for my fac and find myself constantly browsing through guns for sale. I have 5 permissions to shoot all going well, all farms with many many bunnies, crows and pigeons. I am looking for a .22lr and have used a friends cz 452 but quite fancy a ruger 77/22 myself. Any advice/pointers gratefully received

Reflecting Thunderbird really mate. Something small, light and accurate. I have a Anschutz 1441/42 carbine its immense.

My advice give Wabbitbosher on here a PM. Tell him needs and budget he will sort you right out. Top top bloke. And has always got something in stock.

The fact is you will find VERY little difference in the performance of any manufacturers .22lr if we are talking field work. So it really comes down to what you fancy and/or can afford.

Someone will always argue this is better than that, but by way of definition they are all just about as accurate as each other and all as reliable as each other, what more do you want?!

Hence why so many get a CZ, even though they have gone up a lot in price over the last couple of years they still offer a massive choice at a competitive market price! :good:

Edited by Dekers

The fact is you will find VERY little difference in the performance of any manufacturers .22lr if we are talking field work. So it really comes down to what you fancy and/or can afford.

Someone will always argue this is better than that, but by way of definition they are all just about as accurate as each other and all as reliable as each other, what more do you want?!

Hence why so many get a CZ, even though they have gone up a lot in price over the last couple of years they still offers a massive choice at a competitive market price! :good:

+ 1 on this comment, enjoy which ever tool you choose. :good:

You should be able to drop on a semi auto for about £100,then you'll have plenty of money left for a good scope.that way when or if you decide to get a better gun in few years you will already have a good scope to stick on it.better to spend more on your scope than the gun.

Evening all, I am in the process of applying for my fac and find myself constantly browsing through guns for sale. I have 5 permissions to shoot all going well, all farms with many many bunnies, crows and pigeons. I am looking for a .22lr and have used a friends cz 452 but quite fancy a ruger 77/22 myself. Any advice/pointers gratefully received

Best advice, Dont.

Apply for HMR instead, immensly better than 22, and probably safer

I'll have a CZ 452, 16" barrel, SAK Mod, Nikko Sterling Mountmaster scope for around that money up for sale soon. The synthetic stocks are generally lighter and more forgiving if you're in a clacky field.

Not sure where you are though?

Different scope but that's my set up cz 452 style, good workhorse.

Pick something you like the look of, your only enjoy it more then :-).

Best .22lr would be a .17hmr.

Depends very much on his permissions of course !

If the tool you need is a 22LR (quieter than a hmr) then you cant ignore the CZ452. I have the 'style' which has a nickelled 16" barrel and synthetic stock. Dead accurate, light, durable & cheap to run.

Nuff said!

Edited by peek-at

CZ style 16" would be ideal for you. If you need a .22, get a .22. Hmr is a different tool altogether and a bit of a one trick pony compared to the more versatile .22 lr. Hmr is a great vermin calibre though. I use both in different situations. To say the hmr is better than the lr is like saying a 19mm spanner is better than a 14mm spanner. Different tools. Just my opinion, others will probably disagree..

can't go wrong with a BRNO or CZ its not the most made 22 for nothing. next is the ruger 1022 I have one of each BRNO no2 and 1022 the 1022 is my truck gun I can drive and shoot. the brno is for longer range and walking. Both can be found for your budget if I could only have one I'd keep the BRNO

Put in for a .22lr and a .17hmr. both with moderators and expanding ammunition, standard stuff.

The .22lr is for short range to, say, 75 yards and whenever you need to be reasonably quiet such as at night.

The .17hmr is for longer ranges, say 75 to 125 yards mostly during daylight hours.

Both are justified for rabbit control so you should not have too much problem getting both on first application, it saves paperwork later on.

If money is tight, and particularly if you are moving on to rimfire from an air gun, purchase the .22lr first. That is a very versatile gun.

Later on, and particularly if you get frustrated by too many rabbits being a bit too far away for sensible shots with the .22lr, purchase the .17hmr.

Don't get too carried away by make as most guns will shoot better than you can.

Personally I have CZ in .22 and Anschutz in hmr. The Anschutz is clearly better build quality but that does not mean it is any better at shooting rabbits. I am very happy with CZ and a simple trigger kits improves it for just a few quid.

Whatever you buy, particularly in .22lr, ignore what anyone says about ammunition and buy a box each of whatever your local dealer stocks. See what groups best at 50 yards and stick to that. Accuracy is everything!

When your certificate arrives it will put a big smile on your face.