Ideas needed for clearing rabbits

ace_of_hearts

A few weeks ago Scott and I got our first proper permission. The priority for the farmer is 3 fields that are full of rabbits, and if we do a good job of clearing these we should be on for some great pigeon shooting in the future too. The main thing we need is to keep the farmer happy, and make a big dent in the rabbit population. Here is what we have tried so far:

Tactic 1 - Lamping (with air rifles)

This was not really successful, as the rabbits are VERY lamp shy. We struggled to get within 100 yards of them. As soon as they were lit up, they were running. This was the same with red and white light. We had a few goes at this, with no luck.

Tactic 2 - Trapping

We have bought 5 traps and have been using carrots as bait. So far we have caught 2 rabbits in these traps, so have not been massively successful so far. The main problem seems to be that if we set them up, the carrots are really shrivelled and horrible by the morning when we go to check them. Is there something better we can use that will last longer, or is this normal? We have been doing this for a week (checking every day) and it is not ideal as we live 20 miles away from the permission, and is costing us a fortune to check empty traps every day.

Tactic 3 - Snares

I made up 7 snares to use in conjunction with the traps. These have only been tried for 2 nights with no luck. Then i read that they should be buried for a couple of days before use, so maybe these will be more successful in the future. These have the same problems as traps though, in that checking every day is impractical.

Tactic 4 - Ferreting

We know some people who can help us with this, but maybe this is not a good idea due to the time of year and the amount of young, so we have shelved that idea for the time being.

Other ideas

The only other things I can think of is possibly smoking them out (which I have no knowledge of so would be grateful of any information) or applying for my FAC to bring the wary rabbits within range and spend some of the longer spring evenings out shooting them. This idea would take a while though due to applications / shopping.

What are we missing? Any tips or encouragement appreciated :)

You could use a hide or natural cover, I just mean sit still and wait quietly. If there are lots of rabbits there you should wait for 2 to appear and shoot the one closest to you first - if it's a clean head shot the bunny will just roll over and the second will more than likely sit up for a few seconds allowing a second shot off. Don't collect them but wait another 20 minutes for more to appear. If 2 of you wait at different warrens you could get a tidy bag.

I admire your fortitude and determination and I hope you succeed.

Rifle shooting would seem to be your best option. You would then be able to go when conditions were ideal rather than having to drive 40 miles to check traps.

Take an expert with you for a better opinion. There are a lot on PW!

hmr 100 yrds 1 month later no rabbits loved the bit about carrots total "class"

+1 we had some new permission about 6yrs ago nr castleford it was crawling with the little blighters there was that many of them they were living under gorse bushes and didn't even use any sets, so impossible to ferret, every other day for a few weeks night and day and rabbits no more using .17hmr and .22r/f "odd ones" but not noticeable that led us on to get around another 3k acres off the original farm and 2 neighboring :good:

Snares would be the most effective way but you need to know how to use them-they MUST be weathered and you need to know the tricks of the trade.Failing that invite someone along with a .22lr and a couple of boxes of subs,set up in the busiest places and play the waiting game shooting them silently until you get bored and move on.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I am on nights this week, but am free tomorrow and Thursday so i will get down there in the evening and set up with the air rifle. I will speak to the farmer as well to make sure he is happy for us to use rifles, and contact some of the guys on here to maybe show us the ropes if that ends up being the way to go.

I should probably get around to applying for my FAC as we now have plenty of land to shoot over, and no doubt it would be very handy to have.

Set up 30 yards away and down wind from the main warrens and ambush them on warm evenings. Failing that night vision is a god-send.

Best advice regarding shooting them with an air gun ^^^^^^^^.

Try and conceal yourself a bit, make sure you are downwind and keep quiet and still. They will appear, don't rush at trying to shoot them immediately, let a few come out and start feeding, that way you will probably get 2 or maybe 3 before they start to scarper. When they do, leave the shot rabbits where they are, I've never seen a dead rabbit deter the others from coming out and they'll be back faster if you don't start clomping about.

Obviously if you wound one you'll have to break cover if you can't put a killing shot into it.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Best advice regarding shooting them with an air gun ^^^^^^^^.

Try and conceal yourself a bit, make sure you are downwind and keep quiet and still. They will appear, don't rush at trying to shoot them immediately, let a few come out and start feeding, that way you will probably get 2 or maybe 3 before they start to scarper. When they do, leave the shot rabbits where they are, I've never seen a dead rabbit deter the others from coming out and they'll be back faster if you don't start clomping about.

Obviously if you wound one you'll have to break cover if you can't put a killing shot into it.

I will give this a go tomorrow and report back. :good: I have had some good offers of help on here as well with 22LR and 17HMR which would be great, as I have never had experience of proper rifles before and it would be good to get another persons opinion over the land :)

As little movement as possible when playing the waiting game is preferable.

PCP multishot would be ideal. Having to cock a springer is a lot of movement, where as a bolt action PCP is a small effort. Just make the movement very slowly. You could try laying under a bit of camo netting to break up your sillouette.

I remember a few year back I was shooting on a bit of land not far off the A69. I sold a Baikal to a chap called Joe! who said I could shoot on his land. I sat in the tree line for near 2 hours waiting for a rabbit. Eventually it came out of the warren a little at a time. After it cleared the warren by about 4 feet I rested the gun on a branch and took the shot.

Waiting patiently is the name of the game. With a nice clean head shot packed up and went back to the chaps house. He was a bit bemused I only had one rabbit. Thats all I wanted. Besides it wasn't wicked. I lost the lads number and couldn't get back in touch so lost out in the end. It wasn't a big bit of land but it was nicely laid out. Nestled just down a track off the road and the field ran alongside a river. Real shame as I liked.the place as it was real peaceful too.

Edited by Lord Geordie

I've never bothered with any kind of hide with rabbits unless I have to stand. Avoid movement and presenting the silhouette of a human figure standing. Our outline is unique and it spooks pretty much everything. Cover face and hands, keep low, get comfortable and keep still.

I shot 60 rabbits round a pit last year by sitting on a rotating folding stool in the middle of a bare harrowed field and shooting off a tripod with the HMR. I was in full view 100 yds from the pit, but because my skin was ncovered and my shape blurred by camo and I was sitting with my head low and elbows on my knees I looked like a non-descript brown lump and I didn't register as a threat. By having the rifle ready on the tripod and using the scope to scan I avoided all but the tiniest movement. They kept coming out and I kept boffing them over.

You must kill cleanly though, and don't miss any. Make the dirt fly or send a frightened rabbit back to ground with a spanked bottom or a centre-parting and you may as well gone home. Better to refuse a tricky shot and wait for a better chance than make a mess of it and put the whle colony on high alert.

Have fun.

Well we got a few hours out yesterday, Scott and I set up at either side and made up our hides. We set up at around 4.30pm, and was there until dark (8:30pm) and whilst neither of us left our hides, or made a noise, no bunnies came out :(

Maybe it was because the wind was blowing an absolute gale, but we were happy with the setup. Well hidden, downwind and quiet. At least there was one in the trap when we arrived, so i have rabbit and cider stew to take to work over the weekend :D

This is the field we set up on:

QaPPPnB5.jpg

Y2l5J8ye.jpg

yguv6kWb.jpg

Hopefully next time will be more rewarding, although it was a nice evening out