heads up bbc 20.30

kdubya

Is this Panorama?

That's a massive generalisation. The problem is not with Islam, it's with the extremist/fundamentalist sector of Islam.

Seems every time I switch on the news there is the word Muslim mentioned in conjunction with some violence or another either directed at them or there directing it.

Karpman

Seems every time I switch on the news there is the word Muslim mentioned in conjunction with some violence or another either directed at them or there directing it.

Karpman

There are a lot of Muslims in the world, there's bound to be some bad ones among them.

Indeed there is. There's a lot of Christians too but don't here them mentioned half as much nowadays.

Karpman

How about the muppets that rioted after the toon got humped last week, or the 120 arrested across Lanarkshire on Friday? Remember this is using the loose definition of what a christian or muslim is according to the PW massive and/or other generalisations.

Indeed there is. There's a lot of Christians too but don't here them mentioned half as much nowadays.

Karpman

That could be because when there are news stories involving Christians, their religious beliefs aren't referred to, whereas when news stories involve Muslims their religion is nearly always mentioned.

i.e. Boston bombings - I haven't once heard any reference to the religion of the attacked country.

I'm not saying that groups of Muslims aren't using religion to justify terrorist acts, some most certainly are, but it's just very easy to insert the word Islam into an editorial to give it some extra punch - even when Islam has little or no bearing on events.

Most religions have extremists but thankfully there are a small minority. Catholic, Muslim, Protestants, have all had a go at others.

I find it Ironic that Boston was a strong supporter of Noraid back in the day which funded a lot of terrorism, yet when it happened on their own doorstep were full of angst and doing the full "Go Boston Go!" when they found the perpetrators behind it.