American Handgun ownership

I am sat in the lounge in Miami waiting to fly home. Yesterday myself and my colleague went to a range to have a play. He is a complete novice and was quite nervous, I loved it.

Firstly, we told the guy he was a novice and although I was used to shotguns and rifles, I had never used a handgun. "Ok" he says, hands me the 9mm Glock and a box of hollow point ammo and points me to the entrance of the range. No safety talk, no instruction. Slightly worrying.

After establishing a safe handling and loading procedure with my colleague, off we went, 25 round each at 15yds.

He was nervous so was all over the target (p,us a couple of misses), after I had a few shots I would say 80% of my shots were bulls eyes and the rest very close. I am not claiming to be an expert but having never used a handgun I was pleasantly surprised how all my shooting experience at home meant I could shoot a handgun relatively well for a novice. However, the reason I am writing this is that I was so shocked and surprised that all of the Americans on the range who had their own weapons from 9mm to .45 were terrible shots! The guy at the side of me was shooting at 5yds and missing the target quite often. I found this quite worrying! The other two people on the range were not quite so bad but they were still about as good as my colleague who had only shot my shotgun on clays once.

There were some awesome guns on sale, from 50 cal sniper rifles to tiny little pocket handguns. After shooting the Glock I then rented a .45 which was much nicer to shoot and more accurate as it was a lot heavier.

So if this was a representative sample, Americans in general may own guns, but they cannot hit anything with them! If I owned a handgun and needed to use it if I was burgled for example, I would want to make sure the scum bag didn't get up after I shot him...these muppets would just miss and then he would probably shoot them!

Yes it is pretty weird. The same happened to me when I ent to Belgium to try some handguns there, the guy at the range didn't know me, saw my UK FAC gave me a handgun and bullets and said: off you go. I had never even touched a real handgun before, that model (CZ75) tok me about 10 minutes before I figured how to load it and fire it, but I got there in the end.

The funny thing was that after giving me no safety briefing or even inquiring if I was proficient with handguns, the guy has a mardi after me bringing the handgun into the range shop to hand back to him. Says I should put it through the little window to the armoury and that actions like that are careless! Bloody cheek!

I'm glad where me and the wife went in vegas were a bit more safety conscious. Especially with the wife with a Mp5 on full auto! Lol

She did a 9mm glock which she liked and i did the h&k .45 plus a few other guns, m16/ar15 and benelli shotgun.

I think the big difference is not many in the UK shoot and those that do have a clue, in the US loads "throw lead down range" but probably the same % actually shoot!" Also alot think films are realisitc (just like the UK) but there they can pay few $$$ and have a go themselves......

I was in Jersey at the weeekend so thought I'd take advantage of their, erm, more liberal gun laws.

I sent an email in advance, filled in a form and turned up. There was another chap there for the same reason, we both sat through a very thorough safety brief.

We went thought to the range, and our range officer explained the process and how it all works. We were firing .22 to start but after 100 pops I had a cheeky go on a 9mm glock and a .38.

The safety routine was impeccable, everybody shooting fully aware of the procedures and how they should be conducting their business.

I had a chap behind me at all times to help if I had any issues (jams etc). I'm sure he was there primarily for safety reasons. After a few times of showing me how to clear the jam, I was allowed myself (trivial, but enjoyable)

My highest score, double handed at about 15yards was 95/100. Single handed 89.

A most enjoyable day!

22.JPG

Edited by huffhuff

Shot a CZ 9mm in Prague a few weeks ago. The guy at the range was a good teacher and the whole thing only cost about thirty quid.

Strange thing was that, to be honest I didn't really enjoy it that much. I loved my first experiences at the clay ground and out with a rifle. But handgun shooting reminded me more of the occasions when I have to dig out my angle grinder – scary power, not enough precision and lots of hot metal bits pinging about my face!

Not really something I'd go out of my way to do more of. And no, I don't think it's sour grapes.

I was in Jersey at the weeekend so thought I'd take advantage of their, erm, more liberal gun laws.

I sent an email in advance, filled in a form and turned up. There was another chap there for the same reason, we both sat through a very thorough safety brief.

We went thought to the range, and our range officer explained the process and how it all works. We were firing .22 to start but after 100 pops I had a cheeky go on a 9mm glock and a .38.

The safety routine was impeccable, everybody shooting fully aware of the procedures and how they should be conducting their business.

I had a chap behind me at all times to help if I had any issues (jams etc). I'm sure he was there primarily for safety reasons. After a few times of showing me how to clear the jam, I was allowed myself (trivial, but enjoyable)

My highest score, double handed at about 15yards was 95/100. Single handed 89.

A most enjoyable day!

22.JPG

Did you meet the cat? Been meaning to go back and complete the .22 probation so i can shoot CF :)

I am not sure about America but if you go to a range here its safety first. As for hitting the target you can teach almost anyone to put all the rounds in the bull with a rifle in at 25 yards. You could spend weeks trying to teach them to do the same with a handgun.

Quote Shot a CZ 9mm in Prague a few weeks ago.

I own a CZ 75 SPO1 my favourite pistol and very popular here one of the best 9mm pistols. PS if they handed me a Glock I would hand it back to them.

Quote. I could shoot a handgun relatively well for a novice. However, the reason I am writing this is that I was so shocked and surprised that all of the Americans on the range who had their own weapons from 9mm to .45 were terrible shots!

Probably no different than shooters any wear some can and some can't.

Edited by ordnance

Wow! Who'd have thought shooting handguns, AR's and SMG's could be so much fun for normal people - I thought only psychopathic walts would want to do it tho according to the views held on this forum - Views that are propogated by a small group of people with a fear-driven attitude, quite happy to sell their shooting brothers down the river if it diverts attention away from their particular section of the sport.

Wow! Who'd have thought shooting handguns, AR's and SMG's could be so much fun for normal people - I thought only psychopathic walts would want to do it tho according to the views held on this forum - Views that are propogated by a small group of people with a fear-driven attitude, quite happy to sell their shooting brothers down the river if it diverts attention away from their particular section of the sport.

Good post. :good:

Yes it is pretty weird. The same happened to me when I ent to Belgium to try some handguns there, the guy at the range didn't know me, saw my UK FAC gave me a handgun and bullets and said: off you go. I had never even touched a real handgun before, that model (CZ75) tok me about 10 minutes before I figured how to load it and fire it, but I got there in the end.

The funny thing was that after giving me no safety briefing or even inquiring if I was proficient with handguns, the guy has a mardi after me bringing the handgun into the range shop to hand back to him. Says I should put it through the little window to the armoury and that actions like that are careless! Bloody cheek

From your description, I know exactly where this is. Same thing with me - the chap handed me a glock 17, a box of ammo and told me to enjoy myself. For me it was great because I know my way around handguns and didn't want babysitting but I was very nervous about the other people in the range who might be learning how to operate a gun for the first time by trial and error! :o In fairness though, God knows how many times I've been "swept" with a loaded shotgun by an idiot at a clay range in England. I know that black handguns are infinitely more evil than shotguns with pretty engraving and nice wood but dead is dead. :)

And another. :good: