Replacement moderator

I'm having a mod replaced under guarantee. The original one has a serial number and I've been told that had that number been registered on my FAC I would need a variation to have the replacement. (it wasn't so I don't.)

Is this correct? It's not as if its an additional mod just a replacement under guarantee for a broken one!

As I said, it doesn't. The question was just out of interest as I couldn't see any point in going through the variation process for a replacement under guarantee.

The point is its a legal requirement.

It might be a very daft one and not many would argue with that, hence the replies you have got and why so many try to avoid this silliness! :yes::good:

I thought, as Dekers is saying it needs to be registered on your ticket.

Yet Boris is saying there is no serial number from the mod entered on his ticket, so question

1 Who is at fault,

2 If no mod has been registered then has Boris actually got a mod ??? or has he imagined it, hence its broken ???

I have no mod serial numbers actually noted on my ticket, of which i have 5, i have had no issues with the fire arms office,they have been made aware of the issue due to past problems with a mod,

this was not all that long ago.

And i have just checked out of 5 mods i have 2 with a serial numbers on so the other 3 dont exist.

I thought, as Dekers is saying it needs to be registered on your ticket.

Yet Boris is saying there is no serial number from the mod entered on his ticket, so question

1 Who is at fault,

2 If no mod has been registered then has Boris actually got a mod ??? or has he imagined it, hence its broken ???

I have no mod serial numbers actually noted on my ticket, of which i have 5, i have had no issues with the fire arms office,they have been made aware of the issue due to past problems with a mod,

this was not all that long ago.

And i have just checked out of 5 mods i have 2 with a serial numbers on so the other 3 dont exist.

I don't really understand what you are saying. Legally they do exist because they are on your ticket.

Many, many moderators are not stamped with serial numbers, therefore a s/n can not be written on the fac. Just like some shotguns don't have one, which is why NVN is written on the certificate by both firearms licensing and RFD's. Of course there are no issues, how can there be if there is no manufacturers serial number to record.

Are you suggesting that one of my shotguns does not exist just because it has no number.

As Dekers has pointed out, it is a legal matter. By law, serial number or not, one must apply for a variation to acquire a replacement.

I only write this as I would hate for someone new to shooting read this thread and inadvertently get themselves in hot water.

No i was being a little sarcastic.

Its rather hard to understand that all though its a legal requirement to register mods on your ticket as they are classed as a fire arm, i know they on there own are quite harmless. But they do require a condition to obtain. But if you dont have any reg number then you can only put down on your ticket " mod for 30 cal" or simalar.

If FLO dont inforce it then how are we supposed to follow it - to the letter, answer is we cant and they will find it even harder to enforce it it they done follow "there" ruling.

If you change a mod at your local RFD then who knows you have changed it ??? if in the first place you have no serial number to check against.

I'm having a mod replaced under guarantee. The original one has a serial number and I've been told that had that number been registered on my FAC I would need a variation to have the replacement. (it wasn't so I don't.)

Is this correct? It's not as if its an additional mod just a replacement under guarantee for a broken one!

As has been said, strictly speaking, you have to apply for, and be granted, a variation to your cert to acquire the replacement mod. Ridiculous, I know.

The other thing I would note is that the mod which is currently on your cert had a serial number yet that is not recorded on the cert its self. That would tend to suggest that whomever filled out your cert has committed an offence in providing incorrect information by not recording the serial number.

As I say, ridiculous, but something which can be used as a stick to beat you with.

J.

No i was being a little sarcastic.

Its rather hard to understand that all though its a legal requirement to register mods on your ticket as they are classed as a fire arm, i know they on there own are quite harmless. But they do require a condition to obtain. But if you dont have any reg number then you can only put down on your ticket " mod for 30 cal" or simalar.

If FLO dont inforce it then how are we supposed to follow it - to the letter, answer is we cant and they will find it even harder to enforce it it they done follow "there" ruling.

If you change a mod at your local RFD then who knows you have changed it ??? if in the first place you have no serial number to check against.

We all know this situation is daft, I don't see anyone here arguing about that, frankly, I think most of the regions see it as daft and a time waster as well, and I am yet to hear of anyone who has fallen foul of their region for not following the letter.

BUT, you need a spare slot to buy another mod if it is your intention to fit it to a FAC rifle, so your RFD should not even sell it to you if that is your intention if all your slots are full, serial number or not, so he too could face problems!

There was debate some while back, two years or more, about allowing RFD to do 1 for 1 like for like variations, (I "think" it was ACPO) ie. 1 mod for another of the same calibre, one rifle for another of the same calibre. RFD were happy as it was a potential money earner for them but seems to have sunk down a big hole. :/

Interestingly I needed another mod for my new Handi Rifle as none of my existing mods fit (as usual).

In the end I ended up buying almost a complete mod and enabling my existing Wildcat Predator 8 to fit 2 rifles, shorter tubes, new bridge (threaded bit) etc. apart from the front baffle it was a complete mod, The web site makes no requirement for the parts to be shipped to my RFD (even if I included the front baffles) only time that becomes a requiirement is if I put a complete mod in the shopping basket!.

I do have an empty slot on my FAC for a "300 cal" mod for the new rifle but as the existing mod is a "30 cal" and it's still the same mod (just shorter with a different thread) and will be used in 2 configurations on 2 rifles I can't see any requirement to notify as I haven't actually bought a new mod, I just made it possible to use an existing one on 2 rifles that are the same base calibre, in fact I could add a 3rd bridge piece and use it on my other 308 as well!...

Edited by phaedra1106

From the OP it sounds like you are unlucky with your RFD.

If you are replacing a like with like (no serial number) mod you can normally take it into the RFD and swap it over the counter as they will destroy the old one.

From my experience.

A mod can be bought over the counter without a FAC so long as they are not proofed and they do not have a serial number.

In the past I have surrendered one at the FLO as the baffles had burnt out, and got the 1-4-1 done there and then.

From the OP it sounds like you are unlucky with your RFD.

If you are replacing a like with like (no serial number) mod you can normally take it into the RFD and swap it over the counter as they will destroy the old one.

From my experience.

A mod can be bought over the counter without a FAC so long as they are not proofed and they do not have a serial number.

In the past I have surrendered one at the FLO as the baffles had burnt out, and got the 1-4-1 done there and then.

Proofing is irrelevant to this and it is widely held that mods do not even need proof to begin with. I agree with that and so does the barrister who Jackson Rifles employed to write a legal opinion on.

It is perfectly legal to sell a moderator which has been used on a section 1 firearm to someone who is only going to use it on an airgun. This is the ridiculous extent to which our gun laws have become corrupted by meddling fools who do not have to operate them.

J.