Home hot bluing with engine oil

FalconFN

I have just stripped my shotgun and re-oiled the stock but whilst waiting for the oil to dry I messed around with a hot blueing process that I read about on here. I can't remember exactly how it was done but I tried heating the stock screw that needed doing with a blow torch and then wiping a cloth dipped in used engine oil over top. I did this several times and slowly built up the colour until it almost matched. I was pretty pleased with the result so I did the trigger guard too, again with pretty good results.

I wouldn't try it with anything big but for small items it seems to be a good way of blueing on a budget.

I have just stripped my shotgun and re-oiled the stock but whilst waiting for the oil to dry I messed around with a hot blueing process that I read about on here. I can't remember exactly how it was done but I tried heating the stock screw that needed doing with a blow torch and then wiping a cloth dipped in used engine oil over top. I did this several times and slowly built up the colour until it almost matched. I was pretty pleased with the result so I did the trigger guard too, again with pretty good results.

I wouldn't try it with anything big but for small items it seems to be a good way of blueing on a budget.

I definatley wouldn't do that with the like of the barrel :o :o Edited by Lord Geordie

Safety when it.comes to the like of Shotguns. The heat could make the braising between the barrels and rib fail and depending on the amount of heat it could weaken the metal.

very very true, if you are only playing at it, leave the barrels well alone. :yes:

Demonwolf!

I wouldn't advocate heating the barrel :no:

You may ultimately cause distortion to the barrel. The barrel is not under great breech pressures so not likely to fail, but never the less is may cause the barrel to bend, causing accuracy issues :no:

Just my opinion of course!

This looks ok on small items but the larger the area the more likelyhood of distortion.

Edited by Lord Geordie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...