mates dog clapsed

darren m

my mates cocker spaniel clapsed the other day when out for a normal walk .

tried to get up but staggered about ( almost like grass staggers in cattle ).

Any defo not himself so straight to the vet .

straight away the vet said yep this dogs not right , but could,nt put his finger on what was wrong , went through the usual possible poisioning etc low sugar levels etc .

Anyhow the dog was kept in overnight and settled down and is fine again now.

The only unusual thing they could find in the blood tests was a really high amount of potasium , but even the vet could,nt explain this.

Anyway got me thinking back to the incident and although it was just a normal walk , warm day , bit of training etc , the cocker had been munching on a lot of grass.

could that cause anything like this

Happened on our beaters day to the keepers cocker, overnight vet stay then out and see if it happens again. A mates springer used to do it had every test going and no idea of the cause. He had put her on better food was all he could come up with, put her back on wag and its not happened since

Sometimes it is due to kidney function or lack of it - potassium levels are disrupted because toxins cannot be got rid of as quickly. Hopefully nothing as serious as that but can cause all sorts of problems if it continues - affecting the heart as well. I am surprised the vet did not want him to return for a re-test to see if levels sort themselves out.

Sometimes it is due to kidney function or lack of it - potassium levels are disrupted because toxins cannot be got rid of as quickly. Hopefully nothing as serious as that but can cause all sorts of problems if it continues - affecting the heart as well. I am surprised the vet did not want him to return for a re-test to see if levels sort themselves out.

It does not necessarily have to be something introduced into their system i.e. eating grass from a recently sprayed field. There are diseases which they can have which affect the potassium levels in their bodies.

he was put on a heart monitor , but was told that was ok

24 hr later a second bloods was taken , it was normal even the potasium

could well be ferts it does border rape , peas, and barley at the moment

i think we'll stay clear of the area for a bit

he was put on a heart monitor , but was told that was ok

24 hr later a second bloods was taken , it was normal even the potasium

could well be ferts it does border rape , peas, and barley at the moment

i think we'll stay clear of the area for a bit

Good better a one off incident than an underlying medical issue.

Sounds a bit like heat exhaustion if the dogs got a bit of coat on its incredible how quick an active dog can heat up it happened to my Lab (black dogs heat up quicker).

2 of my spaniels did exactly the same thing......it was very worrying....went thro all of the tests.....heat exhaustion.....so they got clipped out to a number one all over much earlier in the spring........never happened after that

My dogs have long thick coats, so we got brush fron the game fair that shreds all the old hair out and if you keep going it really thins the top coat.

Has certainly helped.

One if my dogs I use solely for wildfowling and she keeps a really thick coat except for this time of year because I thin it out.

Sounds a bit like heat exhaustion if the dogs got a bit of coat on its incredible how quick an active dog can heat up it happened to my Lab (black dogs heat up quicker).

As above, Sounds a bit like heat exhaustion

short walks, if possible let them have a swim.

quick walk up the lane first thing in the morning and last thing at night is as much as all mine get in the warm weather