Rabbit culling with .223 AI

Si-Bore

Just put this video together which was shot on Sunday when I was out to cull some rabbits on the moors. I shoot from a set point as walking over the grounds where the heather grows is not permitted due to game birds nesting. Hence the requirement of longer shots and the use of suitable centrefire rifles.

http://youtu.be/KvMDoZaJxZc

Thanks Mike. Not much of an advantage in reality. Just a little different. Keeps one interested. ;) I am gaining 150-200fps using the 53's. fire forming load was 24.5g N133 running at 3350fps and the AI load is 26.2g N133 running 3500 fps.

Si

That's some pretty accurate shooting there Si! I'm not always a big fan of long range vermin shooting as I believe that one should use a bit of fieldcraft to get to within reasonable close range of your quarry, but the explanation you have given (I shoot from a set point as walking over the grounds where the heather grows is not permitted due to game birds nesting.) more than justifies it and shows the need for "long range vermin shooting" at certain times and in certain conditions.

Well done! :good::good::good:

Cracking vid :good:

Is the 595 the preferd action to build off si ?

Karl.

Hi Karl.

It's personal preference. Actions like the Rem 700 are like Lego and aftermarket parts available to fit for everything. 595 is not as generic but IMO its a nicer action. It's very well made, strong and has a nice bolt/action. Dave and I both prefer them. Dave is a gunsmith. I've spoken to other smiths who feel the same regarding the 595 but others prefer the parts available for the 700.

Cheers

Si

Hi Karl.

It's personal preference. Actions like the Rem 700 are like Lego and aftermarket parts available to fit for everything. 595 is not as generic but IMO its a nicer action. It's very well made, strong and has a nice bolt/action. Dave and I both prefer them. Dave is a gunsmith. I've spoken to other smiths who feel the same regarding the 595 but others prefer the parts available for the 700.

Cheers

Si

Thank you,I have a build coming up in 221 rem fb and was looking at the 595 as a base :good:

All the best

Karl.

Its interesting how walking disturbs the nesting birds and firing .223 rounds over their heads doesn't, you learn something every day

It is interesting but a fact. I've shot on this area for 3 years and never caused a game bird to fly off or run when I've fired. Unlike when I walked through (to pick up rabbits despite it not being permitted) where birds would regularly take to the air. Also it risks trampling nests.

Thanks Mike. Not much of an advantage in reality. Just a little different. Keeps one interested. ;) I am gaining 150-200fps using the 53's. fire forming load was 24.5g N133 running at 3350fps and the AI load is 26.2g N133 running 3500 fps.

Si

yep thats fast ,i'm supprised it did not vaporise the bunnys.i used to run 26 grn v grenades in a 204 :whistling:

nice vid, great shooting, what do you find quieter the dm80 or the wildcat p8 ?

They seem to be fairly well matched IMO. I have heard some DM80 versions which I'd say would be louder but my version was a slim lightweight 17 Rem mod b4 I had it bored out and it's still as quiet as P8 but much lighter.