Just got my first Shotgun, few questions

kmanmx

Just picked up my first shotgun. Chose a brand new Browning 525 32" Sporter. Originally was going to get a 28" or 30" but the 32" demonstrated to me felt great in the hand and shoulder to me. I'm a pretty big guy so it seemed like a good fit.

Anyway, I have a question or two:

How do I store it ? I mean, so I dry fire it with nothing in? Do I put in some snap caps and then fire it? Or snap caps but don't fire it ? Forgive me for such a beginner question, but i'm really not sure what the best practice is.

Any other tips on cleaning, maintaing it would be greatly appreciated!

Heres a pic..

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AACa_ln9p2x9roOWFBLUdrrHKmxJLlqx-2ef9_X4Noj5_A/12/123595728/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/20130625_142825-1.jpg/MM9S26FuOlSHsrxyD6wosSrJypzHYMIRN9Aap1fNQkE?size=1600x1200

Cheers!

Edited by kmanmx

On new guns these days, I would not bother dry firing (with or without snap caps), just store is as is.

Depending on where you cabinet is , you may want to store gun in a gunsock (silicon imprenated is better) to keep moisture away.

As for cleaning, clean it when it's dirty, mine gets a full length mop through it after each shoot, but that's about it.

it 's all down to personal preference.

p.s. if you shoot in the rain a wipe all over the metal parts with napier VP90 or similar I'd recommend.

Do not waste your money on snap-caps - possibly the biggest waste of all time. they serve no known purpose, except extracting money from buyers.

I spray the outside of the metal work with WD40 or similar and wipe it off every time I use it. It removes any finger marks, which might start to rust.

Thanks guys. I think i'll leave it as is for now then. So once i've fired my last cartridges, I literally just eject them, close the gun again and leave it as is until I come to use it again?

Yeah. How long will you be storing the gun without shooting? Mine gets left for up to a month at a time - no ill effect.

Also, be careful with WD40 and oil - if you let the wood soak it in over long periods you'll wreck the wood.

Yeah. How long will you be storing the gun without shooting? Mine gets left for up to a month at a time - no ill effect.

Also, be careful with WD40 and oil - if you let the wood soak it in over long periods you'll wreck the wood.

Probably about the same. I hope to shoot one or twice a week but it no doubt will go for longer at times without being shot.

But thanks for the advice everyone, top stuff. I like the barrels pointed down tip :good:

Get yourself a bore snake and they make cleaning very quick and easy after shooting i give the barrels a squirt of gun cleaner run the bore snake through and then just put a bit of oil down the barrels. Just a cloth with a bit of cleaner on over the action and outside of the barrels and thats it done.

After a few shoots or if i know will be staying in the cabinet for a long time i give it a proper clean and break it down and use the cleaning rods.

As for snap caps i bought some when i first started shooting but dont bother anymore, only useful if practicing mounting loading etc.

i clean and oil my beretta after everytime i have used her, which is every 2 weeks

i would reccomend you use a gun sock as others have said, something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUN-SOCK-FOR-RIFLE-SHOTGUN-SACK-SHOOTING-HUNTING-NEW-/150842905528?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item231ef013b8 or the browning vci http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Browning-Gun-Sock-One-Piece-VCI-Corrosion-Protector-Brand-New-Black-/161033126444?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item257e52822c

which is what i use

also store the gun barrels down

also dont wipe over the wood with gun oil/wd40 as it will mess it up

I personally wouldn't use wd40 as its water based and will cause rust if left on exposed metal, I would use a gun oil

I thought WD40 was a water dispersent and rust inhibitor :/ ?

Barrels down also stopps you biffing the stock on the cabinate as much.

I've already lined all the edges of my case in padding to stop this very issue. The first time I hit the stock on the side of the cabinet, I wept a few tears and couldn't bear to see if there was any dings - fortunately it was fine.

The shop gave me Napier Gun Oil to use. But i've no real idea how much to use. A few sprays and leave it, or spray and then wipe off the drips... or even wipe everything to just leave a very very fine oil film. I've seen some people say not to even use oil, and use grease instead. So i'm at a loss. Too much conflicting information on the internet...

Edited by kmanmx

get a remington gun sock for £7 on ebay or browning ones about £14 this will protect from light knocks and bangs

and some moisture in cabinet as both are silicon impregnated

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remington-Silicone-Treated-Gun-Sock-52-Rifle-Shotgun-Shooting-Oil-Air-Bag-Slip-/160902726917?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item25768cc505

750ml leiga red gun oil here

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/1369/Browning-Legia-Gun-Oil/

and leiga gun stock spray here

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/4560/Browning-Legia-Stock-spray/

Job done, replace oil and stock spray when run oot

A decent rod cleaning kit also and plenty of old t shirts to cut up :)

Edited by maxus77

Wd40 is a penetrant but it is water based and if left on exposed metal it will cause rust, we only use it for removal of bolts and cleaning but after cleaning we use de greaser, the coat in hydraulic oil or grease dependant on the part of the turbine I'm working on as the stuff causes rust

Clean after every time you take it out even if you don't fire a shot.rub over with a lightly oiled rag.look after it properly and it will look after you.all guns are precision engineered and should be treated with the utmost care and attention.i never store my guns barrels down as I only give the slightest of oil and had no problems in over thirty years.