what do you do if pulled by the police?

lets face it obstruct him and you could well end up cuffed and in the back of his car while he has a look.

Why people don't read properly what other people write....................so lets read again....

Posted Today, 12:25 AM

So......a normal police officer, can ask to inspect a gun on the street? ??? I would not let him touch the shotgun/firearm, I would offer him, part of the gun at one piece at the time, but not the all gun, explaining in a very polite manner of why I wouldn't feel comfortable of him holding the all gun.
I did not write...No you ******* pig get off my shooter before I shoot your head off.
Why do we take off the bolt....the fore-end or the trigger mech of any type of firearm/shotgun????? Its one of the first lesson that they teach you in the army.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant believe some of these answers, if a police officer pulls you over and wants to inspect your gun give it to them (unloaded of course) whether he/she is experienced or not what can they do wrong with an unloaded gun. The average police officer when told you have firearms in your vehicle only want to see them and not handle them.

Well I can't belive that you just wrote that....little scenario....Police officer, inspect a semi-automatic shotgun, cock it back or find it already cocked...by mistake or stupidity, because he doesn't know what he is doing....he presses the release button, with his little finger in the chamber....guess what happens next

Well I can't belive that you just wrote that....little scenario....Police officer, inspect a semi-automatic shotgun, cock it back or find it already cocked...by mistake or stupidity, because he doesn't know what he is doing....he presses the release button, with his little finger in the chamber....guess what happens next

He knows not to do it again...

I really don't see the issue here. I've been approached by the police twice and all I've done is unloaded and put the gun down. If they want to see it then they can see it, handle it or whatever. You will still be standing there so a quick " I wouldn't stick your fingers in there fella, it bites" would be all they would need. They'd most likely take your advice and avoid a painful experience.

At the end of the day if a copper wants to do something he's going to do it. It's up to you to decide how smoothly that process is and how long it takes. If you make his life easy he'll return the favour.

Sorry but you are the one perpetuating the ridiculous.

Contrary to your belief, police officers are not complete cretins and like my 4 year old grandson are quite capable of holding a firearm.............. I bet most manage to dress themselves in the morning and even pass their driving test.

He knows not to do it again...

I really don't see the issue here. I've been approached by the police twice and all I've done is unloaded and put the gun down. If they want to see it then they can see it, handle it or whatever. You will still be standing there so a quick " I wouldn't stick your fingers in there fella, it bites" would be all they would need. They'd most likely take your advice and avoid a painful experience.

At the end of the day if a copper wants to do something he's going to do it. It's up to you to decide how smoothly that process is and how long it takes. If you make his life easy he'll return the favour.

Absolutely I fully agree with you, still its better to prevent than to repair

Sorry but you are the one perpetuating the ridiculous.

Contrary to your belief, police officers are not complete cretins and like my 4 year old grandson are quite capable of holding a firearm.............. I bet most manage to dress themselves in the morning and even pass their driving test.

Maybe its ridiculous for some and for you too, I just think its better to make a gun safe before hand it to someone that you don't know, about coppers not being complete cretins.....no comments, I do know a few, really nice people too, but some are not the shiny jewel when it comes down to grey matter.

some of these responses are scary,

we are always complaining that the police are making their own rules up regarding firearms (you have to phone 101 before you go out and get cad number )and many other things that someones feo has said or not said and multible people are on here saying dont do it, if it becomes common place then it will become accepted and the made law.

so what is the first thing people are doing when being pulled over while going about their legal job/hobby ? say they are carrying guns. as already stated they would have done a pnc check and if the car is in your name they will know you are a gun owner.if they ask then tell them no reason to lie.

if you are and they ask to check it then let them they have that right.

if they want to look in the boot of your car or van then tell them where to go,they have to have probable cause to search your your prperty they just cant do it.

if people keep letting the police do what ever they want it becomes common place and open to abuse.

Maybe its ridiculous for some and for you too, I just think its better to make a gun safe before hand it to someone that you don't know, about coppers not being complete cretins.....no comments, I do know a few, really nice people too, but some are not the shiny jewel when it comes down to grey matter.

If an officer asks to see your gun, you can be pretty sure they are not going to let you start dismantling it in front of them. They will expect to see it without any hassle at all

Edited by Big Mat

Listen up folks. This is a real copper talking not just someone making **** up.

If the police check your vehicle against the police national computer it tells them who the car is registered to, where it is registered to and the details of the vehicle including vin number and engine size.

It does not tell them WHO is driving and if the registered keeper holds a SGC or FAC.

To find out those details the police have to pull you over and ask some questions.

If they run a check on you on the police national computer it will come back saying that you have a SGO, FAC or both.

It does not detail the firearms held.

For that they would have to check the national firearms licensing database. This can not be done if they are driving behind you and they don't know who you are.

Don't assume that everything is known before your stopped. To be honest this can get my back up a bit and it usually people who have something to hide or a long history with the police who do it.

If you have your guns in the car and they are visible and you get stopped it would be worth mentioning it early. It wouldn't bother me but some people are very nervous around guns. If the officer would like to inspect them to check they are the same ones licenced to you what's the problem. If you'd had your guns knicked I'm sure you would like it if the police recovered them.

Odds are you will be on your way in no time but if your guarded and not very helpful all it would do is make me suspicious that you have something to hide. Just like when dealing with anyone else.

Any police officer can take possession of your guns and don't think you can decide who you can and can't give them to.

I hope this helps. Any questions feel free to ask.

So a police officer without a firearms licence can remove guns and bolt, ammo etc away from you into there own possession ???

This is not a funny statement and I am not questioning the the law but i would think from a safety point of view it would be down to a fao or aro to take these from your custody, I would not let my wife do this with my guns , and I NO she is competent, so why should I let a stranger , have all police been trained in handling all types of rifles and making them safe,

As stated before I'm not been predantic just was not sure on this situation.

Delburt0.

Edited by delburt0

They're only going to take them down the nick and have a firearms officer make them safe if needed and lock them away. I don't think they're like to try and load them for a bit of plinking.

how do they no if they are not loaded in the first place , if they can't make them safe themselves they should not be handling guns , as everyone on here should agree.. Edited by delburt0

When i had a check up after being put on antidepressants the copper told me there and then he could remove the guns in question as firearms had said carry on .

Police are only human.give them **** and expect it back .

I will say that some think they can push you around

how do they no if they are not loaded in the first place , if they can't make them safe themselves they should not be handling guns , as everyone on here should agree..

You have had the benefit of advice in a post from a Police Officer - Why can you not accept that? It is certainly more right than your offering above!

If you are obstructive and cause suspicion then you can expect to be kept away from your guns and locked in the back of a police car until an armed response unit comes to inspect them, ensure they are safe and are lawfully in your possession; a process that could inconvenience you for some considerable time!

Needless to say you should not have a loaded gun in a public place as it is an offence!

Edited by Abacist

how do they no if they are not loaded in the first place , if they can't make them safe themselves they should not be handling guns , as everyone on here should agree..

The Policeman above has told you he can take your guns,there is also a post with the relevant section that they can do it.So there is no point in arguing if they want to take then they can.

When mine were removed the Sgt who did it didn't have a scooby,i talked him through each weapon and showed him serial numbers,i also showed that each one was clear as it came out of the cabinets,he thanked me for making an awkward job easy for him,i also thanked him for his sympathetic approach.but the fact remained if i had said no to them being taken i would have been arrested for obstruction/breech of peace and they still would have taken them

You have had the benefit of advice in a post from a Police Officer - Why can you not accept that? It is certainly more right than your offering above!

If you are obstructive and cause suspicion then you can expect to be kept away from your guns and locked in the back of a police car until an armed response unit comes to inspect them, ensure they are safe and are lawfully in your possession; a process that could inconvenience you for some considerable time!

Needless to say you should not have a loaded gun in a public place as it is an offence!

read my thread again mate dont think its sank in .......

I was not at any point questioning the law I was just wanting it verifying that a officer that is not fully trained to do so could handle firearms.

I have been pulled so to speak on several occasions by the police whilst shooting and I have been more than cooperative on all occasions.

I always carry copies of my sgc fac land entitlement even mine and the dogs insurance.

And as said always 100% cooperative.

I was not questioning myself been untoward a officer or sat In the back of a police car as I would like to believe that wouldn't happen.

But from a h&s point of view if a officer found me collapsed for instance at the side of a car with my rifle laid at The side of me would a. Normal beat officer no how to handle a gun and make it safe.

Same as stated not after a debate just asking a question.

Edited by delburt0

I was not at any point questioning the law I was just wanting it verifying that a officer that is not fully trained to do so could handle firearms.

He can, one assumes thay have a basic knowledge, if not it's their problem once they pick it up.

But from a h&s point of view if a officer found me collapsed for instance at the side of a car with my rifle laid at The side of me would a. Normal beat officer no how to handle a gun and make it safe.

Probably not, but as above would probably know enough to be able to lock it away without killing himself.

He can, one assumes thay have a basic knowledge, if not it's their problem once they pick it up.

But from a h&s point of view if a officer found me collapsed for instance at the side of a car with my rifle laid at The side of me would a. Normal beat officer no how to handle a gun and make it safe.Probably not, but as above would probably know enough to be able to lock it away without killing himself.

thanks for answering that mongrel I suppose its down to the individual and situation.

Shame the > quote (real copper) or friends couldn't give me a sensible answer..

You'll find that regardless of whether or not a police officer is capable of making a weapon safe or not the only ones allowed to do this are the firearms officers.

Even if the officer in question has an fac/sgc they would not be allowed to clear the weapon and green tag it as made safe.

Re the above some are trained to make safe, including soco officers, everytime I have cone across one it gets put in a ballistic bag and taken to someone who can signit as clear, despite being able to clear pretty much any weapon iI am not authorised to do so. unless I can get someone trained to attend the scene to do so first of course . As for authority to posses them its clear in the legislation that police are authorised and makes no difference if fao or not.

And to stop splitting hairs that's uthorised when on duty on official business, otherwise everytime a copper takes one from a criminal he would be breaking the law himself, same as seizing drugs, offensive weapons etc etc etc.

Edited by GingerCat

Re the above some are trained to make safe, including soco officers, everytime I have cone across one it gets put in a ballistic bag and taken to someone who can signit as clear, despite being able to clear pretty much any weapon iI am not authorised to do so. unless I can get someone trained to attend the scene to do so first of course . As for authority to posses them its clear in the legislation that police are authorised and makes no difference if fao or not.

And to stop splitting hairs that's uthorised when on duty on official business, otherwise everytime a copper takes one from a criminal he would be breaking the law himself, same as seizing drugs, offensive weapons etc etc etc.

thanks ginger you have answered the questions I was not sure on , atb.. Del...

It is only an offence to have a loaded gun in a public place if you do not have good reason for having it.

It is only an offence to have a loaded gun in a public place if you do not have good reason for having it.

Precisely! Reasonable excuse or lawful authority. A lot of people think that 'public place' is only somewhere like a public street which isn't right. Lots of privately owned property (like fields) fall under the definition of a public place.

J.