What's your kill ratio ???

Lg1

Well this surprises me. I shoot a lot with PW member limestone cowboy, so he can verify my averages.

I know my hit rate is higher than his, but after reading this, it seems that he is probably better than the average.

I like to think that my kill rate is about 3 kills out of 4 shots. Quite often higher than that. Only last week I was with limestone cowboy, and I'd killed 14 birds with 14 shots before I failed with one. And to be honest I think I hit that ,but it didn't come down.

I have been shooting for over 40 years, so you could say ,if I haven't got the hang of it now I never will.

I used to shoot clays about 10 years ago and did quite well, but when I go now, which is very rare, I shoot rubbish. Out of practice. I do so much better on live pigeons.

Edited by caeser

depends on how you are shooting them, the other day i was shooting a flightline into a wheat field not on my permission and i was at about 2.5 carts to1 bird and that was shooting pretty well. Two days later and i was decoying on some failed rape and shot about 4 for every 3 birds and i really didnt shoot very well missing some real sitters.

i struggled yesterday after having 3 weeks off to let my elbow rest. i couldnt hit a barn door with a shovel but by the end of the day i was hitting what were real hard curving away shots (well to me they are hard)

so with me its practice makes the job easier but even going out 3 4 or 5 times a week i was only getting 2.4 shots to a bird but i am presuming that the more i practice the better i will get.

not that i am competitive when pigeon or crow shooting its just my inner will to improve myself not beat or be better than anybody else.

cheers

Daz

I won't pretend i'm the best shot in the world, but i get really annoyed with myself if my ratio gets anywhere near 2:1 over decoys. If i shoot 75 - 80 pigeons per 100 shots, then i'm fairly happy.

I,m around that mark, once shot 88 pigeons for 100 carts about 3 years ago, but would say on a normal day it would be 7 to 8 birds every 10 carts, but do have spells were I will miss a bird both barrels that winds me up a bit, then I will shoot a dozen straight

mine seems to vary wildly Ive had some good days, and some absolute howlers.

i do find though, that if i have been using rifles for a few weeks and not touched the shotgun, it takes a while to get my eye back in. anyone else find this?

Edited by pegasus bridge

There are so many variables to do like for like comparisons.

When birds are decoying well then I tend to choose my shots. If birds won't play ball then I tend to take "riskier" shots if you like. Like someone said if you chase a missed shot with a second barrel then your kill ratio gets hit hard too.

I've had good days when I'm on just over 1:1 probably average closer to 1:2 but had terrible days too. I'm usually happy on 2:3

I think if you hit every bird every time it would get a bit tedious.

Edited by Cosd

Normally I hit 2/4 sometimes 2/3. Went out yesterday and had a good session, shooting well for me!.

What really brasses me off is when you hit some really good birds and even have a some right and lefts ( or over and unders ) and then you miss the real easy ones. If there is such a thing as an easy one.

Why?

Haha we all do it I'm sure! It's a bit of complacency I think. Also because its so close we just aim straight at them and forget that even know there so close there still moving.

Don't forget the lead?