Took car for MOT.

Lord Geordie

What a fab day! I was woken at silly oclock by a text! I was apparently recieving a parcel sent for SWMBO. This promptly arrived 15 mins or so later. I couldn't get back to sleep so decided ro take the car for it's MOT! It wasn't due till 1st august but I just wanted to see if it was going to need any work.

I dropped the car off at the garage at approx 10am and left the car with him. I said I would leave it with them and go for a walk. I took a slow walk down to the river bank and just meandered down the paths looking at all the plants etc.

I called into the Pub at 11am to use the toilet and had a nice cold lemonade and sat out front overlooking the river. I was watching either sea trout or salmon leaping and 3 seals playing about. The sun was bleaching down and man it was hot. Just as I finished my Lemonade a Jay flew right out of the bush in front of me and crossed the river. Beautiful colours in the sun.

I got a call just after 4pm to tell me the car was ready. I picked up the car and my MOT pass sheet. The Guy said all it needed was a new brake light bulb which HE had changed for me!

:hmm: i only put brand new LED lights in a week ago AND checked the car over myself before submitting it for a test! Never mind! I told him about the LED bulbs and his face changed! I knew he was bulling.

Got home after 6 hours in the sun with a Burned head and arms, a MOT pass sheet and a matching set of LED stop/tail lights. The replacement was an uncanny match to the ones I ordered from the far east :lol:

I managed to get a few piccies of bits n bobs with my naff phone camera.

2013-07-24_13_21_10.jpg

2013-07-24_13_23_46.jpg

2013-07-24_10_26_08.jpg

2013-07-24_13_19_09.jpg

Some of those MOT places are real shysters! I took a car in for it's first MOT and when I went to collect it was told oil was leaking from both front shocks. I was livid and told the guy to wipe off the oil they had put on and write out the ticket. He looked very sheepish and in hindsight I wish I'd shopped the thieving g i t as others will have been conned by him. During the rest of that cars life it never failed an MOT on front shocks!!!

Edited by old rooster

Your M.O.T must be different than ours. We book it into a centre that just tests the vehicle, doesn't do any work to them.

I think if you read what he said they did not put a bulb in to it as is dose not have any bulbs :whistling:

I think its best to find a good garage that you get on with the people and they do not rip you off and stick with them. :good:

I think if you read what he said they did not put a bulb in to it as is dose not have any bulbs :whistling:

I think its best to find a good garage that you get on with the people and they do not rip you off and stick with them. :good:

i have used the same garage for 3 years and always thought he was a bit expensive....

then the clutch went a bit dodgy in the grand vit....he quoted me £440 with the breakdown of £280 for the clutch and £160 for labour.....

Found out a neighbour has his own garage...only started chatting as our sons started playing together....

He had a look and said it might be the clutch but dont think it is......£160 for the same clutch and £140 for labour....

Was not the clutch but some bit of metal had come off hence the noise

He will now do both our cars

As an mot tester lets put some of this in contexts, computerization does not void an existing test. Early submission for test up to 30 days is aloud to encourage owners to keep their vehicles legal. If it fails the test you just need to get it repaired and resubmitted for retest with in 10 working days. Also you should be aware that no mot means no insurance! read your polices. :good:

In the eighties, one of the girls who worked for me took her Fiat 500 into a garage. The mechanic told her the problem was that the car was running on three cylinders only. Bernadette told him it only had two cylinders when she set off for work and was impressed that another cylinder had been added.

Edited by Gordon R

As an mot tester lets put some of this in contexts, computerization does not void an existing test. Early submission for test up to 30 days is aloud to encourage owners to keep their vehicles legal. If it fails the test you just need to get it repaired and resubmitted for retest with in 10 working days. Also you should be aware that no mot means no insurance! read your polices. :good:

So my garage are fibbers? Not that I would be surprised by that revelation, so if my car fails the mot it is still legal to drive and mot'd for the next ten days? Happy days if that's correct

The car passed it's MOT anyway! I don't understand WHY he felt the need to blatantly tell porky pies? It seems very strange! The car is in exceptional condition for 18 years old. The only problem I have is a very slight weep from the power steering. Apparently thays common place on these cars!

I was thinking about this all afternoon and was chuckling away to myself! After telling him about the LED bulbs, He will be squirming because surely he KNOWS I would check it out! :lol: :lol:

Still, I enjoyed the day out!

The reason it was at the garage from 10-4 was because I said I would leave it with him! I wasn't in a hurry as I enjoy a mooch around that area. I have done since I was a Kid.

It was better than being cooped up indoors for the day. :yes:

Columbo indeed :rolleyes:

Oh! One last thing!

I.will be going back to take some better piccies soon :lol: :lol:

So my garage are fibbers? Not that I would be surprised by that revelation, so if my car fails the mot it is still legal to drive and mot'd for the next ten days? Happy days if that's correct

NO.

If the vehicle suffers a defect that renders it dangerous to use I believe they have a duty to stop the vehicle from going on the road! I may be wrong, but a friend of mine had a Mini with a huge gaping hole in the floor and the drivers seat was going THROUGH it. The garage refused to let him take the car unless on a loader.

Your M.O.T must be different than ours. We book it into a centre that just tests the vehicle, doesn't do any work to them.

I took my nieces car in for an MOT, they rang me to say it was ready, it needed a sidelight bulb, which they replaced, I paid for the test and the bulb,

This was my mates garage, but I would like to think for the sake of a simple bulb everyone would get this service

:shaun:

I took my nieces car in for an MOT, they rang me to say it was ready, it needed a sidelight bulb, which they replaced, I paid for the test and the bulb,

This was my mates garage, but I would like to think for the sake of a simple bulb everyone would get this service

:shaun:

The point is, I got a porkie pie! NOT a bulb :lol: :lol: how many garages do you know that supply snacks while you wait :lol: :lol: :lol: