Best motor recovery company

Scully

check your vehicle is covered, RAC wouldnt cover my transit because of vehicle length.

RAC provided great service whilst we were members though.

AA covered it though so with them now, but cant comment on service as so far havent required their assistance.

some bank accounts give you cover included also so may be worth looking into that

3 hours 20 minutes for the AA to turn up, 3 weeks ago!

Told an hour when I made the initial call at 8pm, a sub-contractor sent me a text a little before 9pm saying they would be with me at 10:05pm, phoned AA and complained, was told nothing else they could do. At 10:20pm still no show, so called AA back and really complained and asked to speak to supervisor/manager, finally got an AA patrol o me at 11:20pm. The most galling thing was that I was only 2 miles from home.

I will be looking at an alternative come renewal time.

Anyone no what Green Flag are like? The are running at ad campaign on TV at the moment. 50% off your next renewal cost if they fail to arrive within the hour.

check your vehicle is covered, RAC wouldnt cover my transit because of vehicle length.

RAC provided great service whilst we were members though.

AA covered it though so with them now, but cant comment on service as so far havent required their assistance.

some bank accounts give you cover included also so may be worth looking into that

Autoaid. http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/ Good price, decent service and have paid out without problems for me. (You have to pay the recovery vehicle when they recover you then reclaim it from Autoaid - though on several occasions they've not asked me to pay and just gone straight to Autoaid for the money - result!)

Forgot to add they cover you (and spouse) not a specific car - so whatever I'm driving (even if not my car) I'm covered. They don't do European cover though, that's the only problem.

GEM is who I always used before I managed to get cover through work, amazingly I never had to use them but my parents did and found them excellent.

I often see people at work who have to wait hours for the RAC / AA or are shocked when they have to pay £100 + to them to be recovered from an collision.

I've just joined RAC, £55:50 (half price) for first year and the cheapest I could find that will pick you up and tow you wherever you need to go. As mentioned by others it's YOU not the car that's covered with RAC which is reassuring if your a passenger in someone else's car.

Fortunately not had to use them yet so can't comment on service or speed of arrival.

ATB 425

Autoaid. http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/ Good price, decent service and have paid out without problems for me. (You have to pay the recovery vehicle when they recover you then reclaim it from Autoaid - though on several occasions they've not asked me to pay and just gone straight to Autoaid for the money - result!)

+1 Cant fault these at all, would NOT go back to AA or RAC :good:

+1 Cant fault these at all, would NOT go back to AA or RAC :good:

Seems a bit messy paying a recovery firm that autoaid send out top dollar and then having to claim it back from them, its just insurance..its not a recovery firm at the end of the day how any people have a spare £500 + if you have to get towed a couple of hundred miles ??? Thinking about it with the odds they are playing with there just like bookies :)

Edited by markreed

Seems a bit messy paying a recovery firm that autoaid send out top dollar and then having to claim it back from them, its just insurance..its not a recovery firm at the end of the day how any people have a spare £500 + if you have to get towed a couple of hundred miles ??? Thinking about it with the odds they are playing with there just like bookies :)

Good point that you pay up front I suppose but it works good for me :good:

Which cover have you got with RAC on here as it looks very expensive to get the same level of cover that I have with autoaid?

http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/?gclid=CLHc0sPg_bgCFZMQtAodyz0A0g&gclsrc=aw.ds

I work part time for a Breakdown & Recovery operator who provide services for many of the insurance companies and Motoring organisations,

Most breakdown cover that comes as part of vehicle insurance policies tend to be very minimal cover, Typically Roadside Assistance and Local recovery (ie within 10 miles)

RAC only operate a very few recovery trucks, typically 1 in say the 'South East' another in the 'Midlands' etc, so chances are you'll be recovered by an agent/subcontractor.

Im not even sure they operate their own patrol vans after a certain time at night or before a certain time in the morning.

Out of all of the them RAC is by far the worst I've had to deal with so far, We get jobs sent through where the member called the RAC 1hr, 2hrs or even longer ago, then we have to attend within 45mins.

Been with the AA 10 years always had a great service. Got a gold card now and free key cover for the length of time I have been with em.

In ten years called em out 4 times and always been there in under the hour and either got me going or towed me and never had a contractor.

Costs me 112 or so a year for me and her indoors, wouldn't change.

Karpman