Old School Decoying

Hi guys I am doing a 'retro & old school' pigeon shooting gear page, on my company website, and wondered if any of you 'more mature' shooters had any information or ideas equiptment used back in the day,as it were. I have got some pictures of an old draw string flapper. just wondered what other sor of ingenius ideas were being used back then?

Cheers.

BB. :good:

I have an old pressed cardboard decoy with brass eyes if you want a photo of it

I have an old pressed cardboard decoy with brass eyes if you want a photo of it

that is interesting....how old is it ........go on stick a pic up of it.............Hanser was posting a topic about using drawn pigeons injected with formalderhyde and sprayed with his wifes hair spray........

i remember the first cammo net i used...i made....i was shown by an old boy in the village...........i started off with a large rectangle of tarred net...(on hot days you got black sticky hands) then i collected ladies tights (not stockings as they were silk and always mended) ..cut the tights up into strips and tied them on the net after i had a good covering i mixed up various colours of drab paint and roughly covered it..it worked well until one of the boys who used to work up at the camp..(runway) pinched a bit of real cammo net which i had for years after.........

i remember the first cammo net i used...i made....i was shown by an old boy in the village...........i started off with a large rectangle of tarred net...(on hot days you got black sticky hands) then i collected ladies tights (not stockings as they were silk and always mended) ..cut the tights up into strips and tied them on the net after i had a good covering i mixed up various colours of drab paint and roughly covered it..it worked well until one of the boys who used to work up at the camp..(runway) pinched a bit of real cammo net which i had for years after.........

Can imagine it smelt a bit as well?......great to hear about how it was done back then cheers guys

I was given half a dozed decoys by an old shooting friend that were made back in the early 60s. They had been sitting in his garden for the last 40 years and were in need of a coat of paint. They are made from what seems to be some sort of galvanised sheet metal with carved wooden heads and necks. They measure exactly 12" long and are lighter than my shell decoys.

I sprayed them with Grey Primer and then quickly added some markings with black and white paint. I will not win any art competitions for my handywork but they do the job quite well.

As I have recently stocked up with a load of shell decoys I do not use them any more so I might be willing to donate them to a collector or a new/young shooter that is short on equipment.

Here's a photo of one of them:

post-17172-0-37270100-1376812079_thumb.jpg

Brilliant stuff Frenchie.. iwoulld kee hold of those mate, they maybe worth something in a few yrs. or if you decide to sell them you can put them on my website for free.no problem,

Nick

Nice offer mate but I hadn't really thought about selling them. To be honest until this thread came up I had almost forgotten about them.

Nick - Please don't take this the wrong way but as they were given to me and I am not into making money out of "gifts" if I did part with them it would be free to a newcommer to pigeon shooting or a youngster that was just starting up in the sport.

Nice offer mate but I hadn't really thought about selling them. To be honest until this thread came up I had almost forgotten about them.

Nick - Please don't take this the wrong way but as they were given to me and I am not into making money out of "gifts" if I did part with them it would be free to a newcommer to pigeon shooting or a youngster that was just starting up in the sport.

No problem mate.....brilliant idea!

In the 70's a game keeper asked me to pick up off cuts of grey gutter which had to be 4" wide so as to make decoys like the ones Frenchieboy posted. Never asked if it worked I gave him around 50 off cuts as I was more into shooting rabbits I never tried them.

After reading your post I have to wonder if it might have been a case of there not being quite so much money available for hobbies/sports in those days so people had to use their initiative a little more?

Guys,

How do I upload images? Can't seem to work it out.

open post......click on browse....that will take you to your pics.....choose pic....click open.....then attatch on post.........

if you want to "size" your pic cause its too many pics.....e-mail it to yourself, and click on save attatchments

jobs a gooden

Pressed cardboard with brass rivet eyes.post-44551-0-23047900-1376856637_thumb.jpgpost-44551-0-24869900-1376856659_thumb.jpg

open post......click on browse....that will take you to your pics.....choose pic....click open.....then attatch on post.........

if you want to "size" your pic cause its too many pics.....e-mail it to yourself, and click on save attatchments

jobs a gooden

Many thanks. I hadn't scrolled down far enough!

I have an old wooden pigeon decoy that I bought about 18 years ago from a farm shop that had it as part the display decoration. I suspect that it was made commercially. I'll see about posting up a picture as I would like to know more about it's origins.

It has a peg hole drilled in the underside and two or three staples.

Hi guys I am doing a 'retro & old school' pigeon shooting gear page, on my company website, and wondered if any of you 'more mature' shooters had any information or ideas equiptment used back in the day,as it were. I have got some pictures of an old draw string flapper. just wondered what other sor of ingenius ideas were being used back then?

Cheers.

BB. :good: