Helicopter

hogey

Another helicopter crashes into North Sea with the loss of three lives .How tragic.

This type of helicopter has been grounded for months due to previous crashes and was only given the all clear to fly earlier this month.

I came back into Shetland earlier this month off one of the Rigs in the same sector and lads were not happy about about the Super Pumas being put back into service.

Very sad event, nearly all found and in hospital all but one walking.

As of latest news three still missing, hope they find them soon.

Figgy

Just hope they get their act together and never use the Super Pumas L2 again.

What price safety, makes your blood boil.

Figgy

kirk the one that has just gone down is a different version than the others that had probs, looks like it may be best as it always is to wait for facts to come out.

KW

Think this is so sad poor people wiped out just trying to make a living.

Admit to being surprised at the age group of those named always think of the rigs as a young mans game, seems not.

and sadly a local lad named amongst the victims.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Maybe right kdubya the news was saying the helli model had only recently just been allowed to fly again,funny how its super pumas that have ditched even if different models.

Wouldn't like to be on one myself.

Much better and safer hellicopters out there.

Sympathy with the families who have lost loved ones, sad day.

Figgy

Admit to being surprised at the age group of those named always think of the rigs as a young mans game, seems not.

and sadly a local lad named amongst the victims.

KW

yep very sad local lad duncan munro lives within walking distance from me.

a real tradgedy

It sure is yet another tragedy! About time the Super (and I use the word loosely) Pumas are binned I think!!

Thankfully we use Bell choppers which seem to have a very high safety record. Our provider has >600,000hrs without incident which is reassuring!! No doubt on paper the Super Pumas do as well but you cant argue that there have been way too many choppers down in the North Sea recently :(

I know its a different aircraft from previous models but you do wonder how may shared components are used between the models of Super Puma!!! Surely there must be changes now???

I've had a good read online after Kdubya mentioned it was a different model.

The EC 225 super pumas that had more ditchings and problems are all variants and models developed from the AS332 L2.

I agree best waiting for facts on the cause. But its the same song being sung from what happened regards sudden loss of power.

If choppers are flying over the sea all the time at least use the safest ones.

Figgy

Yes it is tragic and very sad.

I am currently offshore and the topic has been well talked about with the guys.

For those who may not know there are various types of Super Pumas / Tigers . The airframes are much the same but the avionics and engines have variations. The aircraft that has had the major works carried out on it and has been grounded for the past months is an EC225. Two of these had controlled ditching’s within the last year to 18 months.

The L2 type was the type that crashed with the loss of all on board back in 2009 and that was the type that crashed yesterday.

I am sure that the CAA and others will now be looking very hard to find the cause.

Due to the previous accident being so catastrophic I understand the exact cause could never be identified as the wreckage was spread over a large area.

Hopefully there will be some more information recovered from this one.

Offshore we have been told to expect crew change delays for the foreseeable future as until the root cause is identified all the L2 puma fleet is grounded.

The EC225 are due to make a slow return for all the helicopter operators but there use will also depend on the various oil companys who hire them. So in effect the offshore helicopter fleet has been almost halfed.

My thoughts and that of many others go out to the familys.

BBL

I've had a good read online after Kdubya mentioned it was a different model.

The EC 225 super pumas that had more ditchings and problems are all variants and models developed from the AS332 L2.

I agree best waiting for facts on the cause. But its the same song being sung from what happened regards sudden loss of power.

If choppers are flying over the sea all the time at least use the safest ones.

Figgy

:good::good: If you do a bit of research on chopper crashes (can only speak of the Bell as its what I'm familiar with) you find 70-80% of crashes are pilot error :no: you cant blame pilots when gearboxes cock up though :no::no: So Eurocopter need to get their finger out!! That said I think confidence is long gone on Super Puma and this might just be the final straw for them in the North Sea!!

Time to replace the fleet entirely with S-92's.

You got my vote on that.

The S92 is the SAR helli for the coastguard and can fly in some real bad weather. Nice and roomy inside for us larger than a average chaps.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

The same could have happened with any type or make of helicopter.

Yes maybe once or twice, but this many times,

Was talking to a friend of mine today (offshore worker) who said there has been confidence issues with Pumas for a while, so much so that the maker sent engineers around around various locations to reassure those that use them for transport to reiterate how safe they were.....

didnt give much in the way of confidence

:shaun:

Yes maybe once or twice, but this many times,

How many times is it when compared with the tens of thousands of flights. It looks like the last crash was caused by poor maintenance decisions rather than a issue with the helicopter that can happen with any mechanical device.

North Sea helicopter crash report says gearbox failed after maintenance error.

A magnetic particle had been discovered on the chip detector in the gearbox of the Eurocopter Super Puma, a final report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) released on Thursday says. The operator decided to remove and replace the main rotor gearbox but cancelled the work when the particle was deemed insignificant, rather than an indication that the part of the gearbox known as the second stage planet gear was on the way to failing.

"The gearbox was declared serviceable by the operator and its planned replacement cancelled," said the report.

It was this gear that failed as a result of a fatigue crack, causing the failure of the main rotor gearbox.

How many times is it when compared with the tens of thousands of flights. It looks like the last crash was caused by poor maintenance decisions rather than a issue with the helicopter that can happen with any mechanical device.

North Sea helicopter crash report says gearbox failed after maintenance error.

Again I can only compare with the model I am familiar with, but they are running at 1 accidents per 200,000hrs flown, theres been something like 4 crashed Pumas since 2009 in the North Sea alone! Unless my calcs are wrong, for the Puma's record to be similar they would have had to be flying 23 choppers 24hrs a day for those 4 years! My gut feeling is that this aircraft should have a better safety record in the North Sea than it does.

The super puma L2's are having to do a lot more work since the EC 225's where took out of service.

Our designated chopper had a lot of technical faults before finally just making it to the platform with passengers being told to prepare for ditching, It was then shutdown on the heli-deck

for two days while an engineer was sent out and the fault was rectified.

Would definitely prefer to travel in S-92s now after this, but dont know where they are gonna find enough of them from to cover flights in the North Sea

Thoughts and prayers to all those who lost family or friends on this tragic flight

R.I.P.