Anyone use gun socks ??

Archie-fox

I discovered a bit of rust on the rib of one of my shotguns the other day..

ive managed to clean it all off but i was thinking of storeing my shotguns in the gun socks..i have a napier patch in the cabinet and none of my rifles have any rust its just my shotguns that seem to be affected..

i clean them and give them a wipe with a oily rag after each use..but i use them the most at this time of year so was thinking of the added protection of the gun socks..

what do you guys think?

Rich.

I've been looking at this too. There are some on the bay for 7 quid. I may get one, but I have just bought some remington plugs from there. Edgar Bros are selling them cheaply. 5 Quid for the cabinet plug, 1.50 for a 20g plug. May be worth a look for the shotguns to put one of these plugs in the barrels to help

I bought 20 "Woodside" gunsocks via Amazon. They are good quality, nice and thick and silicon impregnated. Really bought them to prevent cabinet dings but they should give some protection against corrosion as well. Good product and they worked out at less than £5 each.

3.49 now on Amazon with 3.99 post. May have to buy some!

Thanks for the Amazon tip. I forget Amazon for gun stuff

If you've cleaned your gun down before storage you should be ok for rust , I do use the socks but mainly to prevent knocks in the cabinet :)

i know mate, must of been a greasy hand or a missed patch...luckly i found it early cleaned it off and re-oiled the area.

Whats the differences between a gun sock and an average sock? I use a rugby sock on mine. Only to stop my guns getting whacked when i take them in and out the cabinet

gun sock has rust preventing chemicals impregnated in it..so in theory it should prevent rust if i should miss a patch again..

much rusting in cabinets is created by putting a cold gun back in the cabinet not a wet gun, allow them to come fully up to room temp before cleaning or they can attract condensation. I use gunsocks but not in the safe, they are used to protect my shotguns from contaminates like saltwater and mud it the gunslip takes a soaking on the marsh. Due to the fact you can store one in a jacket pocket makes them very handy

I don't use gun socks, but do use and clean my guns regularly.

I can see they can stop cabinet dings, but its too late for most of my guns. :)

My main comment is that one of the biggest creators of rust on barrels, is blood.

The smallest spot, especially around the rib, can easily be missed with a cloth and seems to become a rust spot overnight.

I also don't put my guns away "cold", that was tip I was given donkey's years ago.

At this time of the year my rifles get thrown in the box at 1am and get dragged out again at 7pm nearly every day.

They are oiled regularly.

(Wiped over and oiled if they are wet).

Once the fowling gets going my Benelli S/A lives in a permanent coat of mud/oil.

The only one that gets TLC is my Mirouku game gun. (Got to look good when out with the Gentlemen).

My gun resale value probably goes way down but everything works and the guns get a hell of a lot of use.

When all is said and done they are a tool.