Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

Thought i'd go for an evening flight on the tide . The area I chose to try is an hours walk from the car park so I go light game carrier and and a belt with some shells, goose and duck . Got there and the tide was in and still making so sat on the tide edge and waited then heard wink wink looking around spotted a high pink . Started calling and it swung round but he saw me . light was fading now and wigeon past behind me tried a single shot and missed realising bbb at small duck aren't ideal ,changed my cartridges to my 42 grams of 2s and three widgeon flew by and two shots saw one fall into the surf ,back milly, she soon returned with the bird to hand now I could hear geese again ducks all over me choices choices well I went for geese so change back to bbb . Started calling to some pinks and they were calling back , a pair came low over the water and went to my right took the back bird and dropped to my first shot thought that's dead but my follow up shot missed the other .Milly was back in the green so called her up and she came splashing towards me , stopped her and sent her in the area the bird fell she seemed to be struggling to pick it so went back to help was still looking when a skien went straight over where id been . Milly decided she new best and went of in another direction , at this point I was starting to get miffed at my dog when she came back with a strong runner . milly went back to her hide ,she does that, walked back into the surf as far as I thought was enough and could hear pinks again , calling them and kneeling in the surf ,spotted them coming in low over the sea . now im talking to them and myself let em get right in, now there on me picked the lead bird bang , miss they wheel away stay on the same bird bang and I hear the shot strike home and the bird drops out to sea with a wing up, ******, milly , milly come on she thundering out to me . Back, back into the surf she goes an not to long later she swimming back with a nice plump pink stone dead . time to go and I nice sweaty hours walk back to the car with some nice memory to recall on my next blank flight .

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought i'd go for an evening flight on the tide . The area I chose to try is an hours walk from the car park so I go light game carrier and and a belt with some shells, goose and duck . Got there and the tide was in and still making so sat on the tide edge and waited then heard wink wink looking around spotted a high pink . Started calling and it swung round but he saw me . light was fading now and wigeon past behind me tried a single shot and missed realising bbb at small duck aren't ideal ,changed my cartridges to my 42 grams of 2s and three widgeon flew by and two shots saw one fall into the surf ,back milly, she soon returned with the bird to hand now I could hear geese again ducks all over me choices choices well I went for geese so change back to bbb . Started calling to some pinks and they were calling back , a pair came low over the water and went to my right took the back bird and dropped to my first shot thought that's dead but my follow up shot missed the other .Milly was back in the green so called her up and she came splashing towards me , stopped her and sent her in the area the bird fell she seemed to be struggling to pick it so went back to help was still looking when a skien went straight over where id been . Milly decided she new best and went of in another direction , at this point I was starting to get miffed at my dog when she came back with a strong runner . milly went back to her hide ,she does that, walked back into the surf as far as I thought was enough and could hear pinks again , calling them and kneeling in the surf ,spotted them coming in low over the sea . now im talking to them and myself let em get right in, now there on me picked the lead bird bang , miss they wheel away stay on the same bird bang and I hear the shot strike home and the bird drops out to sea with a wing up, ******, milly , milly come on she thundering out to me . Back, back into the surf she goes an not to long later she swimming back with a nice plump pink stone dead . time to go and I nice sweaty hours walk back to the car with some nice memory to recall on my next blank flight .

Nice work, Jules. Good to see you're back in the action. Well worth the sweaty walk back! I should be out in the morning. Hopefully the conditions will be right to bag one or two.

Nice work, Jules. Good to see you're back in the action. Well worth the sweaty walk back! I should be out in the morning. Hopefully the conditions will be right to bag one or two.

I would love to join you but I have to go into work ,Mondays are the worst for me to have off and conditions look to be right

At Last.....

Myself and neillfrbs managed to get out yesterday although it was touch and go as we got stuck behind the wide load going down the motorway....

Expecting the foreshore to be busy by the time we got there, to our surprise we were all alone.

We heard the occasional wigeon calling in the distance but with no wind at all, there was nothing really moving.

At one stage we could hear the geese calling but they were either out over the water or flying down the welsh coast.

Neil had a couple of shots at a pair of wigeon which came over the sea wall, and I missed an opportunity for a nice over the head shot due to me looking the opposite way and not noticing the wigeon until it was over me.

Then I caught sight of a duck flying out to my left towards the north of the marsh and with my only shot of the evening I bagged my first wigeon of the season.

After that it was dead and we were back in the car park by 6pm.

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I had a call from a friend, saying that he had bought a number of wildfowling lots in the Rockland WA auction and offering me the pick of the two gun days that he had acquired. Of the four available, I chose the lot kindly donated by the Fenland WA, with the options of a day on the Wash, a day on the Ouse Washes or a morning flight for Pinks on the Wash and an evening on the Washes for duck.

Option 3 sounded the best as we would get the opportunity to see both areas. Phones calls were traded back and forth and the date of Saturday 7th December decided on. With the date coming round quickly, it was looking likely that I would not be able to make due to a bout of sciatica, that had being going on since the end of October and causing me some difficulties with mobility, to the point that I cancelled with a week to go, only to change my mind after some physio treatment on the Wednesday before the trip that improved matters. This would be only my second trip of the year for various reasons.

The next thing to almost scuttle the plans was the arrival of the storm surge, with high water for the 7th predicted for a little after 9am and likely to cover half the green marsh. The surge was likely to well exceed these predictions, so the chap that was taking us out cancelled the Wash trip on the Friday morning and changed the venue to the Bedford Washes for the whole day, with the plan being to spend the morning on a Wash at the northerly end and then meet with another guy in Welney for lunch and then spend the evening on another Wash.

I was a little disappointed not to be able to go the Wash coast, as I have never seen the Wash, but more than happy to go to the Bedford Levels, as I hadn't been there for 20 years or so and this was where I had cut my wildfowling teeth back in the late 80's, early 90's on Pontoon Wash.

The arrangements were made to meet just outside Downham Market at 5:30am, so up at 3 and on the road for 3:30am. An easy journey up the M11 and across the fens, saw me at the meeting place for 5, allow me time for a coffee and a chocolate muffin before the others arrived.

We then drove down the drove under the baulk of the New Bedford and Delph banks, to a spot where the small boat brought by our guide could be launched to carry the kit down a few hundred yards to the Wash we would be shooting over, whilst my friend, me and our guides two dogs walked along the top of the Delph bank to the point where we would be ferried over. Instinctively the dogs knew where to cross, dived in and swam over the far bank and waited patiently whilst our guide took us over.

In the darkness, we could see the flood water stretching out in front and behind with a tongue of higher ground in between, upon which would be where we would set up the hide around a small blackthorn bush. First things first though, the plastic armada had to be launched, some of which had also not been on this hallowed ground for more than 20years. In total 22 decoys were put out, just into the clear water beyond the tussocks of flooded grass and reeds where they would show up well. Things looked good and sounded better, with a constant background murmur of 'Wheeoo's', 'Quarrrrk, quarrrk, quarrk, quarks' and an occasional 'Angh, angh, angh from some distant Greylags, topped off by the fluted belling of the Bewick swans. Pure magic!

Soon the dawn arrived, but with little sign of ducks in the air until three Wigeon came from in front and plopped in at the far side of the decoys, a little too far for a shot, though they were soon up again for a circuit of the flood water before two returned. Once again they dropped short, but swam in amongst their false friends. We jumped them and my mate shot and dropped a fine Wigeon cock, the hen tearing away unscathed. At the sound of the shot, a small pack of Wigeon came from behind, the gun was in my shoulder, the first shot finding a clean space between them, but the second dropping a hen clean, whilst Guy rattled another cock and laid low a hen. So we were off the mark with duck in the bag, the day a success, if it wasn't already one before by us just being there. Soon another wigeon was added to the bag, 'though not to my gun, but it was followed by a quartering Tufty that was. With it fast approaching mid day it was time to pack up and make the trip back over the Delph and onwards to the cars and Welney to meet our guide for the afternoon.

A quick wiggle (a rare thing on the generally straight fen roads) along the aptly named Silt Road lead us across the fenland farmland to Welney, where our afternoon guide was waiting for us in the car park of the famous (to any collector of fowling writings) Lamb & Flag pub, mentioned in the biography of Ernie James, the last of the professional fen fowlers and the jottings of Humphreys, Downing, et al where we were treated to a fine lunch. I can vouch for the Cambridge ale and Fenman Steak pie. We spent around an hour in the tap room before making a short journey over Cornelious Vermuyden's drains to a pair of small washes, both essentially dry apart from some small flashes along a dyke, created by the grubbing out of some willow scrub. We choose the left hand wash; it felt more ducky and gave a better view up the Washes over the adjacent reserve. What little wind that had been about died off, the cloud drifted away and left a still blue sky, azure to start with but deepening to a rich navy as the clock ticked round to flight time proper. Poor conditions for duck, at least to bring them in range, and those we did see were high, travelling north east to south west. We could hear the odd whistle and chatter but could see nothing in the inky dark, so decided to call it a day.

The guns were slipped and cartridges put away, leaving just the four mallard decoys in the flash 30yards away to round up. Typically as we were doing this (my friend in chestys as it was a little deep for my wellys) a skein of around 30 Canadas went over at no height at all, as silent as the night, not making the presence known other than the swish of their wings and one low grunt. Mmm, now what? A quick pow wow, a decision to stay for another 10 minutes and a rush back to the kit to draw the guns, load up and wait to see if any more came. And they did. Another skein of a similar size out to the right, my side, low, but out a bit, a few steps forward, a swing, bang, and a goose fell, the second shot ineffectual as was my shooting partners. A goose, my first of the year.

My friend was disappointed as he has poor luck with Canadas, something always going arye. Well not this time, a third skein came on the left, his side, ban, bang and another goose fell. A perfect end to a slow afternoon but a great day.

I would like to say a big thanks to Julian and John for their company and a great day.

Nice write up Paul

Was a great day, with great guides (thanks Muncher :good: ) in less than idea conditions. As you know I was particularly pleased with that last min Canada, usually my Nemeis those things.

Have to admit I couldn't face plucking it so cut the breasts out, It had taken quite a few hits so i'm guessing those 3.5 inch Gamebores must pattern pretty tightly in my gun.

Doing mine tonight, I keep looking at it and turning away from the prospect of plucking, so I'll be getting it's breasts out later. I think I may even weigh it as it a lump of a Honker.

I have emailed you the pics I took.

Nice write up Paul

Was a great day, with great guides (thanks Muncher :good: ) in less than idea conditions. As you know I was particularly pleased with that last min Canada, usually my Nemeis those things.

Have to admit I couldn't face plucking it so cut the breasts out, It had taken quite a few hits so i'm guessing those 3.5 inch Gamebores must pattern pretty tightly in my gun.

Likewise, a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Thank you.

Your welcome lads , nice company and a shame it was a bit slow but i will take you out on the foreshore probably next year now when I feel confident I can get you under some pinks ,cant fix the range though . All the best see you next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Out this morning and had a cracking flight with good company and banter! The weather was a mix of all sorts, ranging from a bitter blow with horizontal rain to lovely bright sunshine and everything in between!

There were ducks moving on first light but it was impossible to pick them out quick enough against the dark clouds, my shooting as of late has been pretty straight so when the 1st chance of the morning came at a pair that came from my right the 1st shot dropped a hen Mallard, the 2nd missed over the top of the drake but the 3rd sped true and dropped him into the tide, 2 swift retrieves by the dog and a brace was in the hand.

The next ducks that came through i left as they were heading to the other 2 that were out with me but even though they hit one with 2 shots he flew back out towards the centre of the river, ordinarily i would have not taken the shot as the chance of retrieval was very slim but felt that as it was hit hard twice already and would only suffer if left i took it as a distant quartering away bird and folded it cleanly dead into the water. The dog made a sterling effort with the retrieve but the current was just too strong and carried the bird to far out so i called the dog back. After this there was still birds moving and a few more shots from the others didn't add any more to the bag.

We had a lad out on a taster flight today and i think he thoroughly enjoyed it, hopefully another fowler in the making!

1387699503169_zps36bb7b0d.jpg

1387705169435_zps162d1b0a.jpg

Saturday 21st Dec

Went out with Neil on the foreshore at Frampton for an evening flight.

Weather was not bad and to be honest we were expecting to get a bit of shooting under the moon.

It was a bit windy up there coming in straight at us, which was great but could not hear anything except the wind....

Out to my left I spotted two mallards coming across he splash my 1st shot hit them both as they were side by side, my second shot brought the Drake down with a splash, I could see the other mallard fluttering in the air so I fired my 3rd shot at it but it never came straight down, instead it turned and headed across the marsh towards the canal but at the same time it was coming down....completely lost it as the light was fading although we checked along the canal we could not see it...I bloody hate loosing a bird like that....

So had my first mallard and as it also was ringed I completed the on line form to register it etc.....other then this we did not see or hear another duck or goose all flight....hopefully back out tomorrow morning over low water.

Managed to get out and do some reconnaissance on one of my shooting locations the other day. As I got there at around 1500 hrs I couldn't believe my eyes, I saw over 250 Greylags feeding on the crops and around 35 Canada geese in and around the lake which is very near by.

I worked out a strategy for the morning and set off home to prep the kit. Home loading some 10 b and 12 b followed and packing of the decoys and a check of the weather, especially the wind to work out which direction they would try and land into the decoys and lake.

Woke at 0500 hrs, had a big breakfast and put on the appropriate kit and set off with a flask of coffee. I parked up about 250 m away and walked in quietly just in case any geese had stayed the night on the lake. There were a few, and it sounded like they were Canada geese. I set up a pattern of 12 Greylag geese decoys on high ground on the field I saw them feed on and then placed 12 Canada decoys from my hide towards the lake. Overall the pattern spread about 150 m long in a straight line with my hide in the middle on a hedge line. I used lots of local foliage to increase the camouflage and got inside and settled down.

Around 0730 hrs the first geese started to arrive from the North, Greys in groups of 10s. They all came to my pattern and I shot 6 Greys with the 10 b (first outing after some repairs). Just after I fired the 10 b on one occasion, I heard 2 Canada's coming in low and fast from behind. I picked up the 12 b and tracked them coming in, 2 shots and both birds were down at a range of about 35 m (Shots to remember).

post-39680-0-50339200-1388514168_thumb.jpg

Over all a good day, weather was bad but I like it that way and it seems the birds do too. I recovered 4 Greylags and 2 Canada's but 2 other of the Greys were stuck on the islands on the lake. Due to the water being deep, the only boat there had a hole in it and I have just retired my dog, all meant that I had to loose them. Something that I hate doing to be honest but I had to on this occasion.

Good memories!

Edited by Anth6568

• 3 weeks later...

My season ended yesterday due the Memsahib having to go and get a new hip tomorrow. (Old one destroyed by radiotherapy treatment!).

My season ended with a good week. Took keeper friend after the Norfolk pinks and we got 3 each. Then I visited Rockland Broad on a guided boating trip and got two canadas and a grey.

Sunday - Good old Suffolk - was a blank flight on my private syndicate marsh area that got flooded by the North Sea on the recent tidal surge. Then yesterday I crossed the border to Norfolk again and came home with two pinks.

Interesting yesterday in thick fog and minus one contact lens that fell out as I put the 'coys out! Should have got about half a dozen (bag limit is four) but couldn't see straight never mind shoot straight.

Well that's it till next season, now where is my nurses outfit...

Went out on Jan 11th and had my first ever Shoveler hen bird...

Results came in today from the Mallard I shot back in Dec

seems that it was ringed at 1 year old in 2001 up at slimbridge close to where I shot it

2001 that's a fair old age bird!! I'm not sure but do any of you know what the life expectancy of a wild mallard is?