Young birds

motty

I was shooting on barley stubble on Friday and shot a small bag of 31. Almost 50% of the dead birds were squabs. I normally start to see more youngsters when shooting the rape stubbles in July/August. After a trip to the marsh this morning i went for a drive and saw a hell of a lot of young feeding.

This should mean (for me hopefully) that there could be some big scores shot on the stubbles that remain in the next month or two.

Who else is seeing a massive amount of young pigeons at the moment?

We are seeing a great number this year. With the weather being as it is each breeding pair could have three pairs of offspring and with the acorn crop that is maturing in the trees they will be " Wood Pigeons" . So the rape will be safe till January then the fun will start as they migrate to the big rape and sprout areas.

we have also had a good few young birds over the last couple of months, but have also found they can be found anytime of year round here as we also shot some in february with snow on the ground. i believe the birds are having at least three broods a year in most areas.

thankfully they make good eating and the gamedealer is still happy to take them.

I was shooting on barley stubble on Friday and shot a small bag of 31. Almost 50% of the dead birds were squabs. I normally start to see more youngsters when shooting the rape stubbles in July/August. After a trip to the marsh this morning i went for a drive and saw a hell of a lot of young feeding.

This should mean (for me hopefully) that there could be some big scores shot on the stubbles that remain in the next month or two.

Who else is seeing a massive amount of young pigeons at the moment?

motty ...do you rekon its because the birds are late doing their 3rd brood, or they have slipped an extra one in ?......im still seeing pigeons in my garden "flapping about " over each other...mind you ..they do a lot of that anyway

got no squabs about here...but have seen broken eggshells late into the year..

your thoughts ?

motty ...do you rekon its because the birds are late doing their 3rd brood, or they have slipped an extra one in ?......im still seeing pigeons in my garden "flapping about " over each other...mind you ..they do a lot of that anyway

got no squabs about here...but have seen broken eggshells late into the year..

your thoughts ?

I'm not sure. I haven't had such a good year on the pigeons, but in an average year, i'd often be shooting a young pigeon here or there from May onwards with the bulk of the young birds being seen about now. This year i have hardly seen any around July and August but the numbers i'm seeing right now seem to be way above the norm. That's a good thing in my book - even if the adult birds aren't decoying too well, the young birds committing brings them to the pattern at the same time.