will i have to sell my guns

jasper3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just spoke to the Fire arms department at POWYS (who cover the Carmarthenshire area ,) and they said...The Static will be fine , as long as i can get a good fixing,

naturally they will do an inspection when i get over there , :good:

very nice people on the end of the line, so that sounds promising

I live on a narrowboat so I know it's not a problem . My feo said they had passed a few static caravans . It just need to be fixed to the main structure such as the chassis .

Mike Eveleigh from BASC can give you all the advice you need as he wrote the guidance notes for the home office

i know of someone who has his guns secured in a container in the yard, im not sure hows its secured to the ground, but i do know the container is alarmed and has a code to open the door.. technically its a giant safe in the yard.. with another safe in side.

that might be an option to put a security alarm and lock system to the door. with your safe bolted inside.

probably more safe than a house.

i have my guns in a static caravan and feo was fine and dandy as long as its bolted to the chassis of the caravan and the caravan is bored/wooded around stopping quick accesses from under the caravan i added extra security buy welding the nuts after fixing it then welding a steel plate from chassis runner to runner so you can even see the botls

Home Office Firearms Security Handbook states:

Mobile Homes & Static Caravan Units
2.25 The unit should be site fixed or any wheels and towing assemblies removed or disabled to
prevent its immediate removal.
2.26 Where there is doubt about the fixture, supplementary anchorage with industrial ground
anchors, locking plates or security chains should be used.
2.27 The area between the ground level and underside should either be enclosed with secure
cladding, or the area giving access to that part of the chassis securing the cabinet should be
protected to prevent unauthorised access to that area.
2.28 A cabinet to BS7558 or better, or a commercial safe should be used in dwellings of this
type. Ideally (because of the construction of some mobile homes) cabinets of heavier
construction may be warranted or a dual layer system to protect the area of installation. When
considering installing heavier cabinets or safes the load bearing capacity of these structures must
be considered.
2.29 The cabinet should be located in a position making attack on it difficult.
2.30 The cabinet should be concealed in an area which is not easily/normally accessed (eg inside
fitted lockers).
2.31 The cabinet should have the maximum number of its anchorage points attached to the
chassis of the unit. The blind heads of any fixings should be outside, with the threaded nut within
the cabinet. It may be prudent to have the fixing points welded to the chassis.
2.32 Alloy chassis require special consideration. If the structure is in doubt the provision of
bearing plates not less than 4mm thick and large enough to span several adjoining chassis
members can be fitted. Alternatively, the below method can be utilised.
2.33 Where the chassis is not substantial, a concrete pad containing securing bolts to attach to
the security device should be made underneath the unit.
2.34 Industrial ground anchors can also be adapted for this purpose. These should have a
protective enclosure to frustrate access from outside (see paragraph 2.27).
2.35 An intruder alarm should be considered the primary method of adding security to such
premises.

Gentlemen,

I would be grateful if you'd all keep your opinions to your good selves. The boy currently lives just down the road from me and I'm rather hoping that he has to give them to me before departing for pastures new.

Thank you,

Phil

:whistling::lol::good:

Spoken like a true friend - always thinking of helping out if needs must :yes:

I used to live in the Dyfed Powys police force area a few years ago and had my cabinet in a static with no problems. As you have been told already, bolt it onto the chassis of the caravan and they don't have grounds for refusal. Good luck

Thank you.

Giving is all very well but I've always felt it my duty to receive if in doing so one relieves someone of a problem.

You know the sort of thing - accepting a holiday which is too late to cancel and they can't go because the wife has broken her leg or a meal which was a birthday present but they can't go as the daughter has chicken pox. Not to mention the bloke down the road that has two very nice little rifles that need some permanent safe custody.

Onerous but duty nevertheless so one must show willing. :yes::innocent:

:good:

Gentlemen,

I would be grateful if you'd all keep your opinions to your good selves. The boy currently lives just down the road from me and I'm rather hoping that he has to give them to me before departing for pastures new.

Thank you,

Phil

:whistling::lol::good:

:lol::lol::lol: I am sorted dear boy .

thanks for all the hints and tips lads, I have a superb set up in mind :good:

Thank you.

Giving is all very well but I've always felt it my duty to receive if in doing so one relieves someone of a problem.

You know the sort of thing - accepting a holiday which is too late to cancel and they can't go because the wife has broken her leg or a meal which was a birthday present but they can't go as the daughter has chicken pox. Not to mention the bloke down the road that has two very nice little rifles that need some permanent safe custody.

Onerous but duty nevertheless so one must show willing. :yes::innocent:

Never minded giving or receiving so I know where you're coming (no pun intended) from. ;)

(just got a dirty look from the wife !)

Edited by station

I read this thread with great interest. I've recently moved into a retirement park home and I informed the police I would be willing to bolt a safe (lying on its back with the bolts welded into the chassis) to the floor inside a large fitted wardrobe. But that isn't enough. They want the two locked wooden access doors to the solid brick skirting around the base of the parkhome replaced with steel doors and hasps with padlocks, as well as a complete intruder alarm system. This is on a private estate, like a gated community, in a low-crime area. I suggested that visible steel doors and padlocks and burglar alarm systems may arouse interest where nobody knows I own guns, but the FEO won't budge. Of course, the police could not promise attention if an alarm went off, so what's the use of one. I have only two rimfires and a centrefire. Any suggestions other than the shooting associations?

I am about to embark on a self build and phoned my FEO yesterday, I explained that I was going to lay the cabinet down on the floor and use round headed coach bolts up through the chassis and nuts within the cabinet. He had no problems at all with this his only request was that I should ensure no one can see the cabinet so going in the spare bedroom with window boarded over. Got to give him a ring when it's done and he will come and check.