Why would they do that? What do I know?

JDog

A little scene setting first. My favourite farm to shoot over with the best and most consistent flight line I have known, the only one coming out of an urban setting. There is a very nice escarpment leading up to the higher ground a photograph of which appeared in one of my posts a couple of weeks back. On the higher ground, more than half a mile in the distance is an old wheat stubble. In descending order there is then a barley stubble now drilled with rape, a long field of ex rape now drilled with wheat, another rape stubble already turned over, a small pasture field, then the bottom field which is bean stubble (harvested this week).

I watched the bean stubble yesterday at about four o' clock. There were 50 or so birds on it and lots and lots in the air, in fact a constant line. However the birds on the line over flew the activity in the bean field, up a line of trees and in reverse order over all of the fields previously mentioned and into the old wheat stubble some distance away. I know this because I followed them in the car and when I got to the wheat stubble they were arriving in their droves and there were two hundred already there feeding.

As per the title, why would they over fly a bean stubble with pigeons already on it? The reward for a few minutes in the bean field would be a crop full of protein which they would struggle to pick up in the wheat stubble in an hour.

Maybe when I have had a few more days out pigeon shooting I will work them out. Unlikely I know.

Maybe it could be that beans are harder for them to digest than a smaller seed would be ? Who knows ? These pigeon always keep you guessing ! Lol I've got a bean field that's recently been harvested but they've still left a strip of it standing there's been a few birds on there but not enough to warrant setting up think there's just too much on offer for them at present