Latin

dankidd

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i only know 1 bit Illegitimi non carborundum

I have that tattooed on my arm,but it is not Latin in the true sense,and a Latin scholar would berate you for using it.but it is widely accepted to mean what you think it means,and it is used in a Harvard song.

6vty.jpg
Edited by welsh1

I recall the opening line of Caesar's "Gallic Wars"

"Omnia Gallia divisa est in partes tres"

- which was translated by an anonymous schoolboy as

"All Gaul is quartered into three halves"

and that all of our textbooks by Kennedy were graffiti'd into the

"Shortbread Eating Primer"

Edited by amateur

Last I checked, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Greece were in "Europe" I don't think any of the Germanic languages, or Greek are based on Latin.

German is the CLOSEST language to Latin you can get. It might not be so well known, but it is true. And German of course is the basis for English. Greek, on the other hand is the basis FOR Latin...

German is the CLOSEST language to Latin you can get. It might not be so well known, but it is true. And German of course is the basis for English. Greek, on the other hand is the basis FOR Latin...

While Latin borrowed alot from Greek, and German borrowed alot from Latin (mostly in vocabulary) - I don't think they are the roots of those languages. I would love to see any texts which make the case though. Etymology and the history of language is quite fascinating. Before the advent of DNA analysis - it was an excellent way to track human expansion over time.

Edited by aris

Obviously my Harry Potter/Latin post was over the mark, but can the mod who deleted it at least doff the comedy value?

I thought it was inspired, and made me laugh all day, only to find it rudely deleted. And people say comedy should not be censored. Terrible.

Obviously my Harry Potter/Latin post was over the mark, but can the mod who deleted it at least doff the comedy value?

I thought it was inspired, and made me laugh all day, only to find it rudely deleted. And people say comedy should not be censored. Terrible.

Have to say it made me laugh,and :good: i did wonder how long it would be before it was deleted.

They deleted my comment on it too :no:

I did Latin at school, but apart from parva puella, labor omnia vincit (school motto) and magnus porcus, very little else remains.

Me too it was compulsory to take it as O'level. I can still remember learning the set pieces the night before exam. Managed a B.

While Latin borrowed alot from Greek, and German borrowed alot from Latin (mostly in vocabulary) - I don't think they are the roots of those languages. I would love to see any texts which make the case though. Etymology and the history of language is quite fascinating. Before the advent of DNA analysis - it was an excellent way to track human expansion over time.

Aris, just one of the analysis I could find in a quick search through my bookmarks on linguistics.

Edited by Psyxologos

pm it to me i missed it sounds like it may have been worth a giggle.

Penitus tractat censuram sicut malfunction et itineribus per circuitum.

Edited by overandunder2012