Woodpigeon mating calls

henry d

I was at our works Christmas party on the 22nd and with a small hangover on the morning of the 23rd I was awoken by a woodpigeon cooing.

I don`t believe that the days are long enough yet to get them going and it certainly hasn`t been warm so I wonder why he was calling ?

Anyone else hearing them recently??

I breed pure white racing pigeons for wedding and funeral releases etc.....and the shorter days, and colder weather has not detered them in the slightest from breeding.....presently I have 9 pairs down on eggs and another 3 pairs rearing.....My breeding loft is not artificailly lit or heated either.

I was at our works Christmas party on the 22nd and with a small hangover on the morning of the 23rd I was awoken by a woodpigeon cooing.

I don`t believe that the days are long enough yet to get them going and it certainly hasn`t been warm so I wonder why he was calling ?

yes they were calling here on xmas eve, i was working in the mornning and heard them at 7 o clock.said nothing because i thought you lot would think i was mad.

• 2 weeks later...

heard some cooing, plus noticed rooks fussing arouind their rookery sites and bluebells popping up. Must mean a very cold spell with a foot of snow in mid Feburary. I'm off climbing in the lakes then so thought I would order up some snow!! its happened before. :good:

the woodies around this way have been calling and displaying all through the winter , this morning i saw a couple of coot chicks on a local reservoir, they looked about a week old.

edited to add . yesterday , me and a couple of guys at work were watching magpies nest building , (i really must get a job that involves actually doing some work).

over the christmas period a couple of us were in hereford working the ferrets , one of the does was full of embryo and on the way back we saw a rape field in full bloom .

it's all a bit strange as we should be under 12" of snow at this time of year.

I don't suppose the party hangover had anything to do with it did it HD? :good:

I don't suppose the party hangover had anything to do with it did it HD? :lol:

Your just jealous cause the voices only talk to Henry :good:

• 5 weeks later...

Well its getting silly down my way, after visiting the hospital this morning and returning to the car theres a strip of pine trees beside the carpark i heard a few woodpigeon mating calls, to check it out as i walked up beside trees i couldnt beleive that i see woodpigeon minding the nest about 8 foot up so being even more nosey i had to climb up too look in and yes i saw what appeared to be two eggs?, so strange this time of the year, then returning to call i see the woodpigeon on the end of the roof of the building doing there mating dance and call at other woodpigeon, all i was thinking about was im going to nail you one of these days any one else seen same thing lately

heard some cooing, plus noticed rooks fussing arouind their rookery sites and bluebells popping up. Must mean a very cold spell with a foot of snow in mid Feburary. I'm off climbing in the lakes then so thought I would order up some snow!! its happened before. :good:

And it's happened again! Just slightly earlier than you intended. :good:

I heard a few pigeons cooing on the first of Feb but havn't heard any since. Perhaps the cold has shut them up. :P

FM :P