Chances of getting a shotgun certificate.

Chipsnegg

I have served two custodial sentences.

Both as a young offender (18 months) and (2 yr 7 months) released over 10 years ago.

I was wondering as to my chance of obtaining a SGC (shot gun certificate)

I regularly beat on a number of shoots and would love to participate.

The reason for my rambunctious was I spent most of my life in children's homes hanging round with bad un's

Was easily persuaded :(

Hence my stupid past.

I have contacted the police regarding a pheasant shoot I'm attending to be sure I wasn't a prohibited person. To which she said "no"

I asked if I could obtain a SGC (obviously disclosing my past) and she said yes

My other half is in possession of a SGC and goes clay pigeon shooting most weekends.

Now I know the probable answer but would like to hear from you guys before I give up.

Before I finish id like to add that I'm in full time employment (last 12years) with a full driving licence.

Also would there be any chance of granting a SGC with restrictions

Ie can only go shooting with my partner etc etc.

Your sincerely.

Chris

I would imagine u will get one as long as all other criteria are ok they look at ur past but mainly your present situation. If not you can shoot with your partener/sgc holder, if u go to a clay club there is a clause (not correct word im tired!) Think u have to sign or sgc holder signs but u can shoot.

Atb PT

Go for it, thinking of smokers and drinkers etc: Some reformed people are better at not taking the stuff than those who do. You'd be surprised how the potential to lose a valued ticket keeps you on the straight and narrow.

Sounds like you have turned your life around and the responsibilities and morals of a home owner has bestowed itself upon you. Don't leave anything out in your application because it's your more recent lifestyle and integrity that decide your suitability.

"12.10 persons who are sentenced to a term of imprisonment for three months or more but less than three years must not possess them until five years have passed since the date of release"

"12.14 A series of convictions is likely to be sufficient evidence of unfitness, even if one on its own would not be sufficient to justify refusal or revocation, unless the convictions are well in the past. Whether the applicant is found to have knowingly or recklessly made a false statement in order to obtain a certificate is of particular relevance"

I don't think the above prevent you from gaining a licence but as mentioned, be open and honest with them when you apply

I have served two custodial sentences.

Both as a young offender (18 months) and (2 yr 7 months) released over 10 years ago.

I was wondering as to my chance of obtaining a SGC (shot gun certificate)

I regularly beat on a number of shoots and would love to participate.

The reason for my rambunctious was I spent most of my life in children's homes hanging round with bad un's

Was easily persuaded :(

Hence my stupid past.

I have contacted the police regarding a pheasant shoot I'm attending to be sure I wasn't a prohibited person. To which she said "no"

I asked if I could obtain a SGC (obviously disclosing my past) and she said yes

My other half is in possession of a SGC and goes clay pigeon shooting most weekends.

Now I know the probable answer but would like to hear from you guys before I give up.

Before I finish id like to add that I'm in full time employment (last 12years) with a full driving licence.

Also would there be any chance of granting a SGC with restrictions

Ie can only go shooting with my partner etc etc.

Your sincerely.

Chris

sounds much similar to myself minus the custodial sentences. I did however have an interesting youth. I now hold an sgc and waiting to hear for my fac. I just showed the feo that i had cleaned my act up and been a law abiding person for the last 5 years to which he replied we all do stupid stuff as kids.

I reckon you'd be alright providing there's no history of domestic violence or armed robbery but expect a letter from the plod when you get a grant saying how lucky you are to have your cert and how well they want you to behave.

All the best in your application,

Paul

Hi and welcome,

You may be OK, our local officer said they are most concerned about people with a history of violence, depression or mental instability through losing a job or marital breakdown etc. So as everyone is saying just apply and be straight up with them. Good luck.

It's all hit and miss with no clear guide lines. Only way to know for sure is apply and be honest. A good friend of mine and a very competent, experienced shooter has had a couple of assault charges, no custodial sentence and been clean for over 17 years and still got refused, but others with worse have been granted. It's all stupid. Apply and cross everything

Cheers for the replys guys

Ive just been and had my SGC form filled in by my next door neighbour (university lecturer)

And my employer has typed me up a character reference.

And I'm also gonna add a note stating how sorry I am etc etc and that if granted it would give me even more reason to be super squeaky clean.

Should I try to invite them to a clay pigeon shoot to see my gun safety etc etc???

Again cheers folks. And I'll keep you posted.

I very much doubt I'll get one :(

But as my old lady always said.

"Tha'll never no till tha asks".

before you send it in, do what i did and get a copy of your police records under the 'subject access request'

i had loads of daft driving offences etc when younger 20 years ago ! and used this as form that came back as it had all the dates and info were given on the form and it only cost £10

believe me they knew about everything so was so glad i put the info in correctly first time, as others have said better to be upfront

https://www.northumbria.police.uk/foi/subject_access/

your current force will have a similar link but couldnt see where your based to supply the link

i personally wouldn't put in a very sorry note just give them the facts then allow them at interview to see how much you deserve the licence

remember in include everything however small some good info on the BASC site http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/61EEDFF2-7222-4615-BB4B187BAD081659

Question 14
For purposes of the Firearms Acts there is no such thing as a spent conviction. You
must include all convictions, (Including ALL motoring offences, whether still
recorded on your driving licence or otherwise) whether in Britain or abroad. Cautions
do not need to be mentioned but conditional or absolute discharges do
If this is a renewal, then the form only asks you to declare convictions since your last
application. If none, write “None” or "None since last renewal", as appropriate. If you have
ANYconvictions at ANYtime, including parking or speeding, tick the “Yes” box

Edited by maxus77

Parking? ??? Iv never disclosed Parking fines and nothings ever been said. Speeding etc of course, never even thought about parking fines.

tbh i never disclosed parking ones as they were private not sure if it means police issued ones possibly ?

I think you've got a good change actually.

Also regarding the motoring offenses you should declare them but the exact details are not available from the DVLA as I tried to get mine when I was applying for my SGC. DVLA said they don't keep the records after a few years. Parking tickets aren't a motoring offense either so you don't need to declare those.