Large fields / Flagging off?

Longchalk

Farmer text me yesterday (how very 21st century!) to say he had just drilled two more fields of wheat, and they are pulling in lots of pigeon. I nipped out in my lunch break for 20 mins and had a look today, so admittedly not the longest recce, but there were several groups of 20-30 odd, in different areas of a fairly large field that forms a hill in the middle, and slopes gently down to either side. Hard to spot a definite flight line as they were lifting off and circling round all directions. Mostly spooked by me hiding in the hedge in a shirt and tie no doubt!

Gonna have a go at it this weekend if they are still feeding there, but I can forsee I might just end up pushing them over the hill to the opposite of the field to wherever I set up.... With a big area how effective is it to try and flag it off?... I was thinking of some white bin liners or something, tied onto canes - cheap and cheerful - But am wondering how close together you'd have put them, and if it is really worth the effort?

If the field is that big it is worth putting flags out (supermarket plastic bags, or farmers fertilizer sacks are good) , I will often put out a string banger if its not practical to walk all over the crop.

Remember, that your shooting is going to move birds for quite a distance, that may be enough to keep them on the move, especially if you are shooting with the wind at your back, which will spread the noise across the field..

If the field is that big it is worth putting flags out (supermarket plastic bags, or farmers fertilizer sacks are good) , I will often put out a string banger if its not practical to walk all over the crop.

Remember, that your shooting is going to move birds for quite a distance, that may be enough to keep them on the move, especially if you are shooting with the wind at your back, which will spread the noise across the field..

Make sure if you have the wind on your back that you are not shooting down the flight line as it will dry up quicker than a puddle in the desert...

Try to position your self so you shoot across the wind then the noise will not rattle back to where the birds are waiting to come and feed..

Simple but effective...

TEH

Make sure if you have the wind on your back that you are not shooting down the flight line as it will dry up quicker than a puddle in the desert...

Try to position your self so you shoot across the wind then the noise will not rattle back to where the birds are waiting to come and feed..

Simple but effective...

TEH

Thanks Essex, good advice. It was blowing a gale when I was there today, so you'd have heard me all the way to Basildon! LOL.... Can you clarify though, (my brain must still have got the air in it).... Surely any gun report is going to blow downwind, regardless of what direction you are facing? Are you saying that if your pattern of shot is launched crosswind, the noise of the report is lessened, compared to fire directly downwind?

Thanks Essex, good advice. It was blowing a gale when I was there today, so you'd have heard me all the way to Basildon! LOL.... Can you clarify though, (my brain must still have got the air in it).... Surely any gun report is going to blow downwind, regardless of what direction you are facing? Are you saying that if your pattern of shot is launched crosswind, the noise of the report is lessened, compared to fire directly downwind?

Yes....

TEH

Simple but effective...

TEH

I'm not too sure about that theory, Tim. I have often shot constantly towards the best flightline on good days and the birds have still come. Maybe the pigeons within a couple of hundred yards may be put off, but ones coming from further away won't even hear the shot.

I'm not too sure about that theory, Tim. I have often shot constantly towards the best flightline on good days and the birds have still come. Maybe the pigeons within a couple of hundred yards may be put off, but ones coming from further away won't even hear the shot.

Around here we have loads of holding woods and they come out to feed in the winter with the follow the leader style and I have ###### up a couple of potential good days by shooting down the flight line….

In the winter they are chased around by every farmer with rockets, bangers and gas guns.

How many times do you see a flock that you did not know were there lift up after one shot…

Also for me a quartering or side on wind makes the bird swing across the hide for a nice crossing bird and if I miss it then my gun in following for the second barrel..

Just the terrain my way I guess…always good to have a extra trick or two.

TEH

Don't bother mate bagging off doesn't work .ive seen fools spend an hour going round putting white sheets flags,scarecrows,spinners,etc .only to pass the same field next day with pigeons eating the rape underneath the bags,if you can afford buy string bangers not cheap but sometimes they work.

Tosh. Bagging off can and does work, but not always.

I note your comment about pigeons eating the rape underneath the bags the next day. Whoever put those bags out, and you obviously, have failed to realise that you only bag off other fields or other parts of fields when you are actually decoying. They are never left out, even overnight.

I note your comment about pigeons eating the rape underneath the bags the next day. Whoever put those bags out, and you obviously, have failed to realise that you only bag off other fields or other parts of fields when you are actually decoying. They are never left out, even overnight.

:yes::yes::good::good:

Around here we have loads of holding woods and they come out to feed in the winter with the follow the leader style and I have ###### up a couple of potential good days by shooting down the flight line….

In the winter they are chased around by every farmer with rockets, bangers and gas guns.

How many times do you see a flock that you did not know were there lift up after one shot…

Also for me a quartering or side on wind makes the bird swing across the hide for a nice crossing bird and if I miss it then my gun in following for the second barrel..

Just the terrain my way I guess…always good to have a extra trick or two.

TEH

Also, what would you do if you have 3 lines into the field? Where do you fire then?

. Tosh you talk ******** your obviously a novice I have been at this game for 30 yrs pal

. Tosh you talk ******** your obviously a novice I have been at this game for 30 yrs pal

I am sorry that I missed this post on 18th October when Michael170874 called me a 'novice'.

It is quite possible that he is more experienced than I am and I freely confess to knowing very little about pigeon decoying. However I have been decoying for forty years now and I estimate that I have shot something over 50,000 pigeons. It would be nice to know when my apprenticeship ends and I could be described as 'experienced'.

I am sorry that I missed this post on 18th October when Michael170874 called me a 'novice'.

It is quite possible that he is more experienced than I am and I freely confess to knowing very little about pigeon decoying. However I have been decoying for forty years now and I estimate that I have shot something over 50,000 pigeons. It would be nice to know when my apprenticeship ends and I could be described as 'experienced'.

Come on JDog 40 years and 50000 pigeons, and know very little the apprenticeship never ends. :no: