What accuracy can I expect?

spandit

Set up a 50 yard range today but even from prone, with a rest, I was getting 2 inch groups from my Anschutz 525 using CCI subs - good enough for a rabbit, I suppose, but a bit disappointing. The scope reticle seems huge at that range anyway (6x40 Nikko Stirling Mountmaster - I'll swap for any Swarovski :D) but my "better" scope is pretty much junk

Just wondered what this rifle should be capable of before I start getting spendy

I think you'll need to try different ammo brands until you find one that suits.

I'd say that prone at 50 it'd be normal to be a ragged one hole group, new rifle? Possible just needs to settle down.

I cleaned the barrel of my 22 a few months ago and it was a huge mistake as far as I'm concerned, after I cleaned it I could group beeter at 50 with a shotgun, took hundreds of rounds before it was back on song.

I'd try a few different brands first and foremost but I'm sure the groups will tighten up in time.

Set up a 50 yard range today but even from prone, with a rest, I was getting 2 inch groups from my Anschutz 525 using CCI subs - good enough for a rabbit, I suppose, but a bit disappointing. The scope reticle seems huge at that range anyway (6x40 Nikko Stirling Mountmaster - I'll swap for any Swarovski :D) but my "better" scope is pretty much junk

Just wondered what this rifle should be capable of before I start getting spendy

All depends on the shooter after the kit and ammo, what can you do normally? Don't expect to go out and shoot bug holes from day 1, despite what a lot say on the subject you don't see many putting bullet on bullet in the early days. The mount master is of course the scope so built on price it came with mounts and I should look to borrowing something good soon if you don't improve over time and using various select ammo

I have to agree with what Kent is saying. While I would hope to get tighter groups than about 2" @ 50 yards when shooting in the prone position off a descent bipod there are a combination of things to take into consideration for not being able to do so.

Agreed, you need to find an ammunition that your .22 likes, and this is usually half the battle. However to a fair degree much also depends on the shooter. Not all shooters can shoot single hole groups or clover leaf at 50 yards no matter how well the rifle/scopes/ammunition is balanced.

One thing that Spandit hasn't said (Unless I have missed it) is how long he has had this rifle and if for a while how was it shooting earlier and what might he have changes on it? Also what was his standard of shooting before trying this rifle, i.e. What size of group could he shoot at 50 yards with any other rifle/scopes/ammunition combination?

Only 390 rounds to shoot, then (or 290 until I can buy some more). Will try some different brands, not sure what my RFD stocks

what did you get on your ticket? hold 750 buy 500?

with any rifle, its no good buying what is recommended ammo, or what your mates use, its what the rifle likes

my advice would be to take the rounds left back to the shop, and ask if you can exchange, you want to take a box of fifty of each different brand, then go back to punching paper, at 60yds you should be getting bang on, on top of each other,

cleaning is your choice, again don't just do something because others tell you its needed, both my 22's are spot on at 60yds and never cleaned

Edited by stubby

with any rifle, its no good buying what is recommended ammo, or what your mates use, its what the rifle likes

my advice would be to take the rounds left back to the shop, and ask if you can exchange, you want to take a box of fifty of each different brand, then go back to punching paper, at 60yds you should be getting bang on, on top of each other,

cleaning is your choice, again don't just do something because others tell you its needed, both my 22's are spot on at 60yds and never cleaned

That's some pretty sound advice there. Even if you don't do that go and buy say 3 different boxes of 50 rounds and try them to see what if any difference there is.

I should love to see someone shoot a factory spec semi auto and produce bullet on bullet at 60yds, don't think I ever will though :rolleyes: Its nice but rare when you see it with a good bolt gun

I've got 600 hold, buy 500. I'll continue using my stock of CCI but then I'll go and buy a variety of ammo.

I haven't had the rifle long but I'm not a bad shot (if I say so myself!) just wanted to check I wasn't striving for something that the rifle isn't capable of.

A few times I get no bang when I pull the trigger - taking the live round out, it looks like there is a small dent in the rim - wonder if the firing pin is sticking - don't want to take it apart without knowing what the spring alignment tool looks like. Might try only loading half a mag as I'm wondering whether I'm damaging the bullets whilst placing them in.

Thanks for the advice so far!

I've got 600 hold, buy 500. I'll continue using my stock of CCI but then I'll go and buy a variety of ammo.

I haven't had the rifle long but I'm not a bad shot (if I say so myself!) just wanted to check I wasn't striving for something that the rifle isn't capable of.

A few times I get no bang when I pull the trigger - taking the live round out, it looks like there is a small dent in the rim - wonder if the firing pin is sticking - don't want to take it apart without knowing what the spring alignment tool looks like. Might try only loading half a mag as I'm wondering whether I'm damaging the bullets whilst placing them in.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Weak strikes will be detrimental to accuracy no question. Its a weak spring, damaged pin or duff shells that's doing this, check the vase of the pin first as its easy done then different ammo, if you bought it from a shop very recent they need to sort it second hand or otherwise

Weak strikes will be detrimental to accuracy no question. Its a weak spring, damaged pin or duff shells that's doing this, check the vase of the pin first as its easy done then different ammo, if you bought it from a shop very recent they need to sort it second hand or otherwise

I had same problem before - turned out to be weak spring from where the last owner had tried to make the trigger pull too light.

A 2" group at 50 yards is not good. On that basis you should not be shooting rabbits but sorting out your accuracy. A good rule of thumb is that the maximum distance you should shoot at a rabbit is the distance you can get EVERY bullet in a 1" circle, in your case probably 25 yards!!

My guess is that you are using unsuitable ammunition and I don't understand why you are continuing to waste your time with it and not follow the very good advice given to you to return that ammunition and do what you should have done in the first place and obtain 50 or 100 rounds each of a number of different types and find which suits your gun.

I will get shot down in flames for saying it but it seems like another case of someone with too little knowledge being let loose with a firearm when they don't even know the basics, sorry if that sounds harsh, and I do thank you for asking for advice in this forum so please don't take my rather grumpy response too personally. You will learn like most of us, the slow hard way by making mistakes.

Don't even consider shooting living things until you have sorted out your gun and ammunition. Stick to paper. Enjoy your shooting, there is a lot to learn. How to properly clean your rifle is something you need to understand from the start.

Update.... and now I see you have a .223 to go with the .22 ......... oh well.

Edited by dadioles

A 2" group at 50 yards is not good. On that basis you should not be shooting rabbits but sorting out your accuracy. A good rule of thumb is that the maximum distance you should shoot at a rabbit is the distance you can get EVERY bullet in a 1" circle, in your case probably 25 yards!!

My guess is that you are using unsuitable ammunition and I don't understand why you are continuing to waste your time with it and not follow the very good advice given to you to return that ammunition and do what you should have done in the first place and obtain 50 or 100 rounds each of a number of different types and find which suits your gun.

I will get shot down in flames for saying it but it seems like another case of someone with too little knowledge being let loose with a firearm when they don't even know the basics, sorry if that sounds harsh, and I do thank you for asking for advice in this forum so please don't take my rather grumpy response too personally. You will learn like most of us, the slow hard way by making mistakes.

Don't even consider shooting living things until you have sorted out your gun and ammunition. Stick to paper. Enjoy your shooting, there is a lot to learn. How to properly clean your rifle is something you need to understand from the start.

If I'd thought that the group was good, I wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. As it was, I posted this question yesterday, having shot my rifle for the second time ever. I asked the question in order to improve my accuracy and have already gone and purchased a variety of ammunition to try (Winchester and Eley). I'm not going to take the original CCI ammo back as I want to make sure it's not just my lack of ability causing the poor accuracy. I bought the rounds on the advice of my local RFD, as a newcomer to the sport, perhaps I trusted him a little too much.

There is a good reason I was shooting paper targets, in order to feel that I could take live quarry confidently. At the moment, I'm not confident that my setup is accurate enough and won't start on the bunnies until I am.

I acknowledge you accepting your reply was grumpy - there's an edit button for a reason - you should have seen my initial response!

If I'd thought that the group was good, I wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. As it was, I posted this question yesterday, having shot my rifle for the second time ever. I asked the question in order to improve my accuracy and have already gone and purchased a variety of ammunition to try (Winchester and Eley). I'm not going to take the original CCI ammo back as I want to make sure it's not just my lack of ability causing the poor accuracy. I bought the rounds on the advice of my local RFD, as a newcomer to the sport, perhaps I trusted him a little too much.

There is a good reason I was shooting paper targets, in order to feel that I could take live quarry confidently. At the moment, I'm not confident that my setup is accurate enough and won't start on the bunnies until I am.

I acknowledge you accepting your reply was grumpy - there's an edit button for a reason - you should have seen my initial response!

If I was you I would try those eley and winchester, if you get a better grouping with either, take the cci back and ask if you could trade them for which ever your rifle prefers, no point in just using them, trade them for something that your rifle likes,