Which gun oil?

aris

Which gun oil do you all use? Looking at what is on sale in the little 125ml tins, they all look identical, except for the label - which leads me to think it's all the same stuff with a different badge. I've heard of people using Mobil 1 motor oil for moving parts, or just plain old 3-in-one oil, and a grease for pivoting or screwed in parts.

What do you use?

I googled for 'gun oil' but many of the links were for some sort of 'personal lubricant' :lol: :lol:

I use Parker Hale 'Express' for oil - but 3 in 1 is also fine in my view. As you say, may be the same stuff - and I have also used Texaco 'household oil' in a similar can. I use a general purpose light grease (labels fallen off, but it was the smallest pot I could get in Halfords, possibly 'Comma' brand or possibly Castrol I think!) - the demands on grease in guns is minimal compared to high speed machinery, so any light general purpose grease should be adequate in my view. Only tiny smears of grease are used and a pot will last many years.

The important thing with all oils and greases is to clean off the old, taking the dirt and grit away with it, and apply new very sparingly so it doesn't either attract dirt and grit, or migrate to places it shouldn't (the woodwork particularly).

For semi auto & pump guns with high speed sliding/moving parts I use shooters choice FP10, google it & read the blurb, it has very good lubricating properties & with a huge temperature range.

On my Benelli M2 I also use the smallest dab of grease on the cam pin because it is a high wear point, I use a grey moly type from a company called Neco in the USA.

Both of these recomendations came from top US 3-gun shooter & team Benelli member Kurt Miller, after using it for several years I have no reason to doubt his recomendation.

N

I don't think it matters much, you are lubricating metal parts which bear against each other, it's not rocket science and a gun is not complicated technology. There is some very clever marketing of 'high spec' lubricants with prices to match. I have fallen for it in the past but I reckon 3 in 1 oil or similar for general oiling and standard automotive grease for hinge pins etc is the way to go. I think it is worth spending a bit more for solvents and bore cleaners, but not for standard gun oil. Just my two penneth

I'm starting to think 3-in-one is OK. The only thing I think might be a problem is if it goes sticky/tacky over time, or attracts more grime than something else. At the same time though - I clean the gun after every use - so how big of a problem can it be?

Perhaps if a gun is going for long-term storage, it may need some other kind of oil, but every-day? Not sure.

Saying that, the bottle of three-in-one i have has a price tag of 2.99 for 100ml. Gun oil is 5 or 6 pounds for the same amount. Not a huge amount of difference in it.