Landy defender 90 as a daily

Matt_

Pretty much as title, does anyone use their 90 for a daily... I'm looking at having one and basically seeing if it's truly practical as a daily my commute to work is a 20 mile round trip... Also is it worth hanging out for a 300tdi over a 200tdi.... And bar the usual stuff any major things I should be looking out for when I view?

Ta

Matt

I do a 20 mile round trip every day but if I do ever have a problem it's always got me home.

I do have a disco as well so I can always get to work but that's only been a couple of times in 6 years. I bet that's no different to any other car.

Just remember to put your hat & gloves on :good:

Had a 200 engine in before but it started to burn oil. Now got a 300 but personally I'd say the 200 is a little better but nothing in it. Was 30mpg now 27.

Heads on the 300 go if you don't keep an eye on the coolant & 200 are almost bulletproof

I'd say not for everybody but each to their own, it would be a boring world if we all drove jap c**p. :whistling:

Edited by landy george

I would say go for a 200 tdi if any, they are a love it or hate it thing but they are basic and easy to repair if they go wrong, but if you want comfort then go for something jap.

I would definately steer away from anything td5, the best defender ive ever driven had an isuzu 2.8 conversion, might be worth seeing if you can find one.

I use a 300 tdi for daily 44 mile and plenty of pleasure too, so your 20 shouldnt be an issue. I have driven land rovers for the last 30+ years and will continue to do so - my choice B) .

Fuel return brings 25/30 mpg approx.

, If you want cheap motoring and good fuel return buy a newer skoda*/ford* car/estate* for same money/or less, (* other makes are available ;) )

If you want an all rounder rustic utilitarian vehicle for all year/winter and dont mind doing your own servicing and fettling - hang out for a low miler 300 , in Good condition that hasnt been messed with. and has a good high ampage battery for cold starting.

There are plenty out there to choose from.

Don`t rush into buying the 1st cheapy you see that takes your fancy,(if its that cheap-there`s usually something amiss with it),

make sure you check the chassis/bulkhead/outriggers/rear crossmember and roadtest for clunky drive train /gearbox/clutch.etc.

Any make of vehicle you purchase has the potential to breakdown at any point,

As others may say, Land Rovers are like marmite - you either luv 'em or hate 'em ;):yahoo: enjoy wearing your new hat and gloves ;)

Had a Disco' 1 for many years as my daily use vehicle (self employed) and to run kids to and fro ; holidays etc and it rarely let me down.When it went west at the beginning of this year it wasn't the 300tdi that let it down, but a rotten chassis. Now run a 200tdi in a highly modified 88 and its used on a daily basis (still self employed) as my everyday vehicle. Had the chance of a L200 for the same price but then I thought 'is it going to look as good as the Landrover does at a similar age'? The answer was obvious. As others have said,it's a marmite thing.Just ensure the bulkhead and chassis are solid and you wont go far wrong.

I don't mind hats and gloves driving that way she will drive at the weekend ;) it's quite interesting that the majority day 200tdi guess 'they don't make em like they used to' the other question was any particular gear boxes to avoid? Or is it like any other car hit and miss. Shall definitively take a tappy stick round with me to any potentials and have a good poke around underneath

Ta again

Matt

Dont waste your money, rather than spending the 3-4k on a defender with a tdi engine go for a solid disco for around £1500 and spend the rest on a new gun. Defenders are all very well and good if you have a reason to use them such as working on a farm or in a quarry but for most people a disco will do the same job in more comfort and for less money.

I havent done thousands of miles in a defender but enough to make my own judgement. My mate uses them for work everyday both 90s and 110s and although admits they are utilitarian and put up with the daily abuse his lads throw at them he hates them with a passion and will not buy one with his own money.

I would say go for a 200 tdi if any, they are a love it or hate it thing but they are basic and easy to repair if they go wrong, but if you want comfort then go for something jap.

I would definately steer away from anything td5, the best defender ive ever driven had an isuzu 2.8 conversion, might be worth seeing if you can find one.

i stuck a isuzu 2.8td trooper engine in a 110,it was a spot on engine,rather nippy too.

Would have to disagree with the post about avoiding a TD5, I've run a 90, a 200tdi and now a TD5, the power of the latter is far better than any of the others and with good tyres it is fine on my 50 mile round trip. Runs far smoother and I have had no problems at all in the year I have had this one. Have to agree about the cold, either wrap up or get a plug in heater!

Ran a series for nearly 11 years and a 300 tdi for the last nearly 5 years, if your water system is clean and maintained you wont need the hat and gloves, I have to turn mine off after a few mile, ( I do have a curtain behind the bulkhead though) short journeys between 24-26mpg better on a run if you keep your foot off, I love mine as someone says a Disco is a good cheaper option if you can find a good one but for me it is to big a vehicle on my drive,

good luck with whatever you buy

If you're into defenders -go for it! I use a 200tdi def90 every day -so far it has been great, bit I rebuilt it about three years ago. Don't forget they are about 20 year old cars, and most have seen their share of mud. If you have one, make sure to maintain it properly!

The GF drives a 110 td5, and also uses it to commute to work. About a 50mile roundtrip every day. Likes it to -it all depends if you like then or not- you like them, buy one and be happy... Don't like them, never buy one and start bitching on everyone who ownes one...

I have a 110 as my daily, I don't really do commute as I work from home, but I do use it for everything school run, rugby team, shooting, towing etc. I could have a jap but don't want one. I am some time soon going to get rip of the 110 and get a 90, only reason I don't need all the seats anymore, and if I can fit 10 players in my landy means I do more driving than most.

Edited by rimfire4969

Ran a series for nearly 11 years and a 300 tdi for the last nearly 5 years, if your water system is clean and maintained you wont need the hat and gloves, I have to turn mine off after a few mile, ( I do have a curtain behind the bulkhead though) short journeys between 24-26mpg better on a run if you keep your foot off, I love mine as someone says a Disco is a good cheaper option if you can find a good one but for me it is to big a vehicle on my drive,

good luck with whatever you buy

I'll second that. My heating was blowing cold until I topped and changed the water. Now within 10 minutes it's toasty :-)

300 everytime!

Td5...there's a reason the army didn't want it...!

I drive a Defender 130, loads of room, loads of fun!300 everytime!

Td5...there's a reason the army didn't want it...!

I drive a Defender 130, loads of room, loads of fun!

Bit of a stammer there lol. The reason the army didn't want the TD5 was simply because they didn't need to change. They had VMs trained on the existing engines and parts for the existing engines. 300 Tdi is a superb engine and very simple. Simple + squaddies is a successful combination! It's just a pity they're so old.

Have to admit I like my old 200tdi a lot, but you cannot compare it to a td5. Takes a lot of time to get used to the engine when you charge into td5 after driving a tdi -at least for me every time I take my GF's td5. Very different throttle-respons, and the anti-stall system is also something to get used to. But both very Nice engines.

The army used n/a 2.5 over 2/300 tdis too, so they had one thing to mend!

I think the td5 has proved to be a generally reliable lump, plenty of disco 2s with big mileage on them.

I use my td5 90 for shooting and use it all the time, I would say go for it unless your commute it's motorway in which case I wouldn't want to.

60-65 and mines noisy