tut tut BASC

colin lad

page 69 of your basc magazine advertising the carcase butchery course great idea but the picture of 2 blokes at the block cutting some venison cutting towards their hands and no chain mail gloves is just a accident waiting to happen hope that pic was just for the mag and they do give boning gloves to all that take part

colin

Colin is a demon with a knife. He talks good sense. :yes::good:

Years ago we did not wear ear defenders, BASC and CPSA pictures will always now show ear defenders in place on their shoots.

You have to go with the flow, in this age and not be a dinosaur :yes:

Do you wear a seat belt when you are driving? :hmm:

the course is aimed at beginners with little experience we used boning gloves 35 years ago when i was learning

can't afford not to with all these personal injury claims now our apprentice is not allowed near any meat till he has glove on

colin

Do you work in Health & Safety?

hazard of the job, started straight from school at 15, you cut yourself, put your hand in the brine tub, wrap it up get back to work, you soon learn to cut away from yourself, had these young 'hard' lads come working for me scream like girls when they cut themselves, most time they or the customers never knew on the rare occasions when I did

I don't use one myself at work at the farm shop its more of a layer back attitude and never in a rush but at my last job when boning sheep at the rate of 1 per minute and chickens at 10 per minute it's different i did then,

my point was in this day and age of where there's a blame there's a claim an organisation like basc should know better,

colin

My local butcher is celebrating 50yrs in business (yes the man himself in the same shop) I aint ever seen him one of his staff wearing a glove, mind you there good but they don't rush.

you probably won't see them wearing one for 95% of their work as the most risky time butchering is breaking down the carcasses which is normally done out back before shop opens not during opening hours when the butcher will out front of house serving

Colin

I am an amateur, I do butchery, I use very sharp knives......... and guess what? ..........................I have cut myself.... thankfully not badly.

If I had one of these nice safety gloves, I'd wear one for the bigger jobs. If I was doing a butchery course, I'd expect one to be "enforced" just as Colin says. I bet BASC do use them on the courses :yes:

hazard of the job, started straight from school at 15, you cut yourself, put your hand in the brine tub, wrap it up get back to work, you soon learn to cut away from yourself, had these young 'hard' lads come working for me scream like girls when they cut themselves, most time they or the customers never knew on the rare occasions when I did

Hepatitis, HIV, other blood Bourne diseases are a risk, not only the small cuts, deep cuts.

The point is "teach them to cut away" rather than let them learn by cutting themselves...

I don't use one myself at work at the farm shop its more of a layer back attitude and never in a rush but at my last job when boning sheep at the rate of 1 per minute and chickens at 10 per minute it's different i did then,

my point was in this day and age of where there's a blame there's a claim an organisation like basc should know better,

colin

I Know what you mean Colin

As a novice I was made to speed bone a Rabbit (without a glove :yes: ) in 5 Mins and keeping all the meat in one piece.

There was more blood from my slashed fingers than the Rabbit.

The Butcher that got me to do it then told me it took him 10 Mins to do the same thing :lol:

He is a great butcher though and i'd like to thank him for his brilliant toutorials at the butchery nights but i won't mention any names :whistling:

PELTY :good:

Edited by the pelt man

colin

It's a picture. Most will look for a nanosecond and move on. The sort of person who studies it and copies should not be allowed near knives.

Seriously? Get over yourself. How on earth can you blame BASC for an injury based on a static image? Which way is the knife moving, if at all? I'd be really keen for the government to include an analysis of IQ for any claim for compensation. The question "Just how thick do you have to be to.................." should be part of the opening statement.

It's a picture. Most will look for a nanosecond and move on. The sort of person who studies it and copies should not be allowed near knives.

Seriously? Get over yourself. How on earth can you blame BASC for an injury based on a static image? Which way is the knife moving, if at all? I'd be really keen for the government to include an analysis of IQ for any claim for compensation. The question "Just how thick do you have to be to.................." should be part of the opening statement.

You would make a comment if in a advert a clay shooter was holding a shotgun the wrong way round! He is a professional making a observation on his profession. Any statement made towards safety can not be a bad one in my mind.

Mark

If you don't understand what Colin is pointing out i can only say

: "you are the type of person that need protecting from images of BAD PRACTICE". :yes:

Keep all your fingers

colin

in the farm shop im a butcher at,im classed as the fastest butcher in there,but I couldn't bone a sheep in 1 minute or 10 chickens in 1 minute,hats off to you on that one colin,youre a machine,lol.............DAZ

oh,i don't wear chainmail either although its available...

I Know what you mean Colin

As a novice a was made to speed bone a Rabbit (without a glove :yes: ) in 5 Mins and keeping all the meat in one piece.

There was more blood from my slashed fingers than the Rabbit.

The Butcher that got me to do it then told me it took him 10 Mins to do the same thing :lol:

He is a great butcher though and i'd like to thank him for his brilliant toutorials at the butchery nights but i won't mention any names :whistling:

hi mate hope you well

can't believe someone would ask you to try that hehe

in fairness i did bring gloves and gave everyone the chance to use one just they chose not to

Colin

If anyone says they bone out a lamb ( sheep) in that time is farting from the wrong orifice. I would love to have there bone bag.

more than willing to put my money where my mouth is as they say

so long as it's enough lol

Colin

actually thinking about it you could technically be right i probably could not bone one sheep in 1 minute,

like anything when you do a lot of one thing you get quicker as you get into it when at the factory we all took turns timing ourselves

with a dolav of 30 sheep

i done my dolav in 29 and half minutes,

the next quickest to me was about 40 minutes not sure exactly,

if a single sheep was put in front of me from cold no i probably could not so i could well be farting from the wrong orifice

but i could do 30m in 30 minutes so i stand by what i said lol

colin

Edited by colin lad