Lee Rigby Murder trial

SHOOTEMUP

I Have seen on a couple of different forums that the trial of the murderers of soldier Lee Rigby has started but the media have been banned from covering the case to avoid tension!!

Can anyone confirm that this is true because if it is this type of control of the media is very concerning to us all, it make one wonder what else has been the subject of such an order just to placate one part of the community :ninja:

As I say I don't know if this is a fact but hope someone on here knows a little more than me.

Cheers

Edited by SHOOTEMUP

I thought it started some while ago when one of the defendants refused to be known by his given name and wanted to use a religious pseudonym.

That may have just been the initial part of the process, but it has gone very quiet!

A search of Google produced this;

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lee-rigby-murder-trial-michael-2805725

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

I Have seen on a couple of different forums that the trial of the murderers of soldier Lee Rigby has started but the media have been banned from covering the case to avoid tension!!

Can anyone confirm that this is true because if it is this type of control of the media is very concerning to us all, it make one wonder what else has been the subject of such an order just to placate one part of the community :ninja:

As I say I don't know if this is a fact but hope someone on here knows a little more than me.

Cheers

That will be about right hush hush don't say anything make the public think everything ok

Its all a bit one sided in the Uk some are allowed to say what they want

Dont be too quick to jump to conclusions, the jury has been sworn in but I don't think the trial propper has started yet. There is no media ban as far as I know but there maybe an injunction to prevent reporting what happens during the trial until after the verdict. There is an argument to say that the less attention we give to the defendadnts the better, and the less publicity the BNP can squeeze out of it too.

I'm sure you'll see plenty about it soon enough, even if that means, after the trial.

I'm happy that the courts may actually get the chance to do the job of throwing the book at these clowns once and properly.

If that means that the tabloids dont get to make a fat wedge of cash from the lad's death, that's fine with me. Ditto that every detail of the proceedings doesnt become tainted by having every interest group leaping aboard it for the sake of having a rant of whatever flavour.

This is too big and too serious for our addiction to instant gratification to turn it into a circus performance.

This is too big and too serious for our addiction to instant gratification to turn it into a circus performance.

I would like to think that should there be a media embargo on that would be the reason, sadly though I believe it would be for a different reason altogether.

anyway you will know after tomorrow as that's when it starts.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Active proceedings shouldn't be discussed.

There is plenty of time after a verdict for everyone to throw in their tuppence.

I've made this point before on here and been shot down in flames by people who appear to believe the have a 'right' to prejudice the workings of justice.

so whats the difference with Rebecca Brooks or a say Stuart Hall etc they were all on full display before during and in those cases that have finished after the trial then its called "the public interest" would a news embargo of a couple of murderous filth be any less in the public interest then? particularly as they committed the crime willfully under the gaze of camera's to gain publicity?

KW

Edited by kdubya

Active proceedings shouldn't be discussed.

There is plenty of time after a verdict for everyone to throw in their tuppence.

I've made this point before on here and been shot down in flames by people who appear to believe the have a 'right' to prejudice the workings of justice.

Totally agree with this. There is way too much media bleating over high profile trials - none of which serves any purpose other than to sell tomorrows chip wrappers.

On the subject at hand; there may be an injunction in place. I would think it extremely unlikely that one would be granted purely to stop sensational reporting thought. Any injunction would be put in place in the interests of justice and not to control the rags or the tiny number of BNP lunatics out there. It isn't that uncommon. Injunctions are often put in place so as not to prejudice other trials, for instance.

J.

so whats the difference with Rebecca Brooks or a say Stuart Hall etc they were all on ull display before during and in those cases that have finished after the trial then its called "the public interest" would a news embargo of a couple of murderous filth be any less in the public interest then? particularly as they committed the crime willfully under the gaze of camera's to gain publicity?

KW

If you look at the reporting there hasn't been any discussion, merely factual statement of proceedings.

If there is a complete embargo in this case it will partly be to minimise disruption around the Old Bailey. It was a nightmare down there two days ago when the first hearing happened. Police, press, you name it.

so whats the difference with Rebecca Brooks or a say Stuart Hall etc they were all on ull display before during and in those cases that have finished after the trial then its called "the public interest" would a news embargo of a couple of murderous filth be any less in the public interest then? particularly as they committed the crime willfully under the gaze of camera's to gain publicity?

KW

If you look at the reporting there hasn't been any discussion, merely factual statement of proceedings.

If there is a complete embargo in this case it will partly be to minimise disruption around the Old Bailey. It was a nightmare down there two days ago when the first hearing happened. Police, press, you name it.

Dont be too quick to jump to conclusions, the jury has been sworn in but I don't think the trial propper has started yet. There is no media ban as far as I know but there maybe an injunction to prevent reporting what happens during the trial until after the verdict. There is an argument to say that the less attention we give to the defendadnts the better, and the less publicity the BNP can squeeze out of it too.

I'm sure you'll see plenty about it soon enough, even if that means, after the trial.

It's a tenet of English common law that justice must be seen to be done--that's why the media have automatic right to attend and report contemporaneously most court proceedings. It is extremely rare for a criminal case to be closed to the media and there hasn't been a case held completely 'in camera' in donkey's years, when it was done for reasons of national security .I'd suggest a lot of the delay concerns applications to the judge from the solicitors and barristers and possibly something to do with these two ****heads wanting to adopt what appear to be Arabic identities. Long complicated cases involving fraud, for example, can be delayed for weeks before actual evidence is given and the jury are brought in to listen to the witnesses. Secret trials with a public sentencing at their conclusions are a feature only of dictatorships.