What A Plonker

djgeoff

yes seems a light sentence to me also as sounds like it was a unlicensed gun as it was hid in a out building and had cartridges for it to who is enough to post there online with a illegal gun is beyond me and brag about it as everyone knows the police looks on Facebook for instance if i put on my face boom a was dealing vast amount of class a drugs or stealing cars to sell for parts i bet that the police would come and visit or raid my home

I don't understand how it can not be 5 years? unlawful possession of a firearm? the carts in fact where no offence unless slugs or less than 5 shot balls of whatever size.

The five year minimum is only in respect of stuff to which section 5 applies. A sawn-off shotgun is section 1 unless it's a pump or semi-auto.

Interestingly, if he'd sawn of the barrels him self then that is a separate offence again.

J.

The five year minimum is only in respect of stuff to which section 5 applies. A sawn-off shotgun is section 1 unless it's a pump or semi-auto.

Interestingly, if he'd sawn of the barrels him self then that is a separate offence again.

J.

Depends how short?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/5

Weapons subject to general prohibition.

(1)A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council [F1or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers—

any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length or is less than 60 centimetres in length overall, other than an air weapon, F5. . . a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus;]
Edited by HDAV

Very true. Would be rather unusual that a shotgun would be shortened to that extent though I'd have thought.

J.

I thought the whole point of a sawn off was to make in concealable and the whole point of the law to make it hard to do so ergo a 60cm length with 30cm barrel is hard to conceal where as a 30cm barrel and 10cm stock is more easily concealable....

Its not like it was sawn off to improve his skeet scores now was it................ under 24" barrel makes it sect 1 under 12" makes it 5 or a pistol! Hence why LBR are not a pistol as they are longer than 30cm barrel and 30cm stock....

Edited by HDAV

As said above - the **** was in possession of a sawn-off shotgun and his intention was obviously not to use it for driven game, his only reasons for being in possession of it must have been planning serious criminal acts.

.... And he gets a lenient, time served sentence?

The SAS trooper Danny Nightingale case springs to mind here - The law is truly an ***.

From what i make of it.... I think a boy from normal middle class family is going through his wannabe "gangster" phase and ended up in trouble. Having known a friend who was an idiot from a normal family and also had the phase, it could go one of two ways. It could be a wake up call to stop acting like a **** or give him street cred for him to brag to his "gangster" mates....

People can say what they want about the sentencing but only the judge knew all the facts

I thought the whole point of a sawn off was to make in concealable and the whole point of the law to make it hard to do so ergo a 60cm length with 30cm barrel is hard to conceal where as a 30cm barrel and 10cm stock is more easily concealable....

Its not like it was sawn off to improve his skeet scores now was it................ under 24" barrel makes it sect 1 under 12" makes it 5 or a pistol! Hence why LBR are not a pistol as they are longer than 30cm barrel and 30cm stock....

You're right, I was thinking too specifically in terms of barrel length alone.

J.

Wannabe Gangster is all too right, round by me are groups of kids who have all grown up in semi rural england yet all have lazy american accents and lots of 'ya get me bruv?' It's all a bit embarrassing as in a few years when they have to get jobs etc all that nonsense gets blown away and they have to speak normally - shame this kid is now hamstrung with a firearms conviction, good luck getting a job or even visiting certain countries now you tool

It does say in the report that he has been offered a job in a pharmacy.

Wannabe Gangster is all too right, round by me are groups of kids who have all grown up in semi rural england yet all have lazy american accents and lots of 'ya get me bruv?' It's all a bit embarrassing as in a few years when they have to get jobs etc all that nonsense gets blown away and they have to speak normally - shame this kid is now hamstrung with a firearms conviction, good luck getting a job or even visiting certain countries now you tool

It does say in the report that he has been offered a job in a pharmacy.

I read that as at the time of the offence he had been offered the job, I might have misinterpreted it but that seems to be what it said? I can't imagine the licensees wanting someone with a firearm conviction having access to top grade pharma...

Sorry, you are correct, he 'HAD' not has.

I refer back to my post #17 in that case.

I read that as at the time of the offence he had been offered the job, I might have misinterpreted it but that seems to be what it said? I can't imagine the licensees wanting someone with a firearm conviction having access to top grade pharma...

How so?

This halfwit has nothing to do with law abiding sporting shooters.

It disappoints me that the situation in the UK has honest people worried that a criminal engaging in criminal behaviour will somehow reflect badly on law abiding people.

What next, if I bludgeon my neighbour with a shovel will it give Monty Don a bad name :lol: