410 cartridges

foxnet22

Lyvale 2.5" 14g No9 nice clay cartridge and suit my remmy 1100 410 semi

Paterned my old o/u 410 with 2.5" and 3", No 7.5 & No 9 and the 3" was very poor and others have said the same with other makes of 410

Maybe 18-19 gram better suited to 28 gauge

If you go for 3" cartridges very hard plated shot (copper or nickel) is supposed to be the way to improve your patterns. I use hard shot for all my .410 reloading (unplated in size 9 and plated in 7 and 7 1/2. In general I have found patterns to be OK with 3 inch homeloads as long as you don't push the speed too far and keep the payload sensible. My favourite is 19.5g. I tried 21g (a bit of a tight fit in the case) but this spread shot all over the county.

If you don't want to go down the reloading route the best thing to do is buy a roll of cheap wallpaper and a few different makes of cartridge to see what works best for your gun.

Lyvale 2.5" 14g No9 nice clay cartridge and suit my remmy 1100 410 semi

Paterned my old o/u 410 with 2.5" and 3", No 7.5 & No 9 and the 3" was very poor and others have said the same with other makes of 410

Maybe 18-19 gram better suited to 28 gauge

I have heard of this before yet mine is very good with 18 grm Eley fibre wad, I often wonder how many test and how many assume though I do concur that the super mag 12 is little improvement on the 3" so perhaps its just my gun likes them

I prefer a a more open choked .410 so 1/2 or 1/4 using fiocchi magnum 19g no6. I've dropped crows out to 30yrds with them, there a great hard hitting cartridge. I need to get another .410!!

Interesting view on choke in the .410 I had the same suggested by a very well known gunsmith and trade importer. He said multichoke .410s were a waste of time and cost but outsold the fixed choke and the best choke was very little if pushed. although he almost exclusively sold multi choke that being the want of todays market.

I have heard of this before yet mine is very good with 18 grm Eley fibre wad, I often wonder how many test and how many assume though I do concur that the super mag 12 is little improvement on the 3" so perhaps its just my gun likes them

I agree. How many people change their multi chokes with only a vague understanding that it should widen or tighten the pattern, without actually patterning the cartridge and gun.

I agree. How many people change their multi chokes with only a vague understanding that it should widen or tighten the pattern, without actually patterning the cartridge and gun.

I'm finding better patterns with less choke in the fourten. I was lead to believe that a fourten needs a tight choke, now I believe that's not necessarily correct.