Farmer has Sprayed off all the rape

cloudwalker

Went out to check a farm with about 500 acres of rape on it. Found out the farmer has killed off the lot.

One or two fields had a lot of black grass in it but other fields just had the normal amount of weed cover.

The rape was about 4" high and there was a good plant across most fields. Now he has started to cultivate the fields again.

Any ideas why he would of done this. It must of cost him a fortune in seed, fuel, labour etc?

Totally Agree with Sprinter Charlock looks like rape and will be why its been sprayed off to kill it!

Probably the rape was put in too.late and with wet weather not taken then charlock takes over we have same issue here on 2 fields and had to.spray them off to kill it then will redrill.with beans in March as and when the weather improves! Assuming it does ......

May have been a lot of charlock in there if he got a bad batch of seed?

That would be my guess, its something that has started happening in the last couple of years in my area.

All 500 acres were Wheat which was combined in early August. They cut it, bailed and drilled it with rape within 24 hours, we were there when they did it. They then spread slug pellets over the lot.

It came well to start with but they were very late in spraying of the weeds (about 4 weeks ago) and there was a good covering of black grass.

It was definitely not mustard or charlock. My only thought was that they used the wrong spray and accidentally spray of the Rape.

Could this happen?