H+N Rabbit Magnum

Joshcup11

Im going down to the gunshop later and need your opinions on H and N rabbit magnums? I think theyre 21g which is quite heavy. Would these be good for rabbits up to 30-40 yards? Ive also looked at accupell's which claim to be the most accurate pellet. Is this true?All rabbits will be shot with a headshot but which would produce more knockdown power if i couldn't get within 25 yards?

Josh

Accuracy is more important than power so use the pellet that gives you the best grouping.

Heavy pellets will retain a slightly greater amount of energy down range but they will also be travelling slower and in a more loopy trajectory so getting clean kills past 25 yards will require a good range finding abilities and knowledge of how far the pellet will drop every yard or so.

AA field, JSB Exact, H+N field etc are usually good in many rifles .

Used 177 pellets against rabbits for some years in my early/mid 20s, killed far more with them than with 22s as the higher velocity made range estimation less critical. Stalk in to 25 yards and head shoot using what was in those days a state of the art Original 45. Pellets of choice then were RWS Superdomes, about 10gr from memory, more than enough given accurate placement.

I did find it almost impossible to kill pigeons cleanly with either caliber unless head shot.

A

Thanks to a lot of snowihad a lot of practice with my gun, could get a group the side of a 2p at 30 yards. Justgot back from lamping about ten minuitedago and not got a thing,got within 20 yards but found the lightwe use from the truck I'd too bright. I boughtsone avcupells and barracuda hunting 19 gr which I got got told were the legal limit for non fac. Applying for fac soon

Josh

Thanks to a lot of snowihad a lot of practice with my gun, could get a group the side of a 2p at 30 yards. Justgot back from lamping about ten minuitedago and not got a thing,got within 20 yards but found the lightwe use from the truck I'd too bright. I boughtsone avcupells and barracuda hunting 19 gr which I got got told were the legal limit for non fac. Applying for fac soon

Josh

Josh

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is such a thing as a 'legal limit' for the pellets, it's the output energy of the gun that is important. so you could put a 25gr pellet in a sub12 air rifle, but if the power is still below 12ft/lb, it's fine. The problem is when you take a gun that runs at 11.7 with a 15gr pellet. Put a 25gr pellet in there and that is going to be over the legal limit.

Incorrect, the velocity will be reduced due to the increased weight of the projectile, therefore effectively roughly equally reducing

the ft/lb, not saying it's not going to have an effect but not extensive

If you wantec to stay legal and be 100% then check using a chronograph.

The best pellet for rabbits would be the most accurate (lead) other materials like alloy super do it all just tend to drill through IMO

Incorrect, the velocity will be reduced due to the increased weight of the projectile, therefore effectively roughly equally reducing

the ft/lb, not saying it's not going to have an effect but not extensive

If you wantec to stay legal and be 100% then check using a chronograph.

The best pellet for rabbits would be the most accurate (lead) other materials like alloy super do it all just tend to drill through IMO

I think you will find in the vast majority of cases using a heavier pellet will marginally increase muzzle energy (ft lb), and tend to have a slightly bigger effect on down range energy. :good:

I hear talk of better energy with heavier pellets all the time, that is relatively neither here nor there, what is important is energy transfer.

The subject would take pages to cover but in simple terms a heavier pellet, tends to over penetrate less than a lighter pellet and have a bigger shock effect along the wound tract.

This is easier to demonstrate with calibres, lighter, smaller, .177 make smaller and neater holes, sometimes passing clean through and therefore wasting energy.

Terminal ballistics are what is important, not the fractional difference in energy a pellet may have upon arrival, but the effect that pellet has.

With energy levels of sub 12ft lb the differences all round can be marginal just the same.

ATB! :good:

The 25 grain rabbit magnums are a bullet shape rather than diabolo so have more drag in the bore. I found they were actually considerably down on power even though they're heavier. And they need to be running at FAC levels to be of much use at anything more than a few yards. Just my opinion, but I have tried them for myself. Personally, if you're gun is running much below 30ft lb I wouldn't bother with them.

The 25 grain rabbit magnums are a bullet shape rather than diabolo so have more drag in the bore. I found they were actually considerably down on power even though they're heavier. And they need to be running at FAC levels to be of much use at anything more than a few yards. Just my opinion, but I have tried them for myself. Personally, if you're gun is running much below 30ft lb I wouldn't bother with them.

I have tested it for myself aswell, i use magnums in my bsa which is 30ft lb which do a good job, but tried them in my 23ft lb daystate and 12ft lb air arms and not worth using as performance is reduced an accuracy goes out the window.

Ive just got back again after another disappointing night! Managed to get two,seen about twenty. I get within 25 yards and as soon as the lamp comes on there gone. I think im going to apply for my FAC and get a 50ft lb Air rifle? Or even a .22 rimfire, Do you think this is a good idea? Or have any problems getting it?

Ive just got back again after another disappointing night! Managed to get two,seen about twenty. I get within 25 yards and as soon as the lamp comes on there gone. I think im going to apply for my FAC and get a 50ft lb Air rifle? Or even a .22 rimfire, Do you think this is a good idea? Or have any problems getting it?

Save yourself the hassle and get a 2nd hand NV unit. :good: