Newbie shotgun questions

chavez

Hi All,

I just got myself a shotgun and I would be very grateful if you answered a few silly newbie questions:

1) I know that I am not allowed to expose firearms in public places. Does my back garden count as a public place? The neighbours' windows are looking over it so they can see what's going on there but it is sheltered from the street. The reason I am asking is because I'd rather clean my gun outdoors than in my living room to avoid all the nasty stuff from the barrel getting on my floor.

2) I intend to keep my barrels oiled when in storage for over a week. Do I need to dry-patch the barrels dry before firing (eg like a rifle) or is it ok to fire through slightly oiled barrels?

3) Do you put oil on the choke threads? And how tight do you screw the chokes in?

4) Is it ok to regularly fire 2 3/4" ammo through a 3" chamber?

5) What is the procedure if I need to leave the gun in my car unattended (e.g. stopping for a comfort break)? Removing the barrel and taking it with me?

6) Am I right that ammo does not have to be stored in a safe?

Thank you!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It is not illegal to have an unloaded firearm in a public place as long as you can provide good reason eg crossing a road from one permission to another.

2. Don't worry about dry patching your barrels, make sure you just have a fine film of oil in them for storage.

3. I use copper slip on my threads and screw them in until they are tight but you don't need to go silly, just nipped.

4. Totally fine.

5. Remove the forend and take it with you, maybe in a carrier bag.

6. Correct but use common sense and keep it out of sight.

Hi All,

I just got myself a shotgun and I would be very grateful if you answered a few silly newbie questions:

1) I know that I am not allowed to expose firearms in public places. Does my back garden count as a public place? The neighbours' windows are looking over it so they can see what's going on there but it is sheltered from the street. The reason I am asking is because I'd rather clean my gun outdoors than in my living room to avoid all the nasty stuff from the barrel getting on my floor.

Your fine

2) I intend to keep my barrels oiled when in storage for over a week. Do I need to dry-patch the barrels dry before firing (eg like a rifle) or is it ok to fire through slightly oiled barrels?

It's ok but avoid getting oil in the wood store barrels down.

3) Do you put oil on the choke threads? And how tight do you screw the chokes in?

Use copper slip stop them sticking in tighten with a key.

4) Is it ok to regularly fire 2 3/4" ammo through a 3" chamber? There fine.

5) What is the procedure if I need to leave the gun in my car unattended (e.g. stopping for a comfort break)? Removing the barrel and taking it with me?

Try not to but if you do take part with you like the forend

6) Am I right that ammo does not have to be stored in a safe?

Doesn't have to be lock away

Thank you!

Answers above.

1) Not sure, ive neved done it

2) No, theres no need.

3) Yes, screw them in relatively tight! You DONT want them coming loose, check them regularly.

4) Yes

5) You must take all reasonable precautions to prevent anyone accessing your gun, interpret that how you will.

6) Correct, shotgun carts can be kepy anywhere but common sense should prevail.

1. You need 'good reason' to have a gun out in a public space. Now, your garden isn't public, but if it's overlooked, then you can be causing alarm or distress to neighbours. Just clean the gun inside. Use an old blanket on the floor

2. I lightly oil my barrels after cleaning, then run through dry patches. The resulting oil film is very fine, and can be fired as is.

3. Lightly oil choke threads. Screw them in finger-tight, BUT always remember to fully tighten before shooting.

4. Yes, fine

5. The gun must be concealed. This has been covered a few times, but basically, park sensibly (good, open view around the car), and make sure nothing is on show.

6. Correct. If you shoot clays much, then you'll end up buying cartridges 1000 at a time. They live under the bed in the spare room in our house

I doubt very much my neighbours would be alarmed if I cleaned my shotguns in the garden, one of them is a policeman.

I haven't actually announced I have them but they must know I have guns as i put them in and out of the Land Rover when I go shooting, they must have seen me once or twice.

What would concern me is if I didn't know them well and were they the sort of people who would gossip about it in the wrong places so I ended up with someone breaking in to steal them.

The rest of the questions have been answered.

Storing it barrels down after oiling it is good advice, so it doesn't run into the stock and trigger mechanism if you do put a bit too much on.

Another question:

Am I allowed to take more than one gun with me onto a clay range to give it to a non-SGC holder? (e.g. a lighter gun for the Mrs who hasn't got an SGC yet)

I believe that for the field, I can hand out as many guns as I like as long as I have visual contact with other shooters? Is that also the case for clays?

Thank you.

Another question:

Am I allowed to take more than one gun with me onto a clay range to give it to a non-SGC holder? (e.g. a lighter gun for the Mrs who hasn't got an SGC yet)

I believe that for the field, I can hand out as many guns as I like as long as I have visual contact with other shooters? Is that also the case for clays?

Thank you.

Regarding second Q and shooting in the field this has been covered before and I have spoken with BASC on it. It doesn't matter whether you can see them or not. The crux of the issue is that you may only lend a gun to a non SGC holder if you are the occupier of the land.

I understand that if you are not the occupier then a possible work around solution is for the landowner to write a sort of permission slip that states that you are the occupier for shooting purposes only. But I have no idea as to whether this would withstand legal scrutiny if challenged.

Edited by Bobba

I think it would be very foolish to display your gun in the garden for any reason.people only see what they want to and one complaint could spell the end of your shooting.

If that can happen then its a sad state of affairs.

I was doing some gardening earlier and was cleaning my spade off in the garden, I remember reading over the years about a few people being bludgeoned to death with spades.

I hope my neighbours don't report me, it could spell the end of my gardening :(

I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of some of the actions on these forums why would anyone need to clean a shotgun in the garden just how much dirt do you think a set of barrels makes by all means stand out in your garden with a shotgun and see how long it is before the fao is calling to see you or maybe the armed response team.if you feel the need to show off the fact you have a gun do it at the clay ground this sport has a bad enough rep with the public people have had certificates revoked for a lot less but by all means help yourself.as a new cert holder you would lose it if just one of your neighbours phoned in a report.but as I say it wont be my guns going away so help yourself.there was a report in Essex about ten years ago where a chap answered his door with a dummy grenade in his hand as he was walking past the door when a taxi driver called two hours later the garden was covered with 6 officers all armed he went to court and was fined 1000 and will never hold any kind of firearm ever as a result.yes I know the bloke and all the circumstances.as a suggestion could you not clean it before leaving the ground where you shoot or is it that important to show the neighbours.

I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of some of the actions on these forums why would anyone need to clean a shotgun in the garden just how much dirt do you think a set of barrels makes by all means stand out in your garden with a shotgun and see how long it is before the fao is calling to see you or maybe the armed response team.if you feel the need to show off the fact you have a gun do it at the clay ground this sport has a bad enough rep with the public people have had certificates revoked for a lot less but by all means help yourself.as a new cert holder you would lose it if just one of your neighbours phoned in a report.but as I say it wont be my guns going away so help yourself.there was a report in Essex about ten years ago where a chap answered his door with a dummy grenade in his hand as he was walking past the door when a taxi driver called two hours later the garden was covered with 6 officers all armed he went to court and was fined 1000 and will never hold any kind of firearm ever as a result.yes I know the bloke and all the circumstances.as a suggestion could you not clean it before leaving the ground where you shoot or is it that important to show the neighbours.

Whats wrong with cleaning the gun on the patio in the summer when its a nice day? I do it, infact i often take the gun out of my car, leave the slip in the car and have the gun over my shoulder as i walk into the house. Go on, tell me how stupid that is, because its not stupid, or illegal or anything else.

Why treat shooting likes its a dirty word? It is a legal and enjoyable hobby, i certainly wont pussy foot around the situation because of one or two muppets.

Edited by Big Mat

And I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of some of the things you post on this forum.

There is a world of difference between cleaning your gun in your back garden and answering the door with a grenade in your hand, dummy or otherwise.When has it ever been legal to possess a grenade in this country!!?

You cannot be arrested, cautioned or have your licence revoked and guns confiscated for cleaning them in your own garden, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous! Your neighbours can by all means call the local rozzers who may even send round armed response, but they will go away empty handed and perhaps a little embarassed after explaining to your neighbour that what you are doing is perfectly legal.

I have often cleaned mine in the garden on a nice day, where the fumes don't bother anyone.

Why do you consider cleaning your gun in the garden as showing off? Get a grip.

And I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of some of the things you post on this forum.

There is a world of difference between cleaning your gun in your back garden and answering the door with a grenade in your hand, dummy or otherwise.When has it ever been legal to possess a grenade in this country!!?

You cannot be arrested, cautioned or have your licence revoked and guns confiscated for cleaning them in your own garden, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous! Your neighbours can by all means call the local rozzers who may even send round armed response, but they will go away empty handed and perhaps a little embarassed after explaining to your neighbour that what you are doing is perfectly legal.

I have often cleaned mine in the garden on a nice day, where the fumes don't bother anyone.

Why do you consider cleaning your gun in the garden as showing off? Get a grip.

it is not illegal to hold any dummy weapons or deactivated weapons in this country.many a certificate has been revoked some for good some for a short period whilst investigations are done when an angry spouse or neighbour complains to the police that they feel threatened just because you own a gun.did you realise that if a member of your family stated they did not want guns stored in the home that could lead to refusal firearms are looked on in a very poor light in this country but feel free to carry on you may get along with it for years but then on the other hand.try it if you are that sure get one of your friendly neighbours to call the [police to say you are sitting in your garden with a gun is it worth all that hassle.why do people ask such questions on these forums is it they are afraid the answer that might come back from the fao would not fit what they wanted.clean your guns in your garden if you wish clean them in the car park of the supermarket while your wife does the shopping I could care less.there is enough paranoia around guns in this country without needless adding to it.i would advise not to do it as for the legal side I leave that to the police.i post my views on here in a non offensive manner if you do not like what I say then just ignore it simples

Regarding second Q and shooting in the field this has been covered before and I have spoken with BASC on it. It doesn't matter whether you can see them or not. The crux of the issue is that you may only lend a gun to a non SGC holder if you are the occupier of the land.

Not quite right. Being the occupier is a status which allows the exemption for visitors from having to have a SGC.. The fact that the borrower has to be supervised which is taken as being in sight and sound of the occupier is a condition of that exemption.

it is not illegal to hold any dummy weapons or deactivated weapons in this country.

And neither is it illegal to clean your legally held firearms in your garden. The point is, that if your neighbour reports the fact you have a gun in your garden the Police may just may, check to see if the person at that address is the holder of a SGC or FAC, neither of which is relevant to the possession of hand grenades, dummy or otherwise.

many a certificate has been revoked some for good some for a short period whilst investigations are done when an angry spouse or neighbour complains to the police that they feel threatened just because you own a gun.Can't argue with that but irrelevant to the discussion.

did you realise that if a member of your family stated they did not want guns stored in the home that could lead to refusal Yes, but irrelevant to the discussion.

firearms are looked on in a very poor light in this country Again, irrelevant to the discussion but your subservient attitude only panders to this 'poor light'.

but feel free to carry on you may get along with it for years but then on the other hand.

try it if you are that sure get one of your friendly neighbours to call the [police to say you are sitting in your garden with a gun I already have, including my son shooting his airgun in the garden. One neighbour complained claiming it scared his dog, but his wife told me it is he who is scared. When he called round I informed him that what I was doing was perfectly legitimate and I would no longer shoot that day, but I wasn't prepared to stop my son shooting his airgun in the back garden in future, and that if he was sure that what I was doing was illegal he was perfectly entitled to call the Police. He hasn't done so far

is it worth all that hassle.What hassle? Carrying out a legitimate practise?

why do people ask such questions on these forums is it they are afraid the answer that might come back from the fao would not fit what they wanted.I think the OP was asking a perfectly simple and sensible question to which he received simple and sensible answers until you joined in with your claims of 'stupidity'.

clean your guns in your garden if you wish Thank you.

clean them in the car park of the supermarket while your wife does the shopping Now who's being stupid!

I could care less.Obviously you could.

there is enough paranoia around guns in this country without needless adding to it.i would advise not to do it as for the legal side I leave that to the police.

i post my views on here in a non offensive manner No you didn't; you claimed all those opposing views were 'stupidity' and that anyone who cleaned their guns in their own back garden were 'showing off''

if you do not like what I say then just ignore it simples Ignoring stupid comments would be the downfall of shooting disciplines nationwide. Think about it.To paraphrase a well known saying..... All it takes for evil (or stupidity) to prosper, is for good men to say nothing.

Ive collected deact Grenades for years.

(Not sure if your response is sarcasm or not)

Fair comment and fair point,and no sarcasm intended,but I doubt you answer your door with one in your hand despite it not being illegal.The point I was trying to make is that whilst it is not illegal to own or collect deactivated weapons, there is no requirement by law to have certificates for such weapons, and therefore they would not show up on any database the Police may have concerning an individual, whereas a legitimately owned firearm would. I admit this on its own may not prevent armed response calling, but there is a difference. Answering the door with a dummy handgrenade or legally owned firearm isn't up there on todays 'to do list'.

Frankly, if anyone answered their door holding a grenade or a gun (legitimately owned or not) is a lot different to cleaning a legitimately owned gun in the privacy (even if overlooked) of their garden.