Advice on economy motors

welsh1

I drive a st220 estate which is a 3l v6,now all it is used for is the wife driving a mile or so back and fore to work and she does a 28 mile round trip to see her Mum on a Saturday,the car then does the occasional blast on the continent or round the country but this is rare.

The fuel costs are as you can imagine fairly large,and each tyre costs an arm.So i have been toying with the idea of a small car for her to run around in as i have the navara for longer journeys.

I love my st220 but think it may be time to look for something else for now,to that end does anyone have experience of the toyota prius,and also a smart car,not looking new,about 4k,what they like to live with, do the figures make it worth it fuel wise.

And lastly can you get a prius or smart on decent lease prices,anyone got any pointers.

Thank you in advance for you comments good,bad or plain mad :good::lol:

P.S anyone like rare st220 estates :rolleyes:

now all it is used for is the wife driving a mile or so back and fore to work and she does a 28 mile round trip to see her Mum on a Saturday,the car then does the occasional blast on the continent or round the country but this rare.

From your description of usage, the car is only doing 150 mile per month!!!! Tyres should last about 10 yrs!!!

At that mileage, you wouldn't get the benefit of a diesel. Better off with a small petrol yaris or similar.

Edited by stuey

Forget the Prius according to motoring journos your far better of with a compact diesel car.

Figgy

For the miles driven a diesel is not really the best option,cost of diesel v distance done

two peeps at work got kia,s 1.4 diesel 60+ to the gallon n 7 year warrenty .my 1,7cdti astra does 55/60 or the polo 1.4 diesel does 75 to gallon cheap as chips

As above,but i am curious about the polo,is that a tank to tank 75mpg or trip computer, also how many miles a week?

My daughter has a Prius Hybrid and its a phenomenal car.........one day all cars will be like this....I couldn't find any thing bad to say about it and Im sure your wife wouldn't be disappointed with one. Be warned though its not as small as you might imagine.

I have sat in one,and it seems to be the industry leader,getting one at the right price may be the problem.

And JABB appreciate the advice.

From your description of usage, the car is only doing 150 mile per month!!!! Tyres should last about 10 yrs!!!

At that mileage, you wouldn't get the benefit of a diesel. Better off with a small petrol yaris or similar.

This is the problem, i have quoted the normal week to week use, but in between we may pop to our local cinema 30 miles one way or some decent shops in swansea 45 miles one way,as for the tyre situation you would be surprised how quick i can wear them out, 3lv6 240bhp :) Each tyre is about £130 :oops:

The car was bought to be fun in and it does that extremely well but it drinks fuel and i could be spending the money on other things,like university fees :rolleyes:

I believe you also mentioned a 'Smart'

avoid like the plague, = plastic panels held together with glass powered by a hairdrier motor,

what about one of the smaller i10 or i20 even i30 Hyundai's ? good warranty and great customer support

Keep the ST220, ................................ Youre far to old for University :P

Edited by TaxiDriver

I believe you also mentioned a 'Smart'

avoid like the plague, = plastic panels held together with glass powered by a hairdrier motor,

what about one of the smaller i10 or i20 even i30 Hyundai's ? good warranty and great customer support

Keep the ST220, ................................ Youre far to old for University :P

Bog off!

The Smart has a safety cage made out of 3mm boron steel - same stuff as used in making tanks. Panels are screwed on and easily changed if they get damaged. The engine is a turbocharged 600cc if getting an older one, has enough grunt to haul the wee beast to 84mph (restricted top speed). My mother gets 60+ mpg out of her petrol Smart!

Thumbs up for Smart had 2 one with over 130k miles on it currently have a convertable, as long as the oil is changed regularly with Mobil1 they are great cheap "lifestyle" motors just me and the missus and a small dog it's all we need . Don't listen to the haters they have probably never owned one (bit like Hatsan haters) , and you'lll be amazed at the space inside.

I drive a st220 estate which is a 3l v6,now all it is used for is the wife driving a mile or so back and fore to work and she does a 28 mile round trip to see her Mum on a Saturday,the car then does the occasional blast on the continent or round the country but this is rare.

The fuel costs are as you can imagine fairly large,and each tyre costs an arm.So i have been toying with the idea of a small car for her to run around in as i have the navara for longer journeys.

I love my st220 but think it may be time to look for something else for now,to that end does anyone have experience of the toyota prius,and also a smart car,not looking new,about 4k,what they like to live with, do the figures make it worth it fuel wise.

And lastly can you get a prius or smart on decent lease prices,anyone got any pointers.

Thank you in advance for you comments good,bad or plain mad :good::lol:

P.S anyone like rare st220 estates :rolleyes:

Tell the Mrs to walk to her mothers! It's her bad driving that's scrubbing the tyres anyway!

Go to local dealers and tell them you want a low mileage older trade in, usually well maintained and good for at least a couple of years. They're glad to get shot of them at any price when they're busy. Higher tax but low insurance, Never pay more than £500 and get rid when they need tyres.

clio 1.5 DCI 100 bhp £20 quid a year tax, 70 mpg, galvanised body/plastic wings so no rust and still does over 100 mph so not that slow £65 quid a tyre 195/50/15 but it is french :whistling: but most parts made in germeny by bosch/siemens had mine 4 years now and its been pritty good, exhaust is still like new even after 90k

Edited by RAMMER BURT

if it is just one mile - WALK

She does on occasions,but we live on the top of a hill, coming back is the problem,have you been to Wales,it is raining most of the time :lol:

Loan her your truck to get to he mums.

How do i go out shooting?

Save a fortune and get a fit wife in no time :good:

I already have a fit wife :good:

from the mileage your doing if you work out the costs i bet the ST is not that much worse than a smaller car to run once taken into account cost of buying the replacement car or leasing a new one. Also got the advantage you know the ST and if its been looked after, whereas buying a second hand car you run the normal risks.

Also big thing to remember is your will be going from a top of the range motor to something on the cheaper end of the scale (even if its worth more) We recently went looking for a new car for my wife and test drove some smaller motors and she hated them as used to having the power and comfort of bigger cars which smaller cheaper cars no matter how hard they try cant come close to.

Last time I looked you could lease a VW up for about £69 a month

I expect you can with a £5k deposit :lol: , we had a look at the UP thingy as a cheapo run about on lease as they were advertised for £99 per month but soon found it was basically a marketing ploy to get you through the door. They have about 5 different specs and the first two on the ladder are about as attractive inside as my used pants, most of my shoes are better made too.

By the time you spec it to include electric mirrors :rolleyes: and remote locking it was close to £300 a month, they must see VW owners coming. :rolleyes::yes:

Our OP would do well to get a 1.0 petrol super mini from Suzuki, Toyota, Vauxhall etc.

Edited by Hamster

http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/car-leasing-companies/independent-brokers/lease-99/volkswagen/up/21587027/

Personal usually just add the VAT. Cheap enough and 5k a year should suit.

Not saying it is a good car, but at that money, cheap enough

I personally think the deal is unlikely to suit our OP, £1557 is a great deal of money as deposit on a base car with a 2 year deal, it would be over all too soon and he'd have to hand it back and find another big deposit which just isn't worth it on such cheap cars, besides these are all based on business use so another 20% has to be taken into account which makes it even worse. You can buy a high spec 1 year old small car for £7k ish.

i think the leasing route is a no go, the idea was to sell my st and use that money to buy small /economical hence the prius,i have looked about and there are a few prius out there for about 4k,it is just a matter of selling the st and getting out with the cash in my pocket,have looked at a few other cars including the vw up,but as said you need the mid range model to get anything close to comfort, and leasing would defeat the idea as i would pay the lease and then the fuel.

My head says get a prius, but my heart loves the grunt and roar of my v6 st,add to the fact you don't see many on the road and i am so torn,but with my heavy foot 18mpg is not unusual.

Thanks for all the input chaps,given me a few other things to think about.

My baby,

sy26.jpg