Advice on economy motors

welsh1

http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/car-leasing-companies/independent-brokers/lease-99/volkswagen/up/21587027/

Personal usually just add the VAT. Cheap enough and 5k a year should suit.

Not saying it is a good car, but at that money, cheap enough

I personally think the deal is unlikely to suit our OP, £1557 is a great deal of money as deposit on a base car with a 2 year deal, it would be over all too soon and he'd have to hand it back and find another big deposit which just isn't worth it on such cheap cars, besides these are all based on business use so another 20% has to be taken into account which makes it even worse. You can buy a high spec 1 year old small car for £7k ish.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the leasing route is a no go, the idea was to sell my st and use that money to buy small /economical hence the prius,i have looked about and there are a few prius out there for about 4k,it is just a matter of selling the st and getting out with the cash in my pocket,have looked at a few other cars including the vw up,but as said you need the mid range model to get anything close to comfort, and leasing would defeat the idea as i would pay the lease and then the fuel.

My head says get a prius, but my heart loves the grunt and roar of my v6 st,add to the fact you don't see many on the road and i am so torn,but with my heavy foot 18mpg is not unusual.

Thanks for all the input chaps,given me a few other things to think about.

My baby,

sy26.jpg

I drive a Skoda Fabia and can't fault it. Bulletproof reliability in the two years I've had it (second hand), very comfortable to drive, and deceptively roomy on the inside compared to other small hatches. I'm 6'3 and fit in it no problem. Also feels really "planted" on the road and handles nicely.... All of the above not surprising as chassis, running gear, and most engine components are all VW. ( Rumour has it wiring loom is made by Porsche, in which case that's the closest I'll ever get to one!)

I have a basic 1.4 petrol on a 58 plate, and do a 12 mile round trip to work each day round the country lanes. During the summer I get 40-42mpg, and in the winter with lights, heater, rear-screen etc all on, about 38mpg.

Only criticism I have it that it's not the fastest away from the lights, but then that's not what I bought it for... There isn't a traffic light for miles around out here! :good:

Edited by Longchalk

The batteries in the Prius won't last forever, and at £4K you're obviously looking at ones that are a few years old.

I'd avoid them like the plague.

If it bothers you the batteries are full of rare elements that are mostly sourced from China, and they have to be carefully

disposed of so if you look at the life-cycle of the car it's not particularly green either.

Nial.

The batteries seem to last quite well on the Prius, there are lots of them running about with 200,000+ on the clock, so with the miles it would be used for the. I think they would last a good few years.

As for the green side,I drive an st 220 3l v6 and also a 2.5 174bhp navara which goes through a couple of tanks a week, so I am not exactly hugging bunnies and making daisy chains at the moment :) but who knows,hemp shirts and open sandals have an appeal ;)

The batteries seem to last quite well on the Prius, there are lots of them running about with 200,000+ on the clock, so with the miles it would be used for the. I think they would last a good few years.

As for the green side,I drive an st 220 3l v6 and also a 2.5 174bhp navara which goes through a couple of tanks a week, so I am not exactly hugging bunnies and making daisy chains at the moment :) but who knows,hemp shirts and open sandals have an appeal ;)

Exactly and your looking at doing under 50 miles a week in it, the batteries won't get charged.

• 1 month later...

Well a quick update on the thread i started,

i have now no longer got a 3l v6 240bhp car,instead i have a 1l 75bhp car,thats right 75bhp :lol:

Walked into a car showroom yesterday and today drove away with a vw groove up!,a nice 300w amplifier and fender system built in hence the "groove" part,and from the outside it is tiny, but inside it is tardis like,and very roomy,drives like a go cart and the best part 60mpg,compare that to the 20mpg i was getting.

Apologies to Taxidriver,i know its a vw mate but they have good reviews and more importantly it comes at the right price :)

new%20car-L.jpg

Edited by welsh1

I bought an 05 Rav4 with 53k on the clock last week and getting 53-55mpg on the 60 mile motorway commute according to the trip monitor.

My son has just bought a BMW 320d auto estate (X reg) for work, it is unbelieveable good on fuel, getting around 47mpg