Sporting and game guns ?

Beaniehurley

Im in a similar position at the moment having seen some game guns i like and some sporters.

As has been pointed out the game guns are lighter and have a smaller rib. But how does this relate to the shooting? Do you get more recoil with a lighter gun? Are they more difficult to swing? etc.

Just trying to get a insight into why a sporter is recommend over a game as an 'allrounder'

If I am about to start shooting about 50/50 clays and game what would I be better off having ,game or sporter.

I'll throw a spanner in the works and say get a game gun and shoot clays with 21G cartridges.

My first gun was a sporter as I shot more clays. Got invited on 2 game shoots and arm ached carting the lump of the gun about so have a lighter game gun in addition.

I'd rather shoot clays with a game gun (with lighter cartridges) than lug a heavy sporter around a shoot.

Im in a similar position at the moment having seen some game guns i like and some sporters.

As has been pointed out the game guns are lighter and have a smaller rib. But how does this relate to the shooting? Do you get more recoil with a lighter gun? Are they more difficult to swing? etc.

Just trying to get a insight into why a sporter is recommend over a game as an 'allrounder'

lighter guns will always have more recoil, and are much quicker moving. not something that is always desirable for clay shooting.

alot of clay shooters like the extra weight for a smoother swing and follow through.

using a sporter adds that bit of weight for when your shooting clays, but they generally weigh less than a dedicated clay only gun as the barrels are usually around 28inches, but most are multi choke allowing you to 'choke up' for the extra constriction that you would get with a clay gun.

sporters are really designed to be an in-between gun, heavy enough to shoot a round of clays comfortably with decent size carts, and light enough for an average person to carry on a game shoot.

quick enough for shooting driven game, but smooth enough to shoot clays...

i hope that hasnt confused you!?!?!?!? lol

No not confused me at all. That all makes sense and has confirmed my thoughts, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I guess it comes down to personal preference whether you dont mind carrying something heavier on a game shoot or whether you can cope with a lighter gun for clays.

I'll have to see if i can try them both and see what suits me best.

There are thousands of second / third hand side by side around so you could easily pick up a sub £300 one for game and a over under for clays again plenty of good guns from £400 plus, new starting about £600 plus and big names from about £1200-1500

Old is not a bad thing in shotguns unless not looked after or shot out

Gun Fit, most will be quite a good fit off the shelf and when you have had a few months practice you can get them adjusted to you for about £40 to bend the stock to fit 100% or shorten / lengthen etc maybe a bit more

Edited by ChrisAsh

Depends on wot ur shooting and how much of it, i've always shot sxs but for a new shooter ur probably best to go for an OU, if ur just doing purely driven shooting standing on a peg plus clays the extra weight won't be noticed and will help if fireing a lot of shells, if ur doing a lot of walking up/rough shooting u really wil notice the extra wieght and won't be firing a lot of shells so won't notice the recoil, but ur arm will ache by end of day.

I shoot 21g loads on rare occasions i shoot at clays, as shooting 100 odd shells of in quick succesion u do feel it with a light sxs.

I personally would reccommend an auto safety model for a new shot (or anyone really), (basically every time u open gun it reapplies the safety automatially) i don't like the fact that someone could be walking round with a closed gun with no saftey on for long periods of time and not even realise.

Like the above post said no need to spend vast fortunes on a shot gun, it does not make u shoot any better, it is the fit that will improve ur shooting

I agree with Apache and Scotslad. I have both game (o/u and s/s) guns and sporters (o/u), but tend to use a game gun with 21g cartridges for clays and 26, 28 or 30g for game. I find (after many years changing guns and with a choice of a dozen in the cupboard) that I use a 6 3/4 lb s/s for pretty much anything and everything - just use a lighter 21g cartridge when shooting clays.

I have a game gun and shoot clays with 28 grms carts,personally I don't find recoil a problem.i think a game is good if you don't shoot endless clays in a day.a game is good for all,I had a sporter and its too heavy for walking about,but if you're on a peg then there're a good choice

There is a saying 'beware the man with only 1 gun' if u have only the 1 gun u will/should swing it like its part of u, but if ur constantly chopping and changing guns for different tings clays/game esp when starting off u will never get the 'feel' for ur gun.,

But unlike with rifles the more expense shotgun is not more accurate, so i would buy a cheaper second hand gun and spend the money u save on a lesson or 2

Depends on wot ur shooting and how much of it, i've always shot sxs but for a new shooter ur probably best to go for an OU, if ur just doing purely driven shooting standing on a peg plus clays the extra weight won't be noticed and will help if fireing a lot of shells, if ur doing a lot of walking up/rough shooting u really wil notice the extra wieght and won't be firing a lot of shells so won't notice the recoil, but ur arm will ache by end of day.

I shoot 21g loads on rare occasions i shoot at clays, as shooting 100 odd shells of in quick succesion u do feel it with a light sxs.

I personally would reccommend an auto safety model for a new shot (or anyone really), (basically every time u open gun it reapplies the safety automatially) i don't like the fact that someone could be walking round with a closed gun with no saftey on for long periods of time and not even realise.

Like the above post said no need to spend vast fortunes on a shot gun, it does not make u shoot any better, it is the fit that will improve ur shooting .

+1

I personally would reccommend an auto safety model for a new shooter.