Telegraph handgun poll

Mr. Merkel

Simples, ban the lot and we can all take up knitting and wonder where it went wrong.

I don't necessarily want a hand gun but will stand by those that do, just like they may have no interest in my shotgun but respect my right to miss clays on a Sunday.

All this carp about too dangerous or keep on a range, ***? Are you for real? That can be applied to all guns, including airguns, is it such a good idea, is a .38spc any more dangerous than my 12 bore with sg shot? Or someone else's 22.250 or .243?

Does it make you want to run about like a nutter? No, it doesn't, so why the hysteria over bringing them back?

Unlikely to happen but even less likely if we do nothing about it.

What's next? Cricket bats stored in the pavilion as they're far too dangerous to allow Normal people to have, fishing?

Get a grip.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

handguns will always attract the waltish, i knew a few people when i used to frequent a local range who were up to no good with them, unfortunately there are devious people out there who will try and pull the wool over an feo's eyes for their own gain.

Of course i know we're not all like that, but how can you tell?

I'm assuming you alerted the relevant authorities regarding those 'up to no good' then?

There are still many people out there with handguns such as LBR or LBP, and even more with blackpowder handguns, not to mention all those who shoot CF carbine.....but they're obviously walts so it wouldn't matter if those were banned would it?

The rest of your post could easily refer to any other and all types of firearms, and as you say,'how can you tell'?

CF semi auto rifles went after Hungerford so there is little chance of another massacre being carried out with one of those. CF handguns in their most common format went following Dunblane so there is only a reduced chance of those being used next time. The last one was carried out with the most common two firearms in legal circulation, and as they are so common it stands to reason there is every chance they are the firearms which will be used next time.I believe next time will be the last time;and Camerons assertions that you 'cannot legislate for a switch being flicked' (or whatever it was he said) wont cut much ice a second time. If Bird had walked into his nearest school on that day I doubt I'd be typing this.We are far too small in number and far too fractured to survive another, and there is nothing anyone can do to prevent it, sadly for all concerned. So to all those who are busy congratulating themselves for their disapproval of handguns, don't pat yourselves on the back too hard; there's a good chance they wont be coming for pistols next time.

I'm fully in agreement with the post of Blunderbuss. I shot on many ranges when handguns were common, in quarries and on MOD ranges, and there were four pistol ranges less than one hours drive away, and an indoor one just over an hour away, now there is just one. They mostly shoot BP and CF carbine.

We shot Bullseye competitions, PP1 and 2, skittles,falling plate, postal leagues and a bit of Practical at least once a week and more when the evenings were light. We had a laugh and great fun. There were even two female walts in our club, and believe it or not one of them was a real looker which ensured we always made an effort at club functions!

Handguns wont be coming back, and even if they did I doubt I'd start again. I had some real classics, mostly of around First World War vintage (plus some modern models also of course including the famous Model 29, made so by none other than Dirty Harry himself!) but all were confiscated. I'm too old (and too poor!) to start collecting again.A young lad in a nearby club had a good collection of .455 calibre revolvers; a collection started by his Father, all those went too. Never mind though,eh.

I doubt that many on here are old enough to remember when handguns were in full public use.or when you did not need a license for shotguns or when the shotguns you did hold were not registered to your post card cert in the early seventies.as I remember at the time they were taken away there was no counter by any of the organizations and to this day still has never been.i believe it was wrong for the sport to have been taken as it was there were and still are various measures that could be put in place to allow target shooting at ranges.there are a lot of threads on this forum from time to time complaining about a wide variety of things mainly the police and the service they provide at grant or renewal yet most of the people who shout the loudest are not members of any organization why should they pay 60 pounds a year to help protect the sports they are so passionate about.i am now a member of both of the main ones if every fac/sgc put their money where there mouth is we would have a voice that would be heard.there are only around 140 thousand members nationwide and yet there are app 700 thousand certs in circulation a poor show by any standards.so think on 140 thousand in a population of 70 million are you really surprised at shooting of all types being under threat.step up and be counted then and only then will you maybe see the return of some of our unjust losses.

So when the ban/restriction of handguns came about, what actually happened with the owner of the handgun?Did they have to hand it in to a local police station or rfd?What happened about the cost of the firearm?

The guns were handed in and compensation was paid however in most cases this did not reflect the true value.a few were able to get their guns sold privately out of the country but a very few.i would imagine that the government sold off a lot of them around the world.but that is only my assumption.

bostonmick the William Wallis of PW. They may take our handguns but they will never take our freedom!!!!

You would do well to remember that the efforts of the shooters from the past is why you still have it today.i wonder how long the present day ones will keep it safe for future generations.you are as always free to take the **** after all it takes less effort than standing up.

You would do well to not taking me seriously... just a bit of fun old bean.

I take nothing on here seriously.i am to old for that now .however I do despair at what is happening in the sport that I have loved for over forty years.i would like to think it will still be there in the years to come but doubtful to be honest.

So when the ban/restriction of handguns came about, what actually happened with the owner of the handgun?

Did they have to hand it in to a local police station or rfd?

What happened about the cost of the firearm?

We had to get valuations carried out and then received forms from the HO to complete. To be fair I got a good deal for my guns but would rather have kept my property to be honest.

The problems arose with HO officials who seemed to resent me applying fro compensation for all the ancilleries such as re-loading gear, bullet heads, brass etc, as they just assumed I would use them for CF carbine shooting. As I had no interest in that type of shooting I stated I wanted compensation for the lot...every little thing, and eventually got it.

When I handed them in at the local cop shop the officer who was taking their details said it was a shame as it wouldn't 'make a s****e of difference'. History has proved not only him, right.

I agree with Bostonmicks post at 81. We have learned nothing and apathy and indifference continue, a stark example is such as the airgun licensing farce in Scotland. I think there were around 20,000 submissions out of how many airgun owners....half a million?....more?

im just old enough to remeber pistols being in full use in the uk. i was 12 when they got completey banned.

i remember my uncle's business having to close, and him losing ALOT of money because of it (he was a RFD, owned an indoor and outdoor range and was also a firearms advisor to the chief of police in kent)

i still belive, as do many others, that it was an unfair kneejerk reaction to a terrible series of events.

on a positive note, i'm off to florida in 3 months for my honeymoon and my lovely wife to be is taking me to a range for a morning.

:yahoo:

Yeah and some pillock has posted this: -

"After all, why should only criminals be 'allowed' to possess guns and shoot unarmed, defenceless citizens and police officers?"

We don't want handgun restrictions lifted so we can defend ourselves *** :no:

A lot of shooters on here show the same level of ignorance about handguns as the average Joe shows about shotguns or rifles. All the 'Walt' and 'why would you want one' comments could be directed at anyone, who owns any kind of gun, by those who don't do it. In the 80s and 90s I was a very active target pistol shooter and loved it. People who weren't around then perhaps don't realise how popular it was. It was far and away the most popular target sport primarily because it was so accessible and unpretentious. you could build a 25 metre range in places where you could never have a clay range or centrefire rifle range, and be reasonably competitive in some disciplines with a WW2 revolver which cost a hundred quid. Pistol clubs were on industrial estates, in TA barracks, in old quarries and in just about every town in the country. It was a freindly, accessible sport and the atmosphere in most clubs was like a groups of mates playing darts or bowls. I was in the the Army at the time, and moved around a lot. I never had trouble finding a pistol club wherever I lived and in some places I joined clubs which shot in police station basements with friendly competitions between cops and civvies. It seems unusual now, and pistols seem exotic and different to some on here, and because of that a little odd, but beleive me that is a recent thing. When I started, pistols were common, unremarkable and fun. They hadn't been demonized by the media in the way they have now, a smear campaign that too many people on here have bought in to. Don't moan when the smear campaign evcentully extends to your chosen sport and you get branded a Walt/Wierdo/potential serial killer for wanting a shotgun or air rifle.

When pistols were banned I gave up shooting for 15 years because I was so disgusted at having my legally owned property confiscated and being treated as a potential fruit loop, especailly as i was serving at the time and expected to carry a gun when it suited, but not trusted to do so when it didnt. I had no interest at the time in rifles or shotguns. I regret that now and enjoy shooting again but really miss shooting skittles, PP1, practical, long range pistol and all the other disciplines.

I currently shoot a Lee Enfield No4 .303 bolt action. Its not the most accurate rifle in the world, but it's fun to try and master the crude iron sights, and to enjoy the history and engineering. Knowing it might have been carried at Arnhem, Tobruk, Imjin or Suez. I used to feel exactly the same about my Webley Mk6 .455 revolver, with the added bonus that I could shoot it at a local council owned range after work every week, and not once a month on a gallery range that's a 70 mile round trip with the Lee Enfield. Does that make me a Walt?

These polls and petitions are a waste of time in my opinion, though I understand why people try. I seriously doubt widespread pistol ownership is ever coming back. That is sad, but not half a sad as how selfish, intolerant and "I'm all right jack” too many shooters are.

A prediction for you. About 10 years after the last legally owned shotgun and .22 rabbit rifle has been handed in, people will talk about those that owned them like some on here talk about pistol shooters now. Walt's, wierdos and fantasists. As a persecuted minority, sometimes we deserve all we get and are our own worst enemies.

Basically this is the best post on the subject.

We are our own worst enemy and we'll all be crying into our cornflakes when unless you're a farmer shotguns and rifles are eventually outlawed.

Edited by Muddy Funker

Why are people even trying to go on this so called poll can't you see by the wording it is designed to cause another round of slagging off shooting.just another attempt to sell newspapers and sensationalism.

What do you want?

in one breath you tell us all to stop being so apathetic and to speak out,in the next breath you ask why we even bother.

Every time a poll like this is raised and no one votes to keep shooting it will be waved in your face as proof the public do not want shooting,if you vote it will knock them back when they see a vocal majority want shooting,and if poll after poll shows people want shooting they will stop banging their drum to stop shooting.

So what do you want shooters to be silent or vocal? make your mind up.

I agree with this.a pistol has almost no accuracy over distance so why would you need one at home.your not going to go shooting fox's or deer rabbits with it

Tripe

i myself have no opinion on whether handguns should be allowed to the general public

Eh??? in one post you agree with someone who says they don't think the general public should be allowed to own handguns, then you say you have no opinion on it!? Make your mind up and try at least to be consistent!

step up and be counted then and only then will you maybe see the return of some of our unjust losses.

. Does that include rubbishing handgun accuracy and questioning why anyone would want one?