two eyes or one

bigfish1

Having trouble shooting with both eyes open.wen I practice on corner of ceilling I seem to have it spot on with both eyes open but wen in feild following bird can c to barels is there much of a diffrence shooting with one eye or two

This may sound weird but give it a try. It was recommended to me by a very well known gunsmith. When you grip your fore grip, instead of having your thumb just running along the side of of the fore grip raise it slightly so it's running along the top of the fore grip and parrallel to and abutting the barrel but without obstructing you view. Good luck.

I would say put a box twenty yards out in a field instinctively fire a shot at it .Just as you would if it was a rabbit. If you miss it could be gun fit or wrong dominant eye. Then go to a local clay ground for some advise. It you are just firing at pigeons and missing . The clay ground will sort you out. If you are right handed and left eyed the stock will need to be adjusted. Then you will get much more from your sport. good luck .woodfordpigeon From sunny cornwall

I started on rifles when very young so always closed one eye, now I shoot shotgun as well I cant break the habit but it dosnt make any difference , my kill rate is averaging around 65% so Im happy, do what feels right , if your missing targets on a regular basis then its more likely to be gun fit or dominent eye problem,

To test dominent eye just get a cd, pick a target about 15 yards away with both eyes open , lift the cd at arms length, so that you are looking through the centre hole at the target, first with right eye covered, then left eye covered, if the image remains in the centre of the cd hole , that is your dominent eye, with the weaker eye the image will move an inch or two either left or right.

For gun fit, stand in front of a large mirror with the gun empty chambered, lift the gun and sight on your own eye, straight down the barrel, the gun should sit tight to your shoulder and perfectly in line with the image in the mirror, if the fit is out the stock will be high or low, adjust by changing the butt plate either thicker or thinner,

If all this fails go to a gunsmith or shooting school for more help, or sell the gun and buy a fishing rod. :lol::lol:

Edited by lakeside1000

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. For most shots I close my left eye as I raise the gun to the shoulder.....so I have both eyes open to start so this should help me judge distance, but I then have a "clear picture" of the bird with my right eye as I mount. If I keep both eyes open I can be OK but I often get a blurred vision mid-swing and lose the "picture".....this happens more with a right to left swing. When I have a quick swing/shot I don't know what happens but I don't have any issues and hit more with these instinct shots.

You can get some aids to help your less dominant eye with patches to fit on glasses to create a blurred image of the bead from your dominatn eye, so your brain switches to the better image from the less dominant eye,,,but you still have vision from both eyes. Another aid is a flourescent bead which is bright green when viewed straight down the rib...again this tricks the brain into accepting the better image...which is the one down the rib. I tried this on a friends gun but did not find it to work with a practice swing...but may be different with a target in the picture. Have a google search for eye dominance to see the aids available.....or just try to shut one eye as you mount....cheaper and easier if it works for you.

Why not avoid all of the guesswork and heartache and possibly save yourself money in the long run. Book a lesson with a qualified Instructor. He will be able to spot any 'master eye' problems straight away. He should also be able to correct any stance and gun mounting problems too along with your gun fit. It should be less than £80 for a 2 hour 50 bird and cartridges lesson(and in my case a coffee and sausage butty thrown in). It could be the best money that you have ever spent.

Why not avoid all of the guesswork and heartache and possibly save yourself money in the long run. Book a lesson with a qualified Instructor. He will be able to spot any 'master eye' problems straight away. He should also be able to correct any stance and gun mounting problems too along with your gun fit. It should be less than £80 for a 2 hour 50 bird and cartridges lesson(and in my case a coffee and sausage butty thrown in). It could be the best money that you have ever spent.

+1

I'm very new to the sport and have been thinking about doing just that.....I go along with my dad and two of his mates who have all been shooting for years and have differing opinions on where im going wrong! Anyone know any decent instructors around Herts, London area? Would appreciate any feedback that anyone has after taking a lesson

+1

Best advice you will never regret it . coffee and sausages whats more sounds like nice friendly day out. I would go on your own. good luck.

I'm very new to the sport and have been thinking about doing just that.....I go along with my dad and two of his mates who have all been shooting for years and have differing opinions on where im going wrong! Anyone know any decent instructors around Herts, London area? Would appreciate any feedback that anyone has after taking a lesson

Contact bakerboy he is in herts and often found at A1 shooting ground

Having trouble shooting with both eyes open.wen I practice on corner of ceilling I seem to have it spot on with both eyes open but wen in feild following bird can c to barels is there much of a diffrence shooting with one eye or two

Practice in the field as your ceiling is a far cry from open ground....I shoot with both eyes open and quite often watching a second bird coming in from an angle..

Why waste a perfectly good eye when practice and discipline in the key, go watch a flush clay shoot and shut one eye!!

If you are lucky to be born with 2 good eyes then use them as in your daily life...

TEH