Wall Finishing.

owo1-man

Hi all,

Am in the process of decorating and after removing the wallpaper the finish under it is a tad lumpy, someone had painted it and then applied the wallpaper at a later date, and removing the paper has removed portions of paint.

The boss wants it painted, so whats the best way of getting the wall into good order other than a complete replaster, taking into account I'm doing 2 x lounge, hallway + stairway.

Someone mentioned Jointing Compound, do you roller it on or has it got to be applied by skreed.

Many thanks.

Hi all,

Am in the process of decorating and after removing the wallpaper the finish under it is a tad lumpy, someone had painted it and then applied the wallpaper at a later date, and removing the paper has removed portions of paint.

The boss wants it painted, so whats the best way of getting the wall into good order other than a complete replaster, taking into account I'm doing 2 x lounge, hallway + stairway.

Someone mentioned Jointing Compound, do you roller it on or has it got to be applied by skreed.

Many thanks.

I would get some Easi-fill.

Powdered bag of 5kg, mix up with water until it's a bit like soft ice cream.

Apply to patches which need smoothing into wall.

Very very easy to sand so you don't need to be perfect plasterer and much better than the paint on options. (Use 120 sandpaper)

This is quite quick and easy to use but it does depend exactly how much needs doing!

Link here - http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC300127

My other tips would be

- if wall crumbly/dusty then consider a stainblock or similar to seal

- do not buy the rapid set Easi fill, check work time is 70 mins on bag

- you need very very little water with this so be very careful if adding mixture to water and not water to mix

- when sanding wear a mask/goggles and seal doors, very fine and goes everywhere

Hi all,

Many thanks.

If you try and fill sections with jointing plaster you will be there forever, and probably still find a poor finish at the end of the day, applying lining paper is an art and is a finish I absolutely hate.

I am currently in the same position as you and doing my best to remove loose/flaky wall paint in preparation for a lot of skimming work!

Depends what the original paint under the paper is and if you can prevent the loose edges from lifting when you apply fresh paint on top.

If you're just filling to the depth of a coat of paint it wont be a problem if the existing paint is waterbased, but there again subsequent sanding may lift loose paint at the edges again and then you're back to square one.

Personally I would key it and then apply a thin coat of uni-bond before either skimming it with thistle bond or one coat or apply a heavyweight lining paper prior to painting.

Out of interest how would you caulk it? Or was this tongue in cheek?

Decorators caulk. It's fine for small cracks and holes but not really any good for patches of missing paint much bigger than the width of a 50p coin.

Polycel make a filler for just what you are describing, but if not applied evenly it's still to sand, which again runs the risk of more peeling paint.

Decorators caulk. It's fine for small cracks and holes but not really any good for patches of missing paint much bigger than the width of a 50p coin.

Polycel make a filler for just what you are describing, but if not applied evenly it's still to sand, which again runs the risk of more peeling paint.

i mean proper caulk that you mix in a bucket not the stuff that comes in a silicon type tube

Yes appreciate that - not my suggestion though ;)

i mean proper caulk that you mix in a bucket not the stuff that comes in a silicon type tube

Ok that makes more sense - not something I've ever used if honest.

I would get some Easi-fill.

Powdered bag of 5kg, mix up with water until it's a bit like soft ice cream.

Apply to patches which need smoothing into wall.

Very very easy to sand so you don't need to be perfect plasterer and much better than the paint on options. (Use 120 sandpaper)

This is quite quick and easy to use but it does depend exactly how much needs doing!

Link here - http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC300127

My other tips would be

- if wall crumbly/dusty then consider a stainblock or similar to seal

- do not buy the rapid set Easi fill, check work time is 70 mins on bag

- you need very very little water with this so be very careful if adding mixture to water and not water to mix

- when sanding wear a mask/goggles and seal doors, very fine and goes everywhere

2nd this, and the Joint compound owo1-man is talking about, it's called "putty coating" mix a "Lite" cement so it is like yoghurt, in a roller bucket, roller it on the wall in areas no bigger than a metre square, then trowel it back off, when dry, lightly sand

Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IBUniNenAU#t=7