Hows your season went?

Wildfowler325

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a very good season on the geese, had quite a few birds and shot better than average but the ducks were a different story. All the usual places where I would hope to see a few mallard coming in at night were dead and my shooting was appalling when I did get a chance. I was shooting too far ahead every time. I would have said there was fewer mallard around this season but a lot more teal, I shot more teal this season than any season before. I have been quite busy at home working on our extension so I haven't been out through the day walking up ditches or decoying splashes which usually puts a few birds in the bag over the course of the season. But as they say the birds will stay fresher on the wing and if I am spared there will always be another season.

Happy hunting :good:

Edited by aister

My season was also good until early January when all the duck went in land shot ok apart from one tide flight when I could not hit a barn door my excuse is that I had lent my auto to a mate to come up to Norfolk to help you boys out on the pinks and had to use my o/u which will not take my favorite 3" Gambore Mamoths best flight of the season wasted oh well he is a good mate and did get 4 Pinks :)

Only went down once .. I walked 100 yards onto the marsh fell over the dog. Got up walked off and never been back since. .

I just like sitting in my armchair on my laptop .. it's much more interesting .. that way I don't get wet. . Cold or dirty .. plus I can talk a good talk on the Internet. .

LONG LIVE THE ARMCHAIR WILDFOWLER. .

Should be banned for out of range shooting.

Haven't we been down this road before...

I think mr digweed had his guns taken off him shortly after the video of him shooting pigeons at long distances . How come people will credit him for shooting no end of pigeons at 80 yards and most probably wound even more . But some chap says he shot an 80 yard wigeon and everyone wants to jump on his back. Who aint shot at the odd duck or pigeon out of range , we all do it from time to time and if you say you don't your full of it.

I think mr digweed had his guns taken off him shortly after the video of him shooting pigeons at long distances . How come people will credit him for shooting no end of pigeons at 80 yards and most probably wound even more . But some chap says he shot an 80 yard wigeon and everyone wants to jump on his back. Who aint shot at the odd duck or pigeon out of range , we all do it from time to time and if you say you don't your full of it.

I don't credit him for his long range shooting, 80 yard wigeon is just down right stupid. Get caught doing that in a wildfowling club and it can lead to big trouble. Get seen by the public blasting away at out of range stuff and a 80 yard wigeon soon turns into 150yards etc etc.

The average tree is 15yds high a big poplar can go25yds a pylon is 30 yds high so if you killed bird twice the hight of a tree (30yds) would you think it an average shot or a good shot? Would you even put you gun up to a bird twice the hight of a pylon (I think not) there's a lot of s--t talked about range from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

HB.

First of all don't believe all you hear on the video's featuring GD. He may occasionally take the odd long range pigeon, but it's by no means the norm. He is an exceptional shot and uses lead when shooting pigeons.

Most people shooting duck use cartridges that simply aren't capable of killing birds at 80 yards.

I know my limits, and my gun/cartridge limits, so no I don't take shots that I feel are out of range or beyond my capabilities. What would be the point in knowing I'm likely to miss or injure a bird?

Of course, like everyone else, I've injured birds in the past, but not by deliberately 'pushing' my boundaries or trying to test myself.

It seems that having an ethical approach to my shooting makes me 'full of it' in your eyes. I would suggest that says more about you and your way of shooting than it does me and mine.

The average tree is 15yds high a big poplar can go25yds a pylon is 30 yds high so if you killed bird twice the hight of a tree (30yds) would you think it an average shot or a good shot? Would you even put you gun up to a bird twice the hight of a pylon (I think not) there's a lot of s--t talked about range from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

HB.

+1

First of all don't believe all you hear on the video's featuring GD. He may occasionally take the odd long range pigeon, but it's by no means the norm. He is an exceptional shot and uses lead when shooting pigeons.

Most people shooting duck use cartridges that simply aren't capable of killing birds at 80 yards.

I know my limits, and my gun/cartridge limits, so no I don't take shots that I feel are out of range or beyond my capabilities. What would be the point in knowing I'm likely to miss or injure a bird?

Of course, like everyone else, I've injured birds in the past, but not by deliberately 'pushing' my boundaries or trying to test myself.

It seems that having an ethical approach to my shooting makes me 'full of it' in your eyes. I would suggest that says more about you and your way of shooting than it does me and mine.

no mate so you've never knocked something down to which somone may of said to you that was a hell of a way , your out of range might be my in range or the other way round. Ive shot against george and even beaten him ( not saying I'm anywhere near as consistent as him) but I Would never claim to knock stuff down at 80 yards but I will say this . You don't know your boundries unless you've tested them to find out what out of range is. Also I have never changed my ranges from lead to steel and I haven't found that I wound anymore duck that I did with lead. I'm not saying steel is just as good but it's saying I know my limits, Edited by jayDT10

HB.

Yes, BASC had guess the range of a pigeon decoy at a game fair few years back I don't seem to remember / think that one shotgunner got it correct a few airgun lads did though. Problem is when one guy says they can hit and kill at 80 yards with their special chokes or fast special home-loads and mis- represents the range by mistake another few think "I bet I can do that and have a go at an ACTUAL 80yards". What I say is pace out 80 yards put a paper target up and have a crack at it, then when you see just how poor the shot count is work out the velocity and energy at said range.

FYI

Number 3 steel fired @ 1315 fps is doing 425 fps at only 70 yards energy per pellet is 1.1 ft- lb, time of flight 0.315 seconds . IT DROPS 14", and lead for a 45 mph target is 20.8 feet WINDAGE at 10mph 27.4"

Now tell me again how far you can cleanly shoot a widgeon with any degree of reliability :lol:

HB.

Remember to triangulate the distance the shot travels unless you take the shot straight over the top of your head its a lot further :good: Most out of range shooting on the saltmarsh is off the flight line rather than high IMO

no mate so you've never knocked something down to which somone may of said to you that was a hell of a way , your out of range might be my in range or the other way round. Ive shot against george and even beaten him ( not saying I'm anywhere near as consistent as him) but I Would never claim to knock stuff down at 80 yards but I will say this . You don't know your boundries unless you've tested them to find out what out of range is. Also I have never changed my ranges from lead to steel and I haven't found that I seem to wound anymore duck that I did with lead. I'm not saying steel is just as good but it's saying I know my limits,

I remember an interview he did for the field, he said widgeon on evening flight was the most challenging shooting he did. I seem to remember he gave his average for a particular flight and though impressive there were certainly missed birds. ITS DEAD WRONG to bring the guy into this without him having a say. If someone was using me as example like this I should be a very angry man (not that I wield a shotgun like he certainly can)

I remember an interview he did for the field, he said widgeon on evening flight was the most challenging shooting he did. I seem to remember he gave his average for a particular flight and though impressive there were certainly missed birds. ITS DEAD WRONG to bring the guy into this without him having a say. If someone was using me as example like this I should be a very angry man (not that I wield a shotgun like he certainly can)

fair enough ,my apologies . But I'm only quoting things said by him and fieldsport Britain as you are from the field .

There is a couple of guys up here who brag about the ranges they can shoot, according to one he said his AYA 25 with 36gr no3 could knock geese down at 80 yards all day!!!!!! I always think if you stand at one end of a football pitch and look down towards the other end its a long way off, if a goose or a duck went past at the penalty spot I wouldn't even consider lifting the gun to it.

There is a couple of guys up here who brag about the ranges they can shoot, according to one he said his AYA 25 with 36gr no3 could knock geese down at 80 yards all day!!!!!! I always think if you stand at one end of a football pitch and look down towards the other end its a long way off, if a goose or a duck went past at the penalty spot I wouldn't even consider lifting the gun to it.

That's a good one :good: , one man's 80 yards is another's 50 and so on. I dropped a Mallard early season at a decent height, around 45 yards directly over me. I knew before i took the shot what pattern i have at that range due to extensive pre season testing. And i also know that is nearing the effective range of the gun/cartridge/choke that i was using, I agree with Kent that most shots at out of range birds are because they are off line rather then to high.

I do find it quite odd that people applaud Mr Digweed's supposed ability to kill 80-90 yard birds but attack another individual who claimed that they killed one 80 yard wigeon. The criticism for both individuals should be the same, regardless of skill or how many world titles have been won.

Any one shooting at 80 yrd birds in my club would soon find them self's looking for somewhere else to shoot and they would have to look farther afield as my club would inform all local clubs of there actions and any other club that asked.

HB.

This is quite true and a good a way as any to end your wildfowling days south of the border in clubland

Went out yesterday with low expectations due to poor weather conditions.

Anyhow as I reached my intended spot I was greeted with the sight of several hundred teal sitting in the main creek a good sign I thought if they are to come back.

While I was setting out the decoys and building the hide a good 200-300 teal came up the creek from further back in the marsh by now I was in a real rush. Soon I was settled down in the hide with the dog and the gun, I didn't have a long wait until I had my first shot a single teal came whizzing by and I gracefully missed bang bang. Next a bunch of about 10 came by I hit the first one which planed out onto the other side of the creek which was a long retrieve for the dog.

By now the water was at my decoys I had a group of 4 wigeon and a group of 6 teal all nicely bobbing away in the bay off the creek, 4 teal came over my right shoulder which I didn't see in time but there were two following as they came past just over the decoys I missed again well behind to my surprise.

Then a single teal came in nicely which I bagged first shot after a bit of indifferent shooting. Soon large numbers of teal were moving next a group of 8 came straight into the decoys as I went to shoot nothing happened. The gun was not working as you can imagine a few selective words were used. So I had a look at it and found it was that something was in the trigger mechanising so I stripped it down, while I was doing this I had bunch after bunch of teal landing in the decoys and there was nothing I could do at one time there were 16 teal swimming around in front of me.

I did manage to get it going after a long while but by the then the best part of the flight was over I finished with 6 teal in the bag and lost two. So after a bit of poor shooting gun failure I had done ok.

That's wildfowling for you still had a great day and the dog had a good bit of work.