Does anyone use 'Non Gun Oil Oil'

mickyh

Since there is no such thing as 'Gun' Oil, there are just lots of types of oil which are suited to different jobs.

Does anyone use anything strange?

I've been reading about using Fully Synthetic Engine Oil (sticks to metal).

This is not a money saving thread,I'm just interested in what different people use and the results they get.

Even though the mark up on a tiny tin of oil must be huge!

Looking on the internet I've found a few Guys in the USA swear by Gearbox oil (ATF) and have had no problems in 30 years of use!

Some mix their own recipes?

Just some thoughts?

Mick

Shotguns. - When i first started i used some napier spray and its very good stuff, along with gun oil.. anyway its an expensive habit.

Now i use a bronze brush, jag, then oily mop soaked with 3 in 1.

Muzzle loader -

Olive oil after boiling water and fairy liquid and the afore mentioned rods to clean.

Re: "Looking on the internet I've found a few Guys in the USA swear by Gearbox oil (ATF) and have had no problems in 30 years of use!"

A 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone makes an excellent freeing agent for rusted metal parts. Better than most purpose made penetrating oils. But of course if you look after your guns you'll never need such an oil. :-)

I use 3in1 inside and out but Youngs 303 smells the best!

Re: "Looking on the internet I've found a few Guys in the USA swear by Gearbox oil (ATF) and have had no problems in 30 years of use!"

A 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone makes an excellent freeing agent for rusted metal parts. Better than most purpose made penetrating oils. But of course if you look after your guns you'll never need such an oil. :-)

I use 3in1 inside and out but Youngs 303 smells the best![/quote

Does the modern stuff still smell the same?

I heard they had to change the formula because it was carcinogenic, I used to get covered in the stuff on a Saturday at closing time when I worked in the Gunshop as a teenager !

Iirc, the original Youngs 303 contained cresylic acid (the smelly stuff in creosote), which is carcinogenic -hence the change of recipe, and it not smelling like it did when I were a lad!

I have recently been using hv contact cleaner as a powder solvent - designed to get the carbon deposits off the contacts of 11kV switchgear. Seems to work quite well, and it was free... :D

Makes me laff all the so called dedicate gun cleaning products on the market ... though judging by their revenue income generated, and the endorsements, especially from the American market that unfortunately tends to seep over here, l can understand them being made and sold "on a strictly financial basis" ... coals to Newcastle, anyone?

Iirc, the original Youngs 303 contained cresylic acid (the smelly stuff in creosote), which is carcinogenic -hence the change of recipe, and it not smelling like it did when I were a lad!

I have recently been using hv contact cleaner as a powder solvent - designed to get the carbon deposits off the contacts of 11kV switchgear. Seems to work quite well, and it was free... :D

Ah, the benifits of having paid work.

Those scroungers cant pinch what we can !

Tongue in cheek mate-Nice one

So if I mix a touch of creosote with some 3 in 1 I might get close to the smell ?

I use a graphite based penetrating oil (spray) on both my semis which keeps the actions operating smoothly for far longer periods than any other oil I've used.

It also does a great job of keeping the handbrake self adjusting mechanism on our Volvo working despite the volumes of mud, grit and other **** that it gets covered in. Everything else I've used in the past proved useless with the mechanism becoming jammed at least once a month, even after a good session with the jet washer!

Ah, the benifits of having paid work.

Those scroungers cant pinch what we can !

Tongue in cheek mate-Nice one

So if I mix a touch of creosote with some 3 in 1 I might get close to the smell ?

A bucket full of spray cans was left in the generator room at work by a contractor - Elf'n'Safety went ape about it (flammables stored in a HV area), so it had to be removed from site asap. Most convenient! Thought I'd try it, and it works.

For the authentic 303 smell, just open a can of creosote next to where you clean your gun :)