Who had my pigeons head ?

caeser

I was out decoying yesterday over rape, I had shot a few and put them into the decoy pattern and around about lunchtime, when things had gone a bit too quiet, I decided to take a walk through some woods, to see if I could bag a squirrel or two. I was gone for, maybe an hour at the most, and on my return I noticed a few loose feathers around one of the pigeons that I had shot earlier. I went to have a closer look. Now this particular bird had dropped only about 5 yards from my hide in front of me, and all I had done was , run out and prop it up where it was as a decoy.

When I got to it, I was surprised to see it's head had gone. Something had feasted on it's head in the short period that I was away. I think that the top half of it's skull was still there. No skin on it or anything. You can just see it in the picture.

Now what did that ?

I'm was thinking, weasel, stoat, rat ? There was also a sparrow hawk hanging around for a lot of the day. :hmm:

20140221_132442_zpsf78a1772.jpg

I also took a picture of the rainbow. Looked great in reality, but the picture looks a lot less special, almost boring, sorry. :rolleyes:

20140221_134623_zps6661b855.jpg

A BOP would have carried it off to a plucking post and the head wouldn't have been eaten. The flesh would have been stripped from the breast first. A Stoat would probably have moved the carcass also, whereas a weasel would struggle with an adult pigeon and they normally eat larger carrion insitu so my best guess would be weasel.

Is your hide set in front of an oak canopy

A BOP would have carried it off to a plucking post and the head wouldn't have been eaten. The flesh would have been stripped from the breast first. A Stoat would probably have moved the carcass also, whereas a weasel would struggle with an adult pigeon and they normally eat larger carrion insitu so my best guess would be weasel.

Is your hide set in front of an oak canopy

My first though was stoat or weasel. I like your reasoning so on balance I thick a weasel is most likely.

Thats been a sparrowhawk and the reason for lack of feathers is it has been disturbed before it has begun to feed properly. Often on bigger birds like pigeons and partridges the sparrowhawk removes the head and begins to eat from the back rather than the breast like usual. This is because they struggle to move the bird after take down.

I had a hooded crow do that to a mallard. I had hung the mallard on a fence meaning to pick it up on the way back to the car as I had forgotten my bag, when I got back I saw a crow get up from where I had left it. I was expecting the crow to have destroyed it but it was just the head gone.

Thats been a sparrowhawk and the reason for lack of feathers is it has been disturbed before it has begun to feed properly. Often on bigger birds like pigeons and partridges the sparrowhawk removes the head and begins to eat from the back rather than the breast like usual. This is because they struggle to move the bird after take down.

My thoughts too, seen the same in pheasant pens with young poults