Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500

inderraj

Hey guys,

Been looking at buying a Pump for a while now, had a look at all different models and managed to narrow it down to these two shotguns.

Just wanted to know everyone's opinions and experiences with these 2 Shotguns, which would be a better buy. Gun will be used for a bit of fun really. Money is not an issue.

Indy

If money is not an issue then it has to be the 870. I like my mossberg but everything about it is built down to a price wherever it can be. The 870 is a bit more expensive for a reason.

Yeah that's fair, The mossberg just seems to be more tried and tested from what i've read.

What about a Mossberg 590 ? It's a very solid, reliable shotgun.

I was looking at that too, that could be added into the list, its the military version isnt it?

Indy

I've owned both, they are both great guns, but the Remington is the better in my opinion. As has been said, the Mossberg does the job, but feels a bit cheap, whereas a Wingmaster feels really good. I don't know about the cycling thing, for my money a WM is much MUCH smoother than a 500.

I would never sell my Wingmaster.

Rem 870, very good gun from what I've seen/herd although I've never shot one.

Mossy 500/600/Maverick 88 ((all the same gun apart from the Maverick 88 which has the safety on the trigger mech and not on the tang as with all the other Mossies) 600 was a 500 branded as a Newhaven 600 for a US department store) very good guns only limited on mag capacity (no way of extending them) either 2 + 1, 5 + 1 or 7 + 1 all barrels are interchangeable between these models as long as the mag capacity and gauge match (barrels can be multi choked, cylinder bore or vari-choked).

Mossy 590/590A1 Military spec 500 with thicker barrel walls, steel trigger guard and no choke, barrels are interchangeable with the 835 but not 500, mags can be extended.

Mossy 835 3.5 inch chambered back bored barrels with multi chokes same configuration as 500 but barrels will not interchange, mags can be extended.

Mossy 535 3.5 inch chambered 500 with standard size bore not sure whether or not the barrels will fit anything else.

Hope this gives you a better idea, all the above guns are good hope you find what you are after.

Out of the 2 guns above I own a mossy 500 Hushpower and personally I think it is the best gun going! I can bolt all sort of torches, pistol grips and different stocks onto it. When it gets dirty wash it in a river and it will fire and cycle any cartridge on the market. in fact it is so good for lamping with a kree led torch bolted on it, it almost takes the skill out of shooting!

Before you buy, which 870 is it? WIngmaster? Then yes, get 870.

I ask because I bought a brand new Express Supermag and I have had some problems with low-brass cartridges sticking in the breech (and therefore causing extraction failure). It's my understanding the 500 doesn't have this problem. I was in the same situation as you and opted for the 870, and kind of wish I'd gotten the 500 now, with the double extractors.

I ask because I bought a brand new Express Supermag and I have had some problems with low-brass cartridges sticking in the breech (and therefore causing extraction failure).

I lurk on the American forums quite a bit and the Lore is that 870 Express chambers are poorly finished. A common recommendation is for new owners to polish - or even *hone* - the chambers of their new guns...

I seem to remember one poster stating that he discovered a ridge just *outside* of the chamber (on the barrel extension) that he Dremelled off. He claimed that this cured the problem on *his* gun.

Regards,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

I lurk on the American forums quite a bit and the Lore is that 870 Express chambers are poorly finished. A common recommendation is for new owners to polish - or even *hone* - the chambers of their new guns...

I seem to remember one poster stating that he discovered a ridge just *outside* of the chamber (on the barrel extension) that he Dremelled off. He claimed that this cured the problem on *his* gun.

Regards,

Mark.

Yep, this is exactly the problem. However, confusion happens because there are two distinct problems, both with the same (or similar) solution:

The test is, to place a cartridge in the breech/chamber, and then tilt the barrel up. If the cartridge sticks, then there is a ridge there that needs grinding down (if the gun is new, send it back at this point). If the cartridge slides out with ease, but you still experience stuck cartridges after they've been fired, it's a polishing issue. From what I've gathered, the barrels ship with some parkerization or something inside the barrel, which causes the spent cartridge to stick. Solution for me was to get a barrel brush and wrap it in some steel wool, hook it up to a dowel and insert into a power drill. Run that in the chamber for a few minutes and then clean it up. Keep doing this after shooting the next couple times, and eventually the jams stop.

Last time I shot with low-brass (cheap CompX carts) I only had one stick out of 50, down from one every 5/6.