Wild beavers

Paul223

Some eco idiot has probably let a few slip away, same thing happened in Stour, Kent.

Rewilding is a highly dubious practice. Using beavers to improve wetlands is an excuse for psuedo ecologists and citizen scientists to play with nature. Beavers are no longer relevant, they have been extinct for too long. If we are going to go down this route why dont we bring back chuffing bears and wolves. May as well bring back bubonic plague whilst we are at it also.

PAH!!!!!!

Beavers worked wonders in Yellowstone National Park, but this ain't Yellowstone.

Some eco idiot has probably let a few slip away, same thing happened in Stour, Kent.

Rewilding is a highly dubious practice. Using beavers to improve wetlands is an excuse for psuedo ecologists and citizen scientists to play with nature. Beavers are no longer relevant, they have been extinct for too long. If we are going to go down this route why dont we bring back chuffing bears and wolves. May as well bring back bubonic plague whilst we are at it also.

PAH!!!!!!

PAH!!!!!!

Steady on old chap .... google muddymatches.co.uk and end this frustration

Beavers worked wonders in Yellowstone National Park, but this ain't Yellowstone.

Its yet another example of enviro quango's playing with nature. Beavers are no longer relevant in the UK. If they find their way back here under their own steam (which they never will) we will be witnessing the occurence of a natural process. Some divot turfing out a crate of beavers with the blessing of Natural Chuffing England is about as natural as introducing polar bears to the sahara. It really gets on my mammary glands.

Its yet another example of enviro quango's playing with nature. Beavers are no longer relevant in the UK. If they find their way back here under their own steam (which they never will) we will be witnessing the occurence of a natural process. Some divot turfing out a crate of beavers with the blessing of Natural Chuffing England is about as natural as introducing polar bears to the sahara. It really gets on my mammary glands.

And what makes you think that NE has anything to do with it, or any other government quango for that matter.

Oh and just to set the record straight, DEFRA are investigating where they came from.

And what makes you think that NE has anything to do with it, or any other government quango for that matter.

Oh and just to set the record straight, DEFRA are investigating where they came from.

They have been introduced under licence in parts of the UK, NE grants the licenses.

I'm not surprised DEFRA are investigating where they came from. It's highly unlikely they've managed to remain unseen for 200 years. It smells a bit of unauthorised release.

It mirrors the illegal release of Asian otters into our rivers, when are natural otter is making a recovery. There is nothing an otter can do to improve things that a chainsaw cannot but a lot of harm can come from these crazy introductions. Correct that as they make nice hats!

They have been introduced under licence in parts of the UK, NE grants the licenses.

Not these according to last evenings TV news.

They spent 5 minutes discussing them on the news and showing footage and DEFRA statement saying how unlawful the release was and that they were mounting an investigation.

Not these according to last evenings TV news.

They spent 5 minutes discussing them on the news and showing footage and DEFRA statement saying how unlawful the release was and that they were mounting an investigation.

Well that for me is the worrying thing. The animals must have been

Were do beavers fit in with our recent flooding problems, I really can't see them helping if they stat building dams !

This is a very serious issue potentially. Their dams may provide a degree of attenuation in the upland catchment but what happens when they decide to disperse? Their dams will be protected under law as are badger sets. It's total nut ache finding billy has partially blocked your watercourse with his earth works, imagine a chuffing beaver dam!!

I've seen evidence of these. But I cannot reveal where, let's just say it was somewhere between Herts and Essex. Definitely a beaver, trees felled by chewing to a pencil point and chips all around. I sent photos to a friend in Scandinavia and asked him what he thought could have done it, he answered categorically a beaver, no question. This was about two years ago.

The thing arrived, did it's work and then just as swiftly, disappeared never to be seen again. Weird.

What are you, some kind of beaver bigot? :lol:

While unlawful releases should be investigated and people responsible punished, beavers are a native species and only became extinct a few hundred years ago - and entirely due to human activity. That's an ecological blink of an eye and I support reintroductions. The extinction of the beaver was in no way natural and reintroduction makes sense as there is ample habitat for them in most parts of the country. Saying that reintroducing beavers is interfering with nature is like saying culling grey squirrels (or any alien invasive) is unnatural - in those situations you're actually trying to rectify a man made situation.

They are great for wetland restoration and management and their activities benefit lots of other species including a number of threatened ones.

Edited by Reece

I think some Polar bears were released in the Sahara to support a theory about the last ice age, not sure how there doing!

While unlawful releases should be investigated and people responsible punished... Yes they should, the animals culled and damage costs borne by the person or agency

They are great for wetland restoration and management and their activities benefit lots of other species including a number of threatened ones. Not on a major Salmon river like the Tay they are not.

Here`s just some of the damage done over the past 2 years here.

...and a fairly big tree too, but none in the water strangely ???

post-1301-0-77384300-1393681297_thumb.jpg

post-1301-0-31567100-1393681406_thumb.jpg