Yes or No

fruity

Ok here is one for all you safety fanatics. Say I walk across the marsh with my auto on a sling. Empty chamber, bolt close, two in the mag and the safety off. Is that gun safe?

The answer is yes.

As for the op. From a bad picture how can we tell? I certainly won't put a flag in my gun, but if the bolt is open how is it any less safe than a broken over under. It's another case of snobbery

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok here is one for all you safety fanatics. Say I walk across the marsh with my auto on a sling. Empty chamber, bolt close, two in the mag and the safety off. Is that gun safe?

The answer is yes.

As for the op. From a bad picture how can we tell? I certainly won't put a flag in my gun, but if the bolt is open how is it any less safe than a broken over under. It's another case of snobbery

I'd agree with your scenario being safe, being made ready to fire by ripping the bolt back allowing it to go forward under its own steam

The guys not walking anywhere, he's stood at the stand, I'd imagine waiting to take his turn, there's nowt wrong with the way he's holding the gun and there's nowt wrong with the gun, this topic is however showing up those people who are anti semiauto!

Paul.

I know he is only standing there,but how did he get there?

When I go on game or rough shoots with up to possibly twenty guns we have to walk rough ground and obstacles between drives.

Haha,you think I am anti semi-auto,you make I larf. My most used gun is a 5shot 1187.

ATB Bryan.

the way I see it is, would you feel safe around him?

I don't think I would, the only time id hold any firearm in such a manner is if I was in a vehicle, otherwise I wouldn't, even if it was clear. If I was traveling in a helicopter id have the barrel facing downwards. I always have the breach open and the barrel resting on my toes or at least pointing down, it helps others around you feel safe, and you know nothing will happen to anyone else.

just my 0.02 cents

I certainly won't put a flag in my gun, but if the bolt is open how is it any less safe than a broken over under. It's another case of snobbery

A flag is brightly coloured and used on a clay range so it can be seen from a distance the beech is open. A break open action OU or Sbs don't need a flag as you can see the breech is open from a distance as the stock and barrels don't line up. Barrel awareness is still needed as neither is proofing the chamber is empty.

Paul.

I know he is only standing there,but how did he get there?

When I go on game or rough shoots with up to possibly twenty guns we have to walk rough ground and obstacles between drives.

Haha,you think I am anti semi-auto,you make I larf. My most used gun is a 5shot 1187.

ATB Bryan.

Do you really expect him to keep it slipped until he is stood in the cage?

And how does having it slipped make it any more safe?

The picture is poor but to me it does not look like it's pointing at anyone, the angle of the picture doesn't help that either!

My pet hate is snap caps going in any gun as the shooter comes off a stand, gun going in slip and being pointed in all directions whilst doing so!

If the chamber is empty, I can't see a problem. It's no worse than the guy on the right, resting his o/u on his foot. Holding it the way he is would make me feel fairly comfortable that the gun is not loaded, after all, who would be dumb enough to hold a loaded shotgun like that.

It seems to me that a few people perceive semi auto users as being less safe somehow than o/u users?

When I used to use a semi-auto on clays I would check the gun was clear before shooting, then 2 shells loaded in the stand...bang bang, bolt was back and gun was empty. Depending on the distance to the next stand I may or may not have slipped the gun, purely for ease of carrying. I never felt the need to prove my gun was empty to all and sundry. A cursory glance at the action would tell anyone it was safe.

I'm not saying flags are a bad idea, just that they're not really a necessity, as some seem to think.

It seems to me that a few people perceive semi auto users as being less safe somehow than o/u users?

When I used to use a semi-auto on clays I would check the gun was clear before shooting, then 2 shells loaded in the stand...bang bang, bolt was back and gun was empty. Depending on the distance to the next stand I may or may not have slipped the gun, purely for ease of carrying. I never felt the need to prove my gun was empty to all and sundry. A cursory glance at the action would tell anyone it was safe.

I'm not saying flags are a bad idea, just that they're not really a necessity, as some seem to think.

Couldn't agree more!

But the question is --- is it unsafe or not , appearing unsafe is completely different to being unsafe , to be fair the only person who can give 100% definitive answer is the shooter .

It's neither, we just don't know from that picture whether the chamber is open but he appears to be covering the end of the barrel with his gripped hand, that IS poor practice regardless.

For the record I prefer being in close proximity to slick, experienced shooters who don't routinely use a flag insert than newbies who fumble around with them at the start and finish of every stand, the latter seem to be the type who use flags.

the way I see it is, would you feel safe around him?

I don't think I would, the only time id hold any firearm in such a manner is if I was in a vehicle, otherwise I wouldn't, even if it was clear. If I was traveling in a helicopter id have the barrel facing downwards. I always have the breach open and the barrel resting on my toes or at least pointing down, it helps others around you feel safe, and you know nothing will happen to anyone else.

just my 0.02 cents

I imagine most pigeon shooters (as I do) will hold their gun pointing upright - and loaded - in the hide at some point. This is not dangerous, as long as I don't have any part of my body above the muzzle. The shooter in the picture is totally safe, in my opinion, as long as the gun is unloaded with the bolt back.

A flag is brightly coloured and used on a clay range so it can be seen from a distance the beech is open. A break open action OU or Sbs don't need a flag as you can see the breech is open from a distance as the stock and barrels don't line up. Barrel awareness is still needed as neither is proofing the chamber is empty.

Why do you need to see at a distance that the gun is safe?

It's neither, we just don't know from that picture whether the chamber is open but he appears to be covering the end of the barrel with his gripped hand, that IS poor practice regardless.

For the record I prefer being in close proximity to slick, experienced shooters who don't routinely use a flag insert than newbies who fumble around with them at the start and finish of every stand, the latter seem to be the type who use flags.

By that logic, then screwing in a choke is dangerous. I believe to change a choke, your hand usually covers the muzzle.

I imagine most pigeon shooters (as I do) will hold their gun pointing upright - and loaded - in the hide at some point. This is not dangerous, as long as I don't have any part of my body above the muzzle. The shooter in the picture is totally safe, in my opinion, as long as the gun is unloaded with the bolt back.

It is VERY hard to see properly but the bolt looks closed to me as it is so shiny ..... A void would be darker..?

Hi

Very good idea this post

Good to see how aware shooters are and safe or not it shows the safety awareness of members

I wonder what our views would have been if it had been a young teenager in the picture

Or a muzzle loader

Anyway have enjoyed the post and learned a lot from it

All the best

Of

Edited by Old farrier

Why shoud I have to second guess every semi-auto shooter on a clay ground, or scrutinise every breech. If I see a big red flag - it is an instant visual signal that a semi auto breech is empty. Same with a broken sbs or OU.

Why shoud I have to second guess every semi-auto shooter on a clay ground, or scrutinise every breech. If I see a big red flag - it is an instant visual signal that a semi auto breech is empty. Same with a broken sbs or OU.

Are you the gun safety police? Is the flag the first thing you look for if you see a semi auto on a clay ground? If you can't see a flag because it may be obscured, do you go up the user to get a closer look?

I don't see a need for a flag. Surely all that does is draw the attention to the flag so you can see that it is there. That doesn't mean that anyone else using a semi or otherwise is acting unsafely.

By that logic, then screwing in a choke is dangerous. I believe to change a choke, your hand usually covers the muzzle.

I know what you're saying but when changing chokes you do make a point of ensuring the gun is empty, here he is just standing there, what I'm saying is that it is poor practice to be covering the end of the barrel with your hand not that it is necessarily dangerous.