What Caliber does everyone use for hunting big game?

inderraj

Hey guys,

I was looking to invest in a Hunting Rifle, I am looking at a Remington 700 or similar, and was wandering what caliber you guys use? I've narrowed it down to 7mm or .308, what are the pros and cons for either of them.

Thank you

Edited by inderraj

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Do you have a firearm certificate ??? I'm not asking in a funny way, but before asking for a caliber to be use on game type, it's wise to establish the basics.

If you don't have one, it might be a problem for yourself to start with a 308, Feo are a little difficult , to say the least, when it comes down to newbies.

Atb

Mark

Yeah I have a firearm cert. I managed to get a .308 slot on there and i'll be getting full "training" from a close friend of mine who has been hunting and shooting for many years now,

Im going to take it nice and slow, i'd just rather get it right first time rather than buy again because it didn't feel right, if you know what i mean...

As an aside... .308 is enough gun for everything and anything deer wise in the UK.. some would argue that you could do with more for big reds but I would disagree.. 2.5k + ft/lbs will put anything down unless it's a. a **** shot or b. a sika.... those buggars would run if you put a tactical nuke in the boiler room!

The only thing (in my humble opinion) worthy of more gun (say .300 win mag territory or a bit bigger) would be boar... nasty, vicious **** when annoyed! lol :lol:

Anything else/bigger in blighty is just big boys toys and bragging rights! :rolleyes:

Edited by Vipa

So you've got a slot for .308 and now you are asking for what calier? Wouldnt that have been a question to ask before getting the variation...

Deer is not what we class as big game either.

.308 will cover all UK deer and be easy to find ammunition and rifles

So you've got a slot for .308 and now you are asking for what calier? Wouldnt that have been a question to ask before getting the variation...

Deer is not what we class as big game either.

.308 will cover all UK deer and be easy to find ammunition and rifles

I suspect like me, the OP when push comes to shove and he's about to spend his hard earned money, is just seeking confirmation that he's gone for the right caliber.

Won't be the first or last time I've done it, after all it's my hobby and half the fun is changing my mind.

I suspect like me, the OP when push comes to shove and he's about to spend his hard earned money, is just seeking confirmation that he's gone for the right caliber.

Won't be the first or last time I've done it, after all it's my hobby and half the fun is changing my mind.

thank you, exactly my point. A lot of people swear by different calibers and rifles, i just want to make sure im making the right decision...

thank you, exactly my point. A lot of people swear by different calibers and rifles, i just want to make sure im making the right decision...

Personally depending what you did in the Army you already know and understand the ballistics of 308 do I couldn't see the point of learning a new one.

I think it is a bit late to ask advice about which calibre to get, you first of all state you are thinking of 7 mm or 308. You then say that you have an FAC with a 308 slot on it. I think it is a forgone conclusion that you will get a .308 unless you also suddenly have a variation in to allow you to get which ever calibre we vote for on PW. Then again we all know this is not likely to be the case. :/

I think it is a bit late to ask advice about which calibre to get, you first of all state you are thinking of 7 mm or 308. You then say that you have an FAC with a 308 slot on it. I think it is a forgone conclusion that you will get a .308 unless you also suddenly have a variation in to allow you to get which ever calibre we vote for on PW. Then again we all know this is not likely to be the case. :/

i was just making sure that i made the right choice, sometimes you see things clearer after you've done them haha

Hi

A .308 will do all the deer species and boar in the UK. It will also do alot of the species in Europe (where a military calibre is permitted) as well as plains game in Africa and much of North America.

As said below a .300WM will do all of this with more authority and open up other species where the .308 may be considered marginal.

As also said a .375H&H will do just about any deer/antelope species anywhere but also opens up (at the lowest level in some countries) large, heavy, dangerous game species.

Having said this it can be down-loaded (210?, 235grns ) to do everything except the dangerous species.

L

Edited by Loki